Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new FLHTK explodes (spotlight)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Orange Smoothie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new FLHTK explodes (spotlight)

Bike is only 1 month old and I walked out into the garage tonight to discover glass all over the floor. The left side spotlight seems to have exploded. Bike hasn't been ridden since saturday, and it busted sometime on Monday afternoon. Has anyone seen this before? I washed if Sat. morning then rode it half the day. The lights were cold when I washed it, and you would think it would break right then if that is what caused it. Haven't called the dealer yet as I didn't find it until they already closed. I do run the lights all the time. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, have you and the wife gotten into an argument lately? FT

Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Orange Smoothie
Advanced

No, and she is the one that picked out the tequila sunrise/ hd orange. She likes it as much as I do.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM
MasterGuns(Ret)
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just happened to me.
Coming back from a ride and wiping the bike down, I found that I must have caught a rock in my aux lamp. It was broken, but the bulb was still intact. Went and picked up a new lamp and installed it in the parking lot. Lamps were on for the 45 minute ride back home.

The next morning I went to breakfast with the boys. Came out of the restaurant, fired up the bike, and a few seconds later....boom. The lamp I just replaced the day before exploded, including the bulb this time. Nobody had ever seen that one before. This was a Sunday, so the dealer was closed. Called them on Tuesday to tell them I'd like a new lamp, and they were cool with it. They had never heard of it before either, but were good about giving me a new one. Went in a few days later to get the new one, installed it, and have been good ever since.

One of my friends found a thread on here from the recent past where someone else had an exploding lamp. In that case, the guy had just replaced his trim rings. Did you happen to do anything with you trim rings? When I replaced the exploded lamp, I took extra care to not overly torque the ring in case that had something to do with it exploding. I'm fairly sure over-torquing the trim ring wasn't a factor (the bulb blew, not excessive pressure on the lamp from the ring), but it never hurts to remove any doubt.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

This is interesting, my buddy who is over dramatic about everything (and is a hypochondriac about his bike and is really a pain in the ***), had his do the same thing. We all just though he was losing it again and rock hit it. But maybe he was right "it just blew up".
He only noticed his after a ride, not sitting in the garage.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Marshall
Intermediate

My dad had this happen on a Tri Glide with about 300 miles on it. It blew the bulb and shattered the left spotlight glass. He was parked and as soon as he started it and was backing up it exploded. Took back to the dealer and they fixed no problem. Turns out he also had a bad Voltage Regulator and they replaced that too. Havent had another problem since.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Orange Smoothie
Advanced

Thanks guys! No, Gunny I haven't messed with the trim ring. Voltage regulator makes sense, but the bike had been sitting for 48 hours. Maybe she was pissed I hadn't taken her out?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:08 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

mine exploded the first time the bike was in the rain, I'm suspecting water leaked in and when I turned it on it heated up and blew, no dealer help, 2500 miles

also a Teq bike !

Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 AM
chopper king matt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny you should type this as my dads left spotlight has not worked for a long time on his heritage springer softail 02

tried everything to get it working but to no joy

Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Orange Smoothie
Advanced

Just got off of the phone with dealer (Rt. 66 Tulsa) and he said they would cover it under warranty. He also said if I have any problems with local dealer to give them a call. +1 for Rt. 66

Quick Reply: new FLHTK explodes (spotlight)