Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Spitting Out of Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Wish K&N made an oval design....just don't care for the football look. Thanks for sharing your experience....

Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u

note the filter has raised plugs built in to the mating surface that plug the holes over breather bolts
iwillfixthem4u...How's the filter doing so far with blow-by and oil drip in and around the breather bolts and Throttle body I'm real close to ordering the KN?

Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
iwillfixthem4u...How's the filter doing so far with blow-by and oil drip in and around the breather bolts and Throttle body I'm real close to ordering the KN?
TUCCI as posted last night,after riding hard in the twisties yesterday for 300 miles there was no leak. Maybe to soon to tell. Power was increased in mid range and smoother through out.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:30 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Good to hear....thanks for the update!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TUCCI as posted last night,after riding hard in the twisties yesterday for 300 miles there was no leak. Maybe to soon to tell. Power was increased in mid range and smoother through out.
Another 100 miles today (400 total since install) no leaks and really love the way it runs...

Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I got it yestersay and installed it. I have some great pictures that would clear up a lot, but I have never posted pics here. If someone could give me a quick lesson that would be great.. the air filter itself has two ruber plugs built in to it that when seated seal the two wells over the vent screws. The backing plate has passages that exit into the throttle area (not the face like the Harley SE) Then the rubber vilosity piece matches up with the two holes at the inside point, deep into the throttle area. I will ride it on Saturday and report back. I would be happy to post pics of the installation. I'm not sure if it will work, but like what I see so far and trust K&N to do what they say.
Thanks. Pictures way better than instructions/information on K&N site.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Alright so I'm tired of this issue so I decided to take my SS Stealth and experiment with copper tubing. Figured if I screw it up, that would make my mind up to buy the KN model discussed in previous posts. This is the kit I have:

Because of the close proximity of the breather tunnels and the cone diverter cover, It required long sweeping curves.

I routed the tubing as far into the TB I could and still allow the flap movement. It's not as clean as some of the other prototypes, but the SE and AN breathers had more space between the tunnels....mine was maybe 1" tops.

The JB weld should hold everything together and the crisscross design holds it in place. After discussing the JB cement reliability with two other members, I confirmed cement integrity by using my Milwaukee 1200watt heat gun on a test sample. The test sample was a metal rod applicator I used to stir the mixture. I put the heat on it long enough for it to get so hot it went from gray to almost black and never melted or lost integrity. Hot enough that it should hold up just fine.

Last edited by TUCCI; 08-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior

Tucci....So, I guess the whirl wind set up on the stealth was what it was supposed to be. Since I used the copper on the A. Ness I haven't had any oil dripping period. Was a simple fix thanks to this thread....Later!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Tucci... Keep an eye on the JBWeld. That's why I soldered mine - I'm not sure I'd trust JBWeld in this application. Epoxies can be brittle. In a high vibration environment I'd select something a little more flexible. Add to that the fuel and oil mists the epoxy will be subjected to that will cause degradation over time. I don't think epoxy is robust enough in this application for complete peace-of-mind, from my perspective anyway.

Solder it once and it will last forever. Epoxy (or any adhesive), I'm not so sure.

You sure don't want to risk ingesting any of your fix into the engine.

Last edited by 2black1s; 08-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior

I have used JB on cracked blocks of Model A Ford engines with never having a problem breaking down. One engine in mind is still in service after 25 years....No joke!

I did use some SS wire around the tubing to the stand-offs....just in case.

Quick Reply: Oil Spitting Out of Air Filter