Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike died on the way to Nashville.... Couple of ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012 | 12:29 PM
cjackermann
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ixlr8
Possible dirty idle air control thingy inside the throttle.

How long since the fuel filter was changed?

last service 5k ago

Old 06-18-2012 | 12:30 PM
cjackermann
|
Cruiser
Default I did not say I had a bad time......

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Sorry you had a bad trip to Nashville. This was a bad weekend to be here, unless you came specifically for the music events that were in the area.

I run non-ethonol gas all the time with no problems. I find quite the contrary. The bikes run cooler and more fuel efficient with that gas. Of course you can always get some bad gas anywhere. That is not high miles for a Harley engine. So, it wasn't due to just being time for an engine failure. My Sporty has 80,000 miles, and my Ultra has over 40,000 miles.

I would check the plugs, or just replace. And run some Seaform treated gas in the bike. See how that works out.

I had a great time there.... lots of fun once the bike parked. GReat bars and music.... but I was feeling a bit old at about 3 am sunday morning

Old 06-18-2012 | 01:40 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

I had an engine temp sensor go on my 06 EG Standard with similar symptoms.

Old 06-18-2012 | 01:55 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member

My dad has a 06 King and his has done the same thing as yours twice in the past 2 or 3 yrs. Both times a fresh tank of gas has cured the problem.

Old 06-18-2012 | 02:01 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master

just a thought , not sure if the o6 had the fuel line issues that run inside the tank developing pinholes , but it would be worth checking also. I know it was a problem on 07's

Old 06-18-2012 | 02:07 PM
rhino738
Intermediate

Another thing to consider is the Air Intake Control valve. My bike has had those symptoms several times and the research I did lead me to believe that the IAC valve was acting up. If it has only happened once to you, then maybe not, but mine has rough idled on at least 5 occasions in the past year.

Old 06-18-2012 | 03:29 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

06 bikes had a campaign to replace the injectors, I don't remember what the degree change was, the problem had to do with bikes stalling,my brother had the issue, they changes injectors, and it has been all good.

Old 06-25-2012 | 05:07 PM
NicksClassic
1st Gear

Not sure if this is the same problem but I too am having problems with my 05 Road King Classic with a K & N high flow air filter, fuelpak Management system and Samson Legendary Big Shots.
On the way to D.C the bike seemed to run fine.
While on my way back from Rolling Thunder I started to feel the bike loose power in short increments , like it was going to stall and then be okay for a little while, there seemed to be no specific pattern no rime or reason! Now when the bike gets up to running temp it seems to be worse running around town!
Thought like many that I got a bad tank of gas, so when I got home I ran a full can of Sea foam through her.
Still acting poorly, I cleaned the throttle body with CRC Mass air flow cleaner and still acting up. So I changed the fuel filter and then the Engine temp sensor,
Still no luck. I have a air inlet temp sensor on order and if I failed to mention it, I checked for any codes but nothing! Just part numbers!
I am starting to think since I removed the Vance & Hines Long shots and put the Samsons on earlyier this spring that the Harley ECM cant keep up,
Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-25-2012 | 05:50 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior

Mine is a 03 but I picked up a load of crap gas in Eastern CO last year, ran like it had fouling a plug until that tank was gone and two additional run through, ended up getting fuel filter replaced to satisfy my own fears it was loaded up.

Old 06-25-2012 | 07:28 PM
navyman
Road Master

Just this weekend a friend's Road King began surging at slow speeds and would not idle without working the throttle (fuel injected). At a gas station, bike quit and would not start. No lights, nothing. Found the ground wire loose on the battery. Tightened wire, problem solved. A loose ground will make all kind of strange things happen.

Quick Reply: Bike died on the way to Nashville.... Couple of ?'s