Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Street GLide question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 05:42 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Street GLide question...

Ok, I have done a search for FLHX, 07 Street Glide.... and have read through many many posts.

I bought an 06 FLHX last May and managed to put ~8k miles on it before my wife and I were hit by a car in Aug (broke my ankle, she was bruised up but both fairing well). From what I have gathered, the 07 upgrades have their fair share of issues. I had some issues with the 06 but were for the most part taken care of by a few calls and visits to the stealer.

I guess my question is a two parter....

1) From what I gathered, most of the issues regards to performance and overheating is a direct result of the EPA regulations. I have read many many posts that said they added pipes and S1 kit and corrected all performance and heating issues. Is this true??

I dont mind spending the extra cash while it sits on the showroom to correct it but how does that effect it long term.

2) With the mods required to get the performance in check, will I forever have to change back to factory spec/parts to pass the EPA regulations? I dont want to have to put pipes and factory specs back every year. Many local riders have said "pfft, stealers will inspect it with no problems" but I know from my expereince in the auto industry that eventually, they will crack down to where you are having to bootleg (for a price, there are inspectors ....) the stickers...

All my theropy is done finallyand I am itching to get back into that saddle and ride. I am leaning hard towards just picking one up and taking my chances but did want to come back to old faithful for some last minute discussions over the chances to the 07s...

Any and all input is welcome, just try to keep it to the topic at hand...

Thanks again.. Ride safe brothers(and sisters ).. hope to see you all on the road soon!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 07 Street GLide question...

The EPA will never crack down like the car industry the exhaust sensorsare actually a good thing, running closed loop and the right processor will cause the bike to adjust to all runnig conditions on the fly.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:51 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: tgaetto

The EPA will never crack down like the car industry the exhaust sensorsare actually a good thing, running closed loop and the right processor will cause the bike to adjust to all runnig conditions on the fly.

Any idea if the pipes/S1 fixes the performance/heat thou? Thanks..

Old 01-11-2007, 09:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: RainMaker

1) From what I gathered, most of the issues regards to performance and overheating is a direct result of the EPA regulations. I have read many many posts that said they added pipes and S1 kit and corrected all performance and heating issues. Is this true??
I've lived with my '07 for six weeks, and love it. Heat is not an issue in this weather, normally 50-70 deg., although I have installed a PCIII, K&N kit, Rush (1.75 baffles), and an HD cooler. I've tweaked (rather radically) the map provided by Fuel Moto by leaning the take-off and cruise ranges in hopes of increasing mileage, but have experienced no problems (detonation, heat, or surging). The bike runs great, and although mileage isn't bad on trips, it is less-than-stellar in city riding (upper 30's). I expect it to increase in Spring and Summer.

Not sure what you mean by "S1 kit," but if you buy an '07 I think you should be thinking about going with either SERT or PCIII and an open air-filter kit (K&N, Ness, or SE). I picked K&N because it is cleanable, while the SE is not. Ness is too, is cheaper, and the Ness Stage 1 version can adapt a round Evo-style air cleaner. I think mufflers are optional unless you want to pull the last few HP out of the setup, but the stock '07's don't sound bad. I picked Rush because of the replaceable baffles, available in different sizes for different tastes.

2) With the mods required to get the performance in check, will I forever have to change back to factory spec/parts to pass the EPA regulations? I dont want to have to put pipes and factory specs back every year. Many local riders have said "pfft, stealers will inspect it with no problems" but I know from my expereince in the auto industry that eventually, they will crack down to where you are having to bootleg (for a price, there are inspectors ....) the stickers...
Don't know about this, as I haven't gone through the inspection process yet. I assume they will test the bike at idle, and PCIII table shows no change from stock, except the O2 sensors have been eliminated. If it doesn't pass, I should be able to simply plug in the sensors, putting it in closed-loop mode, and try again. I'll know next November how this pans out. I've never heard of anyone failing an emissions test on a motorcycle in this state (LA), however. If people were having problems, the word would be getting out.

Not sure if this relates to your questions on performance, but I like the six-speed. Some are having conniptions over whining in 5th gear, which is a totally normal condition. I changed to Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil in the tranny and hardly hear any whine on this bike, but I do hear clattering from the compensator at RPM's lower than 2200 when hot in 5th and 6th gears, and I don't particularly like it. Some say that RPM range is too low, but I disagree, and my two discussions with HD tech support has me feeling it is not something I should be concerned with. Since changing to Castrol GTX 20w50 in the primary (more viscous than the Formula+), I haven't noticed it as much. Since it is heat related, I'm not sure how it will behave when temperatures start to rise.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

I am just starting (next year) to get bike inspected because I heard that In this wonderful age of computers even a small ticket can show up in strange places like credit report or insurance co. I never saw any reason? anyway, ive put synth oil,oil cooler, got download,brokenin..?, hopeing this spring the heat issue on my bone stock flh subsides a little,,,just a little is o taa

Old 01-11-2007, 10:17 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>>>The EPA will never crack down like the car industry<<<

You better get yourself a copy of the bill that was passed concerning bikes. As of now, they make 49 state bikes and california bikes. In 2010, there will only be 50 state bikes, and they will have to comply with california emission standards. Some of the new regulations, began to take effect in 2006, and the rest will be phased in by 2010.Here is a short synopsis of the bill, in layman's terms. The section concerning custom bikes, will come as a real surprise to those of you not familar with the bill.

http://www.cmtabate.com/Legislative/...the_layman.htm

Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tree huggers are gettin on my nerves!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:22 AM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

It's amazing that the government puts all these regs on a mode of transportation that averages 40-45 MPG but allows the car industry to make vehicles that get 7 MPG. [:@]
ORIGINAL: reh13

>>>The EPA will never crack down like the car industry<<<

You better get yourself a copy of the bill that was passed concerning bikes. As of now, they make 49 state bikes and california bikes. In 2010, there will only be 50 state bikes, and they will have to comply with california emission standards. Some of the new regulations, began to take effect in 2006, and the rest will be phased in by 2010.Here is a short synopsis of the bill, in layman's terms. The section concerning custom bikes, will come as a real surprise to those of you not familar with the bill.

http://www.cmtabate.com/Legislative/...the_layman.htm

Old 01-12-2007, 12:56 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...so why don't you just buy a great low milage 2006 SG, you can get one for around $16000 or less, usually with Stage 1 mods and be where you were for less money. When I bought mine I was looking at 3 different bikes with milage as low as 278, ended up with one with 1100 miles, SE breather, Rineharts, SERT, blacked out lights, for $16000, love it and with money saved added a chopped tour pack.
Later

Old 01-14-2007, 02:53 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No all though I have heard that it was supposed to have been addressed.....

Quick Reply: 07 Street GLide question...