Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012 | 07:12 PM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dansflhti
It's hard to beat the look of the rear end of a Street Glide.Except for.....

Yeah, your scoot's real nice too. Trouble is, I like them all!

Old 06-23-2012 | 09:24 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior

Only one good answer to the question. You need them both

Old 06-23-2012 | 09:46 PM
jaymiller5
Cruiser

I just went through this a few weeks ago and I went with a electra glide. I decided to go with the tour pack detach kit and relocated the antenna's to the "factory" position using the factory brackets that mount to the saddle bag brackets. I removed the front and rear bumpers, put the kurykan deluxe rear turn signal/license plate bracket on and that is where I will stop for the "cool" factor items as I like the extra lights for night time riding visibility. I wanted a sporty look but the benefits of riding 1UP as well as 2UP with the wife to have the storage capacity. Which is what sounds like you want as well. So for an extra $700 I got the best of both worlds IMHO.

Now for handling, after over 1k miles in the last week, it is hands down the best handling Harley I have owned. My 04 FXST did not compare and it had a 3.5" front tire.

Last edited by jaymiller5; 06-23-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2012 | 10:29 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain

As has been already suggested and rightly so you will just have to decide what matters most to you. For me, with 40% of my riding 2-up it was easy choice and when with the Ultra. And I had an EG before so this time had to be RG and at 6ft1 I like the way the fairing is scooted further forward. Plus I like not looking like everyone else. I'm a real shark nose convert.

Old 06-23-2012 | 10:58 PM
AlphaInfinity
Advanced

I went through the same debate. I ended up with one of these.

Old 06-23-2012 | 11:09 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Considering (of all things) a Road Glide Custom. Having said that, a Street Glide is also not out of the question.

Getting back to the Road Glides for now, I see that the Ultra has the entire tour pack set up w/speakers, anti-lock brakes, security system, lowers, cruise control, and more suspension travel for not much more money. Conversely, it has smaller diameter wheels and (arguably) a less exciting looking rear fender area if the tourpack is removed. The same is true, depending on one's preferences, for the Street/Electra Glides.

Personally, I was never into the huge front wheel thing on Glides (23-30). Is the lesser suspension really noticeable on the Road/Street Glides for 1 up riding? I don't want to sacrifice that much long range comfort. I know that there is always a Road King, but I don't know if I want to go that route.

Does the 19" front Glide wheel help or hurt the handling relative to the Ultras' 17"? Essentially, this long-winded question boils down to this: Do we buy Ultras and strip off much of the stuff for local riding, or do we buy the Road or Street Glide, add the ABS and a couple of do-dads?

Please let me hear from those with experience and why. Thanks much!
You are way misinformed.

1) Street Glides and Road Glide Customs come with an 18" front wheel not a 19".
The ride is pefect with the 18".
My CVO came with a 19" but not the standard bikes.

2) You can get anti-lock brakes, security system, cruise control on ANY touring bike.
You can not add anti-lock brakes later.

3) The Ultra does have a Tour Pak and Lowers and a head phone jack which is nice but definately has the Gezzer Glide look.

It's all about what you want. You will hate the seat, windshield and volume of the radio on all the bikes.

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:05 AM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
You are way misinformed.

1) Street Glides and Road Glide Customs come with an 18" front wheel not a 19".
The ride is pefect with the 18".
My CVO came with a 19" but not the standard bikes.

2) You can get anti-lock brakes, security system, cruise control on ANY touring bike.
You can not add anti-lock brakes later.

3) The Ultra does have a Tour Pak and Lowers and a head phone jack which is nice but definately has the Gezzer Glide look.

It's all about what you want. You will hate the seat, windshield and volume of the radio on all the bikes.

1. Thanks much for the reply. Yes, but you missed a previous post. The 19" was a typo...I meant 18"; I know the CVO RGC has a 19".

2. True, but one has to pay for anti-lock, security, cruise, etc., as an option while the Ultras have them stock. Hence, for me, this is another part of the dilemma.

3. I love the stock seat on my FatBoy, and I have neither windshield nor a radio, so my complaints will be minor, as everything is relative!

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:07 AM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AlphaInfinity
I went through the same debate. I ended up with one of these.

Gorgeous. Is this a RG Custom with stretched bags and a fancy paint job?

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:24 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

your choice all the way but I just can't see myself riding a butt ugly road glide....but thats why they make different models. good luck with your choice

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:32 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
2. True, but one has to pay for anti-lock, security, cruise, etc., as an option while the Ultras have them stock. Hence, for me, this is another part of the dilemma.
ABS(with security) is a $1195 option for the Ultra. Comes standard with the Limited. An ABS Ultra is only $1105 cheaper than the Limited.

Last edited by dswansbiker; 06-24-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons