Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
strippedthread1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Issues

I have had my 2012 Limited for about 7 months now and have about 4,600 miles on the ticker. While on a recent 2,000 mile trip I have noticed the lifters taking longer and longer to pump up and shut up. It seems it takes longer to quiet down when the motor is hot, probably because of the thinner oil. My oil pressure while on the freeway is 30-32# and in stop n go 90 degrees will get down to 5ish# at idle. Has anyone had this or a similar issue?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey stripped-- low pressure at idle is-- well-- "normal" and that's generally not the issue.
I presume you've taken it in for a warranty check and they said "it's normal"?

If it's a light ticking-- that's normal, if it's a kocking or hammering sound from the lifter chest-- well that's not normal and I wouldnt be happy about that. It would be wise to check them out sooner rather than later.

Lifters can go bad and it could be a faulty one from the manufacturer. Some go big mileage and some don't. All four failing at the same time would be very rare so it's more likely one of them is making noise.

I had a OEM lifter start failing 3200 miles (~5000kms) after a simple bolt in cam replacement andit was noisiest at idle when hot.
It is safe to say the newer OEM lifters are not the quality they used to be.

Since your under warranty I would find a reputable service tech to have a listen before doing anything. You may be worried about nothing depending on the noise.

I changed all four of mine with Bob Woods directional lifters (directional meaning you can only install them one way-- the correct way) and I couldn't be happier.

Other makers have good stuff too-- S&S/Gatermans/HeadQuarters Black Ops all get good reviews.

If it were mine and out of warranty I would be pulling the pushrod covers, cutting out the original pushrods with boltcutters, remove the lifter housings and pull the lifters one at a time to check for scoring on the lifters and the lifter housings, unusual wear marks on the roller wheels and cams and consider replacing the lifters, and replacing the pushrods with an adjustable set.
If you want to pull the rocker boxes you can reuse the OEM pushrods but I wouldn't bother for the effort--just put it back together with adjustables.

Let us know wat you do/what the tech says....

Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 PM
silverado636
Cruiser

I installed 4 GM roller lifters from a 350 when I did my cams this winter.. And was told this weekend by an indy doing my dyno tune that the lifters are same as GM lifters. And I will not have any issues with them. And about $12 per lifter, because they do not have some fancy brand name.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by silverado636
I installed 4 GM roller lifters from a 350 when I did my cams this winter.. And was told this weekend by an indy doing my dyno tune that the lifters are same as GM lifters. And I will not have any issues with them. And about $12 per lifter, because they do not have some fancy brand name.
The oil orifice is larger on the HD lifter thats all.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverado636
The lifters in my 2011 Chevy Avalanche bang away at cold startup. How much better can they be?
I sold my 2011 ultra because of this problem along with the neutral rattle.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:30 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

harley might have to recall th 2012's cause of lifters failing but they wont###########

Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM
rmesserich
Stage I

I agree, my new Road Glide has plenty of lifter noise, can hear it over the stereo at 65mph. Brought it to 2 very good dealers and both said it was acceptable. Love the Road Glide, hate the noise. But Harley does get away with things that other companies do not.