Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shock lenght question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007 | 05:45 PM
Big Red
|
Cruiser
Default shock lenght question

My fellow baggers
I have an 06 Road King and heard that a Street Glide shock is shorter than a RK shock, can you buy a SG shock and put it on a RK? Are there any other models such as EG or UG or RG that use a shorter shock that you can buy used or takeoff and lower the rear of an RK with?

Old 01-10-2007 | 05:54 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: shock lenght question

The SG and Road King Custom use the lowering shocks that HD sells as options. You can find them in the P&A catalog. They only lower the bike 3/4". You can find them on eBay. Additionally, the aftermarket sells similar shocks for under 150 bucks. Jireh Cycles has them....part #116-255....They lower the bike an inch.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...E=JIREH_CYCLES

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 01-10-2007 | 05:59 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain

The shock length on a Street Glide is 12", on your bike the shock length is 13" as it is on EG , Ultras, and most Road King models except for the Road King Custom if I am correct. You could buy a set of take off Street Glide shocks on Ebay or even some members occasionally sell them in the classified section. The 12" shock would of course lower your rear end. Alternatively you could buy one of a number of lowering kits for the rear shocks which move the mounting hole for the lower shock bolt down and back effectively lowering the bike. There are kits as little as 1" up to as much as 3". I personally have a pair of 2006 Street Glide shocks that I am not using at the moment. I'm a member of the Draggin' Baggers club who is patiently (and perhaps hopelessly) waiting to see if a new shock is produced. If you are interested in talking about a possible sale PM me or shoot me an e-mail at bdjones72@msn.com. Even if Draggin' Baggers doesn't come through I'll like go the Progressive Shock route rather than go back to the stock shocks.

Old 01-10-2007 | 06:03 PM
baron3547
Cruiser

If I am correct, all touring shocks are 13" standard length except the Street Glide and Road King Custom. These models have12" shocks. You can buy a Street Glide shock and put it on your Road King

If you are going to change the length of you shock, you might as well get a better shock than the Harley stock air shock.

Look at "Works Performance Shocks" or "Progressive Shocks" in 12"

Stay away from air shocks unless you want to slam your bike.

And whatever you do...do not buy "Draggin Baggers shocks". I have read to many bad things about the company.
ORIGINAL: Big Red

My fellow baggers
I have an 06 Road King and heard that a Street Glide shock is shorter than a RK shock, can you buy a SG shock and put it on a RK? Are there any other models such as EG or UG or RG that use a shorter shock that you can buy used or takeoff and lower the rear of an RK with?

Old 01-10-2007 | 06:41 PM
Big Red
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the information all it will help to make a decision on what to do. I will look for a SG shock on the cheap.