Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Spitting Out of Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

My 09 Fat Bob doesn't have this issue but my 2010 Ultra does. Ultra did it from new with stock filter and with Stage 1. Even low oil level doesn't stop it. Stealer answer was some bikes do that. Went with Krank Vents for Buell and Special Applications. Ran hose from them to catch can. Glad I did because you see what all is sucked into intake and goes to engine. Harley big wig was here last weekend and gave him an earful. Showed him what I had to do to stop oil from dripping from air cleaner.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
OK, I thought about it some more. When the piston goes up there is a big negative pressure on the bottom of the piston and a big positive pressure on the top. Any leakage around the rings would do nothing but cancel out some of the positive from the top and some of the negative from the bottom.

If and & but on that.
Ok I will.

Regardless of the actual crankcase pressure, whether negative or positive, high pressure leaking past the rings from the combustion chamber will increase the crankcase pressure. Whether or not this increase is the cause of the oil carry over to the air cleaner is debatable, but nevertheless, the increase in crankcase pressure will exist.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Third thought

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Ok I will.

Regardless of the actual crankcase pressure, whether negative or positive, high pressure leaking past the rings from the combustion chamber will increase the crankcase pressure. Whether or not this increase is the cause of the oil carry over to the air cleaner is debatable, but nevertheless, the increase in crankcase pressure will exist.
OK, I can always learn. Thought about it some more and I was just considering the compression stroke and didn't think about the power stroke. That would be a whole new ball of wax and I can see how the compression stoke would increase crank case pressure.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
OK, I can always learn. Thought about it some more and I was just considering the compression stroke and didn't think about the power stroke. That would be a whole new ball of wax and I can see how the compression stoke would increase crank case pressure.
The biggest issue affecting oil carry over with the V-Twin is inherent in its design with the cylinder arrangement (45 deg) and the single crankpin. Even though we're talking about the effects of blow-by here, blow-by (unless really excessive) is not the primary cause of oil carry over. It's the engine design. The only way too fix it would be a complete redesign of the HD powerplants and that would be contrary to what we all love about HD.

In the current V-Twin, with the cylinders being 45 degrees offset, both pistons are moving upward and downward at the same time during a portion of the engine cycle. This creates high and low pressures in the crankcase and this is the problem the breathers have to overcome. It's a difficult task.

In other engine configurations, let's use an inline four cylinder as an example, two pistons are moving up while the other two pistons are moving down. The pistons moving in opposite directions tend to offset the pressure variations in the crankcase. You don't get this offsetting effect in the V-Twin.

This oil carry over issue is a complicated one and as long as we have V-Twins with the current cylinder and crankpin arrangements, some engines will continue to exhibit this problem.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 PM
bugs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed oil coming out of my k/n air filter. I only have 1500 miles on my 2011 SG. I have never noticed this oil before and its now all over bottom of filter, and its not just dripping, but even up higher on top of my rear cam. Like its almost spraying?? Why would it just start doing this? Any suggestions or thoughts? I'm headed 500 miles to sturgis in 4 days and sure don't need any engine issues.

Thanks for any help! It's sure appreciated!

Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

bugs.....don't think you will have an engine issue but running at high speeds for a long period don't help the issue. I used the copper tubing mod and it worked well. Its shown on one of the other pages of this thread. Its just the nature of the Harley beast...Have a good trip!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM
bugs
Cruiser

ok...thanks for input! I realize there are a ton of threads on this subject. I guess I was just concerned because its a newer bike and this just started happening. I'm wondering why it would just start doing this. My oil level is closer to full than half way...so thinking about taking some out. Just one of those things that bug me I guess! Annoying!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Thats not going to do much....many are experiencing it.

Last edited by TUCCI; 08-07-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I tried 3 1/4 qts but didn't stop it completely. Did make it somewhat less but the copper tubing was one of the answers.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
isellem
Cruiser

Take it to your dealer and have them get you fixed. They will have seen this in the past and be able to take care you of you.

Quick Reply: Oil Spitting Out of Air Filter