Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Spitting Out of Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Hammy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running the vent lines down to the rear of the bike or anywhere in front of the tire will result in an oil misted rear tire.. No good.. Other than burning it up, the only solution is venting to a small breather with a catch can attached or the old style crankcase breathers that drip once they get full..

Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The dealer said run 3 1/2 qts and don't run hard for long period of times...Some answer!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I dont know anything. My 2010 StreetGlide is stock and has NO drips OF ANY KIND.
Guess those MoCo engineers that designed the stock setup must know something.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by bugs
ok...thanks for input! I realize there are a ton of threads on this subject. I guess I was just concerned because its a newer bike and this just started happening. I'm wondering why it would just start doing this. My oil level is closer to full than half way...so thinking about taking some out. Just one of those things that bug me I guess! Annoying!
One possibility for the delay is simply that it takes time for the air cleaner element to become saturated before you will experience a drip.

Originally Posted by isellem
Take it to your dealer and have them get you fixed. They will have seen this in the past and be able to take care you of you.
In a perfect world, yes. But in the real world your suggestion is a pipe dream.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been talking to K&N about a new stage one air cleaner system that they have designed to address this concern RK-3930 fits 2008 and up touring models. The backing plate is designed to route the oil into the throttle body. I have ordered on for my 2010 SG and will ne testing it and reporting back tl this thread. Note it does require the throttle body bracket and original breather bolts to be used. Check it out on K&N's web site.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:38 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Just pulled that up on their website.... I am somewhat disappointing they didn't use a diff design, it looks so much like the stock rig you have to wonder if you can even call it a stage I breather?

Last edited by TUCCI; 08-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Just pulled that up on their website.... I am somewhat disappointing they didn't use a diff design, it looks so much like the stock rig you have to wonder if you can even call it a stage I breather?
this unit flows the same or more then the harley stage one setup and just like the harley unit it is designed to fit under the stock cover.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:18 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

2 key issues here that I talked to one of Harley's Director's that was visiting our local dealer.

1. Why do some do this and others don't? Doesn't matter if stock, stage 1, K&N, etc.

2. On the ones that do besides dripping from the filter more oil is being sucked into the intake. That can't be good for the entire intake path. I showed him what I catch in the can about every 1,000 miles. Oil level is below half way. If yours drips just look at the build up of black soot on the intake and butterfly.

He took my card but I don't expect an answer.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u
I have been talking to K&N about a new stage one air cleaner system that they have designed to address this concern RK-3930 fits 2008 and up touring models. The backing plate is designed to route the oil into the throttle body. I have ordered on for my 2010 SG and will ne testing it and reporting back tl this thread. Note it does require the throttle body bracket and original breather bolts to be used. Check it out on K&N's web site.
I don't see this in the instructions. Same concept as stock but no breather hoses. If anything this would appear to drip more without hoses.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM
11glide103
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
2006 Ultra AND my 2010 Limited. Running the oil levels right at the low mark on the dip stick. Why is there oil still dripping ( a fairly good amount ) out of the air filter. How do you prevent this?
I had the same issue with mine and read on here about installing the 3/16" copper tubes bent nicely and cleanly into the intake and soldered together to hold in place. It worked fantastic! I have run 1500 miles since installation and have had absolutely no oil drips or puddling in the filter since. I run a Screaming Eagle Ventalator A/C. Look it up in here its easy, costs about $6.00 and works great!

Quick Reply: Oil Spitting Out of Air Filter