Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need to buy an HD air pump for air shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012 | 12:33 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

I really like the HD pump. It is small, has a built in gauge, is easy to connect and operate. It's a bit expensive, but it will last forever. I use mine regularly. When I tour, I check the pressure every morning. Having low pressure for every day casual riding is no big deal, but low pressure loaded down is not so good.

Old 06-13-2012 | 12:52 PM
CWO USN
Road Captain

Convenience, operation and stowage makes it well worth the price.

Old 06-13-2012 | 01:07 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Father's Day is here - just put it on your wish list. HD pump works well + has cool HD logo to boot...

Old 06-13-2012 | 01:30 PM
hdsuspension.com
Former Sponsor
Default Put it on your father day list - love it

If you went hydraulic - you my friend would never have to worry about AIR again! - my 2 cents worth -

Here is yet another comment from a member of the forum that just installed his hydraulic suspension kit:

"I put 338 miles on those babies yesterday me and the wife plus pulling my trailer and the bike rode like a dream and I was on some back roads hit a few bad places and the bike did not even bottom out. I don't have words the bike rides a lot better and I love being able to put my foot down and not feel like I am going to drop the bike yet still keep the factory height when riding.

I don't mind the high price as long as you get what you paid for and I feel like I got what I paid for. Thanks

James B. Collins - Springfield, TN"

That's what I am talking about ! Call me or email me if you want more details!

Old 06-13-2012 | 11:03 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by blackflame
How do you keep it from leaking as you disconnect the pump?
Steve in Ct
As you have seen there are several pumps made for bicycles out there that are the same thing as a HD pump,. This is what I was thinking of when I first replied to the OP.......not the old fashioned type bicycle pump. You are, however, not saving that much over the HD one, but they will work just as good. FWIW, I bought the HD one. (had to have the HD air!!!)

Old 06-13-2012 | 11:46 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master

Originally Posted by racklefratz
No, you don't *need* to buy the purpose-built HD pump.....but you will very quickly learn why you should.
+1

Remember, those shocks have very little VOLUME. Very easy to over inflate, and you loose air when disconnecting.
I used a football pump before getting the HD pump. What was I thinking??

The HD pump does EXACTLY what it needs to do. You can get by without it, but once you have it you will wonder why you didn't get it before.

Last edited by IKnowNot; 06-13-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2012 | 11:20 AM
PAPAFISH
Cruiser

worth the $ works very good

Old 06-14-2012 | 02:03 PM
A Whole lotta Rosey
Cruiser

Here's the thing, some bicycle pumps may work but TRY THEM OUT BEOFRE YOU TOSS THE RECEIPT. Look for a small bore (someone mentioned this earlier with deep threads. To be clear, HD desined the air inlet on the shock to be very deep - the HD pump accomodiates this and works very well. Most bicycle pumps don't. The $50.00 HD pump works great (every time with much thought), it fits in your bags, comes with a great little form case (just throw a rubber band around it), and is very easy to use. Trust me, this is one HD purchase you will not regret.

Old 06-14-2012 | 02:08 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

I ask the same question on here a few weeks ago - just buy it - it's over priced but works very well - I'm glade I bought mine - pride of ownership - On my Goldwing all I had to do was push a button on the dash to air up the shocks but that was then & this is now - God bless Harley Davidson - I sure have a love hate going on with this HD company

Old 06-14-2012 | 02:22 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have an old Progressive pump exactly like the H-D pump except it leaks air when I screw it on and off. I use to over fill the shocks so by the time I unscrewed the fitting the pressure would be close to what I wanted(I hoped). I remember the owners sheet showed how to adjust the "O" ring inside so it wouldn't lose air on different type valves - now I can't find it.
So I got tired of doing all that so I broke down and bought the H-D unit. Boy it sure is worth the money.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the old instruction sheet? I tried Progressive, but they don't have anything like that anymore - just the new sheets. Seems dumb that they wouldn't have one in their archieves.

If I can't adjust it, does anyone want to buy it for $10 + postage and try it out????

Quick Reply: Do I really need to buy an HD air pump for air shocks?