Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding oil through chain inspection hole?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Adding oil through chain inspection hole?

Can you add primary oil in the chain inspection hole?
Steve in Ct

Old 06-22-2012, 03:49 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

yes, but you can better tell the correct level from the larger round cover ( "derby cover")

fluid level on this is not crucial, recent spec is: with bike upright and warmed up, if you can see fluid under the clutch basket, you are good to go.

with bike on stand you want the fluid to just cover the bottom of the clutch basket ( about 5/8" below the lip)

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-22-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackflame
Can you add primary oil in the chain inspection hole?
Steve in Ct
Yes, but you can't tell when you get the proper level. Oil should be added through the derby cover hole so you can observe when it's at the proper level. A factory manual will tell you how to check the level for YOUR bike.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
yes, but you can better tell the correct level from the larger round cover ( "derby cover")

fluid level on this is not crucial, recent spec is: with bike upright and warmed up, if you can see fluid under the clutch basket, you are good to go.

with bike on stand you want the fluid to just cover the bottom of the clutch basket ( about 5/8" below the lip)

mike
Reason i'm asking is because i'm getting a drip from the drain screw, so i was going to drain the oil and reseal the screw and while i was at it i was going to adjust my chain, so thats why i just wanted re add my oil through the inspection hole. Just did my oil and it calls for 32oz and thats what i added
Steve in Ct

Last edited by blackflame; 06-22-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the inspection cover all the time. The older bikes take 32oz so just pour the bottle in, button it up and go. I believe 07 was the year that the spec changed to more oil and it was also the year the inspection cover was removed.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

ok, most of us find the primary takes about 38 oz when drained for a change.

that depends on how hot the fluid was, how much is clinging inside, if you worked the clutch to free the old stuff etc.

It's variable.

mike

Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackflame
Reason i'm asking is because i'm getting a drip from the drain screw, so i was going to drain the oil and reseal the screw and while i was at it i was going to adjust my chain, so thats why i just wanted re add my oil through the inspection hole. Just did my oil and it calls for 32oz and thats what i added
Steve in Ct
Only takes a few minutes to remove the derby cover and you can reuse the gasket so why not do it right. You say you're getting a drip from the drain screw. More than likely the screw is not leaking. The drain screw is the low point for anything leaking on the left side of the engine/primary. Just saying don't be surprised if you still have a leak after resealing the drain screw.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:39 PM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great answer; Capt Cave.......

Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

I have read (no personal first hand knowledge) that the bikes used by the police demo riders have extra oil in the primary because of all the clutch feathering done during the demonstrations. Conclusion: A little over servicing is not a problem.

If you are a stickler for "by the book" service the primary the old fashioned way and make sure it is correct. THEN, make a little dipstick from a coat hanger or any other material you like. Find and mark the point on the dipstick where the proper, just serviced level is. From now on you can check the level and/or service through the adjustment window.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I always used the inspection cover on my pre 07 bikes to change the fluid and inspect the chain tension every oil change just add the recommended fluid its not that critical to have correct fluid level, primary chain always spray the oil on all moving parts when bike is running.

Quick Reply: Adding oil through chain inspection hole?