Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Spitting Out of Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Run a half quart low.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Did the 1/2 qt low but still was there...but wasn't as bad. I checked a stock AC today on a 2011 the paper was pretty wet with oil,

Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Gliden
Club Member

There's always going to be oil residue and enough present to wipe the inside with a paper towel but it shouldn't be actually getting out of the air cleaner and onto pipes n stuff.
I run 75 to 80 mph on highways literally all day and not a spec out of the air cleaner when I run 1/2 qt from full.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,532 Likes on 8,437 Posts

If you are putting in 4 quarts of oil after draining old oil from the drain plug you are over filling. There will still be as much as 24oz. of old oil still remaining in the engine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ci9_915qYA

Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This is what finally fixed mine:

Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,294 Likes on 1,859 Posts

As I posted on another thread, here's what I did to our bikes.
Not suggesting that it will stop you leak but it did on ours.

I used a plastic "T" and inserted it into the two vent tubes and positioned the third (longer part) towards the throat of the throttle body.

The "T" can be purchsed for less than a buck at most hardware stores, Lowe's or Home Depot. Simple fix, simple price.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
This is what finally fixed mine:

Jim did you invent that yourself? Pretty cool!

Old 06-21-2012, 02:16 PM
SinisterFLHTCI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cleaned all the oil off the side of my bike two days ago. Been riding on the slab 70-75 mph about 25 one way to work. Bike was soaked again last night. I broke down and put a maxi pad in the bottom of the football. Read that on here when I first joined. Actually I think thats what made me want to join. Good people with good cheap advice! I think enviromental factors also play a role here. It used to take a couple weeks to soak the side in early spring. The hotter and more humid it has gotten this summer the worse it has been.
Has anyone thought about doing an in line air dryer/cleaner spliced into the crankcase breather tube stopping oil from even getting to the air cleaner or throttle body? I once had a belt driven air compressor on my truck running my air ride. It had a small oiler/dryer on it that you could simply press the bottom of and drain. It was small and could probably easially be strapped somewhere in the side cover or to the frame somewhere. I've been looking for it all day but cannot seem to find it online anywhere. NAPA has a small dryer but it is around $80 and that seems like a lot of money to try something. I would be interested to see if this has been tried by anyone. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...011_0344221848

Old 06-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is an A Ness with copper tubing. Works well so far.

Last edited by Jerry1834; 05-05-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The way the PCV system works is to reduce crankcase pressures by venting them out. The old school way was to just vent to atmosphere until the EPA stepped in. Nowadays engine vacumm draws the fumes thru the intake to get recycled in the combustion chambers. You will always get some oil, and if you don't let your bike warm up to operating temp, some water come thru the system.

The main issue is HD's design of the intake end of the system.

In this pick we can see the hole on the air cleaner plate at the 7 o'clock position. The hole is vertical without any way of the heavier particles to get drawn into the intake. They just drop out of the hole via gravity and end up wherever.

What I did along with some other members is direct the crankcase fumes up and into the intake stream to be burned off.

Bent some 3/16 brake line, cut the ends off.

And inserted it into the hole.

I used some loctite bearing retainer to hold the pipe in the hole as my propane torch was outa gas

I do not believe in the theory of lowering the oil level to cure this. It's not a problem with the oil level, it's the design of the PCV system that needs tweaking. Engines are designed to recirculate the blow-by gases and directing them this way will not hurt the engine what so ever.

cheers

Quick Reply: Oil Spitting Out of Air Filter