Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:42 AM
madmustang4
Tourer

I do 2 up touring and pull a trailer so I currently have the EGUC.

I get the poop beat out of me when there is a strong side wind so I have been interested in the RGUC. To be honest, i've talked to guys who have had both (bat & shark) and I get different answers. Some say they dont see a whole lot of difference between the two out on the road. Others swear that the shark is much better in side winds.

Have also read that the wife will get more wind with the shark than the bat.
It appears that hands are exposed to more wind on the shark whereas they are behind the bat.

but i've never had a shark so dont know.

Old 06-24-2012 | 11:36 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by madmustang4
I do 2 up touring and pull a trailer so I currently have the EGUC.

I get the poop beat out of me when there is a strong side wind so I have been interested in the RGUC. To be honest, i've talked to guys who have had both (bat & shark) and I get different answers. Some say they dont see a whole lot of difference between the two out on the road. Others swear that the shark is much better in side winds.

Have also read that the wife will get more wind with the shark than the bat.
It appears that hands are exposed to more wind on the shark whereas they are behind the bat.

but i've never had a shark so dont know.
i don't know about 2 up riding since my wife has her own (rgc as well), but from all that i've heard/read, in order for the passenger to not get a lot of wind buffeting, you are gonna need a larger windscreen. which, admittedly, makes the bike lose some of its 'cool' factor. but its always form over function isn't it?

to the wind shear, i have been on fairly long rides with friends and when we've stopped, they have said that the wind was beating the hell out of them. my reply, 'what wind'.... i hadn't even noticed it.

hands behind the fairing vs not, the only time that is ever a problem is in the dead of winter (which lasts about 2 weeks here in la), and for that, i have a pair of the windproof hd winter gloves. works fine for me.

Old 06-24-2012 | 11:56 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member

'Oh, I paid $22,500 out the door with taxes, paper work and all for my RGU. The RGC or SG, both with abs would have cost me $22,700 out the door. They do not discount the "cool bikes".'

Me personally, I beg to differ. I paid $21,688 out the door for 2012 RGC Black Denim "cool bike" with ABS, Cruise, Security, and 5 year warranty. Deals are there to be had, just got to know how to negotiate and who to choose.

Old 06-24-2012 | 03:34 PM
scj
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
'Oh, I paid $22,500 out the door with taxes, paper work and all for my RGU. The RGC or SG, both with abs would have cost me $22,700 out the door. They do not discount the "cool bikes".'

Me personally, I beg to differ. I paid $21,688 out the door for 2012 RGC Black Denim "cool bike" with ABS, Cruise, Security, and 5 year warranty. Deals are there to be had, just got to know how to negotiate and who to choose.
I should of said "their cool bikes" I guess. Nevertheless since I was there looking at ultras only (my cool bike).
He mentioned $1000 off of any touring bike when it gets close to the new model year but no need to discount their best selling motorcycles if they don't have to.

This dealer gives 20% off all Harley stuff for 30 days after new bike purchase then 10 to 15 % off after that.

Old 07-05-2012 | 10:17 AM
Markusm
Road Master

Both my son and I are looking to do a dual purchase, He the Road Glide Ultra
and for me a Ultra limited.Not sure if we"re going with 2012 or lucky 13.
If you read this article http://www.thunderpress.net/Articles...12/Road_Glide/
It closes with a fuel comparison statement.My question is, can this be correct and do any of you RGU owners agree with these figures.
thanks
Mark

Old 07-05-2012 | 11:07 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought a 2006 SG that I still own. I have gradually turned it into a SG Ultra. I changed the shock to 13" ultra's, the handle bars, added Lowers and passing lamps, taller windshield, changed the seat etc. My signature pic is old and does not indicate these changes but my point is if I had to do it all over again I would purchase a Classic or Ultra.
The way I've done it I could have bought 2 bikes!

Old 07-05-2012 | 12:00 PM
buggin02
Road Captain

I don't know if this answers your question but my best riding buddy had an 06 EG Standard. He traded in Feb for a '12 RG Custom. After a 2k mile trip, he traded it last week for an '12 Ultra Classic, the suspension just wasn't good enough on the RG Custom. He just prefers the better ride of the EGs.

Old 07-05-2012 | 12:37 PM
g money
Account Retired

Originally Posted by buggin02
I don't know if this answers your question but my best riding buddy had an 06 EG Standard. He traded in Feb for a '12 RG Custom. After a 2k mile trip, he traded it last week for an '12 Ultra Classic, the suspension just wasn't good enough on the RG Custom. He just prefers the better ride of the EGs.
A change of the rear shocks would've cured that! No need for a whole new bike.

Old 07-06-2012 | 08:07 AM
buggin02
Road Captain

Originally Posted by g money
A change of the rear shocks would've cured that! No need for a whole new bike.
True but Progressive wanted $700 for a pair of rear shocks and he still wanted a tour pak for traveling (which would have been around $1200 with all the hardware). $700 + $1200 = one helluva down payment on a new bike. And acutally he bought a used 2012 Ultra with 8k miles, so his trade difference was only $2500.

Old 07-06-2012 | 10:34 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

I currently have and love a Night Train. But... as the new girlfriend loves to ride and I am finding it to be fewer and fewer times I am by myself I am looking at a (shudder) touring bike. I make 1 long trip a year and several over 300 miles so a bigger bike would be better for me. The NT can take it but it just feels cramped after awhile.

So that being said I am going with the RG Ultra. I personally like the shark fairing as you see way to many SG on the road now. I like the way is handles the wind and with the Ultra I get the lowers which will keep my legs from getting soaked as they do now in a heavy dew. I will be getting the parts to make the Tour Pak removable as I don't need that every day, and will be upgrading the seat so she is happy on the back.

Bottom line test drive them and take a long hard look at what you will be doing with it. Then, as stated figure in the changes you may have to make to make you happy and go for it. Good luck on your choice.

Quick Reply: Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons