Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My solution to our Street Glide buffeting issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Both have same air, but RK air is cleaner while SG air has a jarring buffet. FF helmet makes it worse because it catches more air. buffet can be fixed, but typically means trying getting rid of all the air.

Beary

Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Splais1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my story and what I did. I recently purchased a gorgeous low mileage ’06 Streetglide. I had two problems. The buffeting around my legs was so bad it was hard to keep them on the running boards. Second my 92 year old mom is not doing good and if she calls me and I don’t answer she gets worried and upset so I have a need to be able to answer the phone while riding. The buffeting around my head was so bad couldn’t hear the phone. I also had buffeting in the chest area. I’m 5’7” tall and my bike came stock with the little low flat windshield, maybe 6” high. I went through a period of trial and error on a couple of helmets and windshields Tried cut down 13” high stock windshield, Recurve 9” Long Ride Shield and the standard height National City Vstream (which is actually quit high at 14”) I love the look and airflow of the Vstream and someday will get the low (10”) version to try.

Helmet sizing guides are worthless, period. Since I have no stores with any stock to speak of within 200 miles, my helmet testing got a bid expensive. I tried a cheapy Chinese full face unit – crap; an Outlaw half helmet, didn’t like; a Fulmer ¾ helmet, too tight; a Harley Davidson Hybrid, too tight; and finally an XL HD ¾ with interior drop down sun shade (it’s the HJC IS-33 with HD markings). Great helmet and really like it. I have the new lower priced Sena SMH5 bluetooth headset and my ipone works great with it. My bike also has Satellite radio and I can hear it fine at hiway speeds with this helmet.

I put the lower fork deflectors on and this pretty much eliminated the leg buffeting. I also added the adjustable batwings to the bottom of the fairing and changed windshield to the 9” recurve Long Ride Shield. Finally I added a leg heat pad that mounts under the seat. It is very hot here about 6 months out of the year, right now I ride with the batwings adjusted to direct airflow along the side of the engine. This combined with the heat pad has eliminated the “hot leg” condition. So right now I have a bike that is super comfortable to ride with little to no buffeting, and I can talk on the phone and listen to the radio while riding. Life is good.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Buffeting, what buffeting?

Old 06-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Totally Bored
I had a FF Helmet but stock shield.

If I was a dealer I would invest in a few different size shields like 6,8 and 10 inch shields and a curved one maybe. How much could it cost 400- 600 tops ? You keep them for guys like me to swap out on test rides to make a sale. I really liked the bike but I'm not spending all that money on a buffeting tornado that I may or may not be able to fix.
I'm surprised they didn't offer that. My tall shield was $77 shipped on eBay.

The curved one the dealer put on is an 8"? and the airflow past the FF isn't bad at all, little buffeting. That's the advantage of a good FF, it's designed for that purpose.

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
Before I bought my RK I test rode a SG...5 miles of buffeting and had enough...bought the RK and couldn't be happier
Says the guy with the pic of a RK with no windshield on it....

Originally Posted by beary
Both have same air, but RK air is cleaner while SG air has a jarring buffet. FF helmet makes it worse because it catches more air. buffet can be fixed, but typically means trying getting rid of all the air.

Beary
No a good FF will direct the air and have smooth airflow around it. A 1/2 or even a 3/4 will have edges that catch the air.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:56 PM
HeyYou
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 250 miles on a bone stock SG last week, and the buffeting was so bad I was wishing I was back to touring on the old solid mount Sportster. I really want to like the SG - but I'm not going to spend another grand on a $22k bike to make it ridable. I have high hopes the RKC rides better.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

$75 windshield and a $300 helmet, solved.

It's hilarious how many people malign the SG, the most popular model and aerodynamically the same, if not potentially better than an EG due to no running lights. Hilarious.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:35 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darn icky wind.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:57 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

I still don't get it??? I bought my 08 this spring and it was bone stock and I don't fear for my life because of a little wind....WTF?? I'm coming off a VMax with a fly screen that put the wind right at my ears...talk about buffeting!

This forum just cracks me up with all whining....funny stuff.....carry on.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Buffeting is not the same as wind on your VMax. Completely different issues. This is not whining...Douche bag...

Old 06-17-2012, 09:11 PM
soulpony
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only time I recall any real buffeting on on my SG was when I had a broken fairing bracket. I run a tall windshield and no helmet.

Quick Reply: My solution to our Street Glide buffeting issue