Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Street GLide question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:21 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 07 Street GLide question...

ORIGINAL: reh13

>>>The EPA will never crack down like the car industry<<<

You better get yourself a copy of the bill that was passed concerning bikes. As of now, they make 49 state bikes and california bikes. In 2010, there will only be 50 state bikes, and they will have to comply with california emission standards. Some of the new regulations, began to take effect in 2006, and the rest will be phased in by 2010.Here is a short synopsis of the bill, in layman's terms. The section concerning custom bikes, will come as a real surprise to those of you not familar with the bill.

http://www.cmtabate.com/Legislative/...the_layman.htm
The real problem exists with the Tier 2 standard for 2008. To meet the 0.8 HC+Nox standard, secondary air-injection, fuel-injection and catalytic converters will have to be employed for most, if not all motorcycle models. The 2008 standard was so controversial that CARB must hold a technology progress review in 2006 to evaluate the motorcycle manufacturer's progress in meeting the 2008 standard. PROPOSED EPA MOTORCYCLE EMISSION STANDARDS: Simply, the EPA is proposing to adopt the above California Standards, but delay the implementation for two years, until from 2004 to 2006 (Phase 1) and from 2008 to 2010 (Phase 2) respectively. This will give the EPA adequate time to delay or amend their rule if CARB recognizes that their standard is too severe and can not be met by the motorcycle manufacturers

ANALYSIS: The EPA has decided to cause new regulations on motorcycles simply because they haven't been lowered in 20 years. However,the EPA figures state motorcycles emit less than 1% of all mobile source emissions! The cost and impact to the motorcycle community (manufacturers, after-market and consumers) needs to be scientifically weighed against how much pollution will be reduced by such efforts and costs. Said another way, the cost of proposed standards must be verified to be scientifically possible and cost effective.
So I believe it will cost to much and won't make a difference....only my $.02

Old 01-14-2007, 10:18 AM
zorro
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for an 05 or 06 and save yourself some $$$

Old 01-14-2007, 12:40 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

The most IMPORTANT phrase in that post..

"So I believe it will cost to much and won't make a difference...."

And I second that motion...

Old 01-14-2007, 09:31 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser

Thanks for the replays fellas... still up in the air on what is going to happen.. but I do know I have to get back on two wheels very soon. I am looking to secure one within the next two weeks. After hitting a couple stealers in the area, I am becoming more unfocused in what I am looking for. I had started out with wanting to replace my baby 06 FLHX (carb) only to find the UC teasing me with a price about 1800 more than the SG... Ug..

I had planned to upgrade my newSG with triples, few more lighting effects, front detachable fairings (lowers for cold days only)... (more visablity and noise for me this go round... Cager hit us and I believe now loud pipes would have prevented the crash...imo...)

But after speaking with a few folks and reading thru the HD Bible (hdforums baby!), I have realized that I can strip down the UC (remove tour packs and such), to have the SG upgrades im looking for and probably save some cash in the long run.

My wife really likes the tour pack during long cruises and I liked the surround sound from the stereo.

So TODAY... I’m leaning towards the UC....

O yea.. as far as new vs used.. I am looking to go new... When I bought my 06, I picked up GAP insurance (GAP + Acc coverage is an absolute must!!!!!!!!!) and the policy actually pays 1k towards any new bike (sadly it's only from the dealer I bought the policy from and I was not happy with their service dept at all...) . So I figured I could let the policy eat the initial deprecation...and work the stealer down as low as I can. Atm, I have a quote of $18,200 (includes first service). If a good deal comes before I sign papers, then used isn’t out of the question.

Since hitting several stealers now, I have to rework quotes for the UC… lol, more Lithium please....

Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1993 sportster california emissions

my ol ladies 93 sporty has california emissions. some sort of butterfly valve...
not hooked up, not going to try to hook it up either.
is still ok to say "retarded" ?
what kind of emissions does a battleship have?
or a fighter jet?
they going to make uncle sam smog tanks too?
fix all the cracks first, we'll get to the holes later.

Originally Posted by reh13
>>>The EPA will never crack down like the car industry<<<

You better get yourself a copy of the bill that was passed concerning bikes. As of now, they make 49 state bikes and california bikes. In 2010, there will only be 50 state bikes, and they will have to comply with california emission standards. Some of the new regulations, began to take effect in 2006, and the rest will be phased in by 2010.Here is a short synopsis of the bill, in layman's terms. The section concerning custom bikes, will come as a real surprise to those of you not familar with the bill.

http://www.cmtabate.com/Legislative/...the_layman.htm

Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so why don't you just buy a great low milage 2006 SG, you can get one for around $16000
You can get an 06 for a lot less than that. I bought mine last fall with 2500 miles on it for 14K. I have seen them for 13K since then.

Look for an 05 or 06 and save yourself some $$$
05 SG? No such animal.....

Shakey