Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Air Deflector = Engine Heat on Leg

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:15 PM
fordcupcar
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Air Deflector = Engine Heat on Leg

I just installed a set of Fork Air Deflectors on my 2007 Street Glide. They work great and one ride in, I am convinced that my buffeting problem is nearly gone.

BUT - it seems that I really get a lot of heat on my leg from the exhaust. Now I am actually wondering if the bike is running to hot with these deflectors on. Also wondering if others have the same issue. Seems like I have solved one problem and created another.

Any comments from those that have done the same mod.

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:21 PM
KansasKing
Intermediate

Subscribed

Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

If you hold your hand out to the side and feel the air flow, you will find that the air coming around your fairing collapses back onto the bike in the area of the rear cylinder, helping to cool the engine. With the fork deflectors on, the air collapses back behind the engine, about where your passenger foot rests are.

I run the deflectors and the lowers on my Ultra in spring and fall, but the deflectors come off in the summer. Watching the oil temps on my digital dipstick convinced me to do that.

With a street glide, without lowers, I bet you are still running a lot cooler than Ultra's ever do.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:30 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Your Street Glide also did not come with the fairing wings. If you don't mind the looks of them, put on a set of Freedom Wings or the adjustable ones available from Harley. By tipping them, you can direct airflow past your legs and the top of the engine, helping to cool.

http://www.freedom-wings.com/

Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 PM
N2STUFF
Advanced

Oh crap thats why my right calf is on fire. I ride in shorts in summer.

Last edited by N2STUFF; 06-16-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I installed a set and noticed the same thing. My right leg is on fire. Mine are about to come off. They do solve the buffeting problem completely.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
fordcupcar
Novice

So, has anyone else solved this problem using the fairing deflectors? As posted, the buffeting is gone, but the heat is almost to much to take.

HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT. Never saw anyone post about this problem when I decided to put them on the bike. Oh, and yes, I have tried going faster, it did not help.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:32 PM
dgm410
Advanced

I've experienced the same exact thing... even after removing my CAT, on a 80+ degree day, it's unbearable to ride with my legs in the normal position with the fork deflectors on. I'm taking mine off tomorrow, reluctantly, because they do solve the buffeting problem. .... Shame that we have to deal with these sorts of issues on a $20+ thousand dollar machine.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Your Street Glide also did not come with the fairing wings. If you don't mind the looks of them, put on a set of Freedom Wings or the adjustable ones available from Harley. By tipping them, you can direct airflow past your legs and the top of the engine, helping to cool.

http://www.freedom-wings.com/
I'm calling bullsh1t..

Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Me too....on the entire thread. Been using those fork deflectors since 1995 with zero heat issues, ever.

Quick Reply: Fork Air Deflector = Engine Heat on Leg