Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012 | 09:53 AM
HD_Shock
Cruiser

Street Glides, Road Glides, Ultra Classics ... they are ALL "touring bikes" so the argument about "if you tour a lot, you need an Ultra" isn't exactly true - especially when you consider NONE of them are going to be perfectly set up to match what is comfortable for YOU. More than likely you're going to have to change handlebars, seats, etc. to make the bike fit you. (The stock suspension on all them pretty much suck as well.) I've done 800+ mile days on my RGC and could have easily done 1000 ... because I have it set up for me. I sure couldn't have done that with the stock bars.

As far a RG Custom vs a RG Ultra ... you sorta have to decide what's more important to you - 4 speakers, and CB vs the hot rod looks on the Custom. Price really isn't an issue ... after adding a king tour pak, lower fairings and all detachable gear, my Custom was still cheaper than the RG Ultra by a couple hundred bucks. (As pointed out, it's fairly expensive to remove everything off the Ultra.) Of course I don't have the 4 speakers or CB, but those features weren't as important to me as (IMO), the better looks of the Custom.

Test ride them all and then decide ... but remember, you'll probably have to spend more to make the bike fit you.

Old 06-23-2012 | 09:56 AM
12limited
Tourer

I was right where you are before I bought my 12 limited. I love the look of the Black Street Glide. I liked the solid paint of the SC with no pin stripes. I considered and got all the prices to make the street glide have all the options that the limited had...since most of my time is touring hauling gear and my wife. Then realized the wiring harness for all the speakers and tour pak lighting was gonna be a big problem. Did not want a bunch of splicing on all that. It was gonna cost me about $2400 (in parts only) extra to get the Street Glide close to the Limited and still have the wiring harness to deal with for the rear speakers and all the lights. This did not include painting the Limted to cover the pin strips either. I own a Limited right now and it works out great...but still drool over the street glide looks. I hate the pin stripes and still considering painting the entire bike to cover them.

IF I had it to do over...I would still buy the ultra or limited for what I do with a bike. The comfort and room for everything is a big plus. I would love to have a street glide for those rare single rider trips, or Sunday around town rides. 3 bikes in the stable now, hard to justify a Street Glide right now.
Good luck on your choice.

Old 06-23-2012 | 12:16 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Are you 'cool' or do you wish to ride. A RIDER will go with an Ultra. Stay in town more... nicer looking bike... SG. I like my Ultra OK, but I went everywhere on my SG, when I had it.

Ultra is still the better 1up choice for LD riding. I can put all tools, a laptop, and clothes for two weeks with NP.

Old 06-23-2012 | 12:25 PM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Wow...amazingly sound logic on all fronts:

Thank you...I was not even considering a cost to strip stuff off of Ultras.

Each of you are swaying me in different directions with very good advice. God knows when and if I'll make up my mind.

By the way, my idea of "big touring" is 500 miles, not 5,000 miles at this stage.

Anyone have feelings regarding the Street & Road handling as opposed to the Ultras? Regarding the suspension "sucking" on all HDs, true to a point, but I feel cushy as heck on my Softail until I hit a really big bump, so I guess all would seem great to me.

Please keep thoughts coming as they are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TORQUEY; 06-23-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2012 | 12:48 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master

I wrestled with this question as well, Loved the looks of the SG, But, went with the practicality of the Ultra Limited. You see lots of examples of both bikes working for owners here, SG owners adding things to make it a optioned Ultra, and Ultra owners getting detach stuff to make the Ultra a stripped down SG version. RG was growing on me for certain colors and options, but could not get past the Shark Nose fairing and riding position, but that model is increasing in popularity it seems. SG is best selling model out there for now. As pointed out many times , only you can decide what works for you, and Test Rides can provide much needed clarity of choice.

Old 06-23-2012 | 01:08 PM
agueybana
Road Master

Roadking or Road Glide

Old 06-23-2012 | 03:43 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

I just went through this decision myself. Just returned from a 4200 mile tour with my RK. I have a King Pack which can be setup solo since I ride solo most of the time. Being a RK of course I only had a windshield. I added tunes and a CB with a J&M radio. CB's are nice to communicate between each other believe me. Once you have one it becomes important. Many times someone had too pull over. It was an easy event due to telling the leader and having the whole group pull over together. Just one example of CB being important. For me the ultra's have full integration. Everything is there and connected together well. Adding a GPS is simple and enhances tours to unfamiliar locations.

I buddy had is RK lowered just like a SG using the same components. Fully loaded with big tail bag. He had corning issues in tight turns on hills etc with poor roads - like route 66 on AZ. He has a 07 with true-track. It hit first so a new frame may not have this issue, but it hit other parts on a couple of bumps. From then on he switched to the back when this situation came up and slowed down - catching up with us later or we just slowed down a bit. This was only in extreme condition though. He had no issue on the Freeway...

My RK worked well, but I wanted a fairing with the ingetraion. I first had to decide between the RG and batwing. One of our group had a Ultra Classic which broke down. He rented a RG Ultra to finish the loop - 1500 miles. He wanted to try one out. In the end he stated he is getting one when he got home. His comments... Steered a little heavier in the beginning, but as he road it more it went away. The fairing seems a mile away so he had to adjust from the batwing. In heavy crosswind or gusts as very common in the SW the RG was must more stable. The forks didn't wobble and the mass of the bike took the wind force. Believe me a 75-80 mph on I15 into vegas was an effort on the RK. The front was blown all over the place.

I decided to try both for mtself. My delaer allowed me to ride both for 50 miles. I did the same loop which had varied roads FWY, hills etc. Took longer to adjust to the RG, but I liked it more on the ride. I hit wind and it handled it with ease. The batwing was like my RK.

OK - ultra or custom. Either way a wash. Adding the parts to a custom really costs the same maybe more if you want a CB. The paint job on the RG ultra was fine for me so I got the ultra. I researched the requirements to remove the tour pack - one of the people on the ride was a parts manger for HD and road a RG custom. Basically removing the trunk's fixed HW (time), cutting the wires and installing connectors (pretty cheap unless you have the dealer do it - the connectors are readily available and you just drill and mount them on the front of the trunk. The CB is a little harder, but easy to install a connector on coax. The major parts are the 6 point QD mount and the plate. These are not that costly. Finally if you want the CB w/o trunk you must get an antenna - like $80. Maybe the hidden FM antenna too (I normally just use a IPOD or CD though). Really isn't that much. Only thing would be using the tour pack solo would be a real hassle for the wrap around pad and speakers.

Since I have a FXDX for in town and day rides I decided go to the other extreme and get the ultra. If I want to use w/o the tour pack I will cross that bridge when I come to it...

I returned Tuesday and rode home my RG Ultra yesterday. Needed a day to strip the RK of all the stuff I didn't get any $$$ for on trade-in

Attached Thumbnails Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons-img_1027.jpg  

Last edited by PhotoRider; 06-23-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2012 | 04:46 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

...... and...... the gauges are white on the RG Custom vs black on the RGU.
.. purely esthetic i realize, but i prefer the white faces & wish they (along w/the 18" wheels & rear fender fascia) were options on the road glide ultra.
....... wasn't changing out chit like this s'posed to be available w/ HD1 ?

Old 06-23-2012 | 04:46 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

If 500 miles is a long trip, then go with which ever..SG, RG or ultra.
SG with a Sundowner seat, comfy

Old 06-23-2012 | 04:56 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

It's hard to beat the look of the rear end of a Street Glide.Except for.....

Quick Reply: Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons