Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:33 AM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red N Gold
your choice all the way but I just can't see myself riding a butt ugly road glide....but thats why they make different models. good luck with your choice
Do you really think that the above RG picture is butt ugly? I used to think that they were "too different". Now depending on color, I prefer them to certain Street Glides in terms of looks. It's a toss up.

Actually, I wish that HD would come out with an even nicer fairing, mounted to the frame, incorporating the best of the Shark and Bat attributes.

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:39 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not a big fan of Road Glides either,but I do like that one.

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:44 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TORQUEY

Anyone have feelings regarding the Street & Road handling as opposed to the Ultras? Regarding the suspension "sucking" on all HDs, true to a point, but I feel cushy as heck on my Softail until I hit a really big bump, so I guess all would seem great to me.
the roadglide custom and the streetglide comes with 12'' shocks standard, while the others come with 13'' shocks. that one inch of travel does make a difference in ride comfort.

however, it is no big deal to change one out for the other. lots of folks add the longer shocks to their rgc/sg while guys with ultras go with the 12''s.....

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:46 AM
stevepacman
Road Master

I've ridden with 16 and 18" front wheels on a touring bike. Now I'm running 19" on my Roadglide. It's hard to notice any difference. As far as the look of the Ultra vs the Custom...?? Get a custom and do the detachable thing. Backrest, Tourpak, etc. Though I think the chopped tourpak looks best with the St Glide or Roadglide Custom.

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:50 AM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I have a street glide and I have done quite a bit of work to it. I love my bike and I can ride it anywhere, took it out to Sturgis last year, there and back , 500+ mile days, no problem at all.

While I love my bike and think it's very cool, if something were to happen to it I'd buy an Ultra Limited, change the pipes, have the heads worked and throw in an Andrews 54 and call it done.

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:00 AM
jimharvey1
Advanced

Pull the trigger on an Ultra-Classic and ride. You will not be disappointed. You can debate forever on this and then not be happy with whatever you get because of the "I coulda hadda" blues. Like the **** commercial says... "JUST DO IT!"

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:12 AM
scj
Road Warrior

Some of the benefits of the RGU for me were/are; solid tires (no white pin stripes), ABS & Security comes as standard equipment, no bag rails, cleaner rear fender (no bumper), tail lights and signals from the '09 SG, clean front fender (no bumper), lowers, tour pak, cruise, rear floor boards.

The only thing I dislike about my RGU is the striping.
This winter's project will be to have everything from the stripe up painted orange.

Oh, I paid $22,500 out the door with taxes, paper work and all for my RGU. The RGC or SG, both with abs would have cost me $22,700 out the door. They do not discount the "cool bikes".
A tequilla sunrise Limited (love the color) would have been over $26k out the door.

For me personally, this bike is a hands down better riding bike than any other I've owned as far as not feeling "beat up" after a days ride. My previous touring bikes were from '99 EG, several RK's, '07 Ultra (absolutely hated this bike), '08 SG (113" engine; fast and fun. Loved this bike) & '11 CVO SESG2 (too pretty).

Last edited by scj; 06-24-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2012 | 09:23 AM
Deadmaninc6666
Intermediate

Those who said, "It's all about what YOU want" are very true. Although I have never road a SG or a RG, I went from a Heritage Softail Classic to the Ultra Classic Limited. I love it more than anything. This is how I came to my decision and why.
1. I knew I was gonna ride it every day, including back and fourth to work and long distances on the weekends.
Ultra had all the storage space I needed to carry all my raingear, helmet, lunch box, change of clothes before and after work. Ability to fit all the wifes raingear and helmet and cooler and extra clothing for overnight trips or extended weekend trips.
2. Features I knew I wanted were included.
Radio, CB, intercon system, ABS, security, heated hand grips, cruise. (I know most have these, but not all).
3. I love the SG look A LOT. Has to be the best looking bike out there!
The lack of storage space I needed. I can always get the detach kit for that SG look if I ever wanted to.
4. I just didn't like the RG look at all. I'm sure it's very comfortable and I have had friends tell me it handles much better in windy conditions. I just couldn't get over the big fairing look.
I'm a weekend warrior rider. I do the short distance and long distance rides, including overnight trips. The best selling factor was the storage space.
Ask yourself these questions.
How do I ride?
How often?
How long?
1up or 2up for most of your riding time?
What do I really want the bike to have right off the showroom floor so I don't have to spend money as soon as I buy it?
Don't settle on what we tell you on here, get what YOU want!
Good Luck!

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:25 AM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
the roadglide custom and the streetglide comes with 12'' shocks standard, while the others come with 13'' shocks. that one inch of travel does make a difference in ride comfort.

however, it is no big deal to change one out for the other. lots of folks add the longer shocks to their rgc/sg while guys with ultras go with the 12''s.....

Very logical point...

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:29 AM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

You guys' arguments!...One point is even better than the next!!!

Quick Reply: Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons