Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Parts Breaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012 | 07:43 AM
MyFirstHD
|
Road Master
Default Fairing Parts Breaking

Love my '06 EGC, I just wish I didn't have to take the fairing off every year to fix something. Seems like when one part breaks, the added vibration takes something else down with it.

This bike could last forever, but if I ever do buy a new Harley I am going to install some kind of fairing bracket repair or support before the first bracket breaks and save myself the headache later down the road. This is the 8th part I've had to fix in 4 years (60,000 miles).

Really, at what point do you spend the money to buy a new inner fairing and how much is that going to cost? I'm running out of JB Weld.

Last edited by MyFirstHD; 06-09-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2012 | 07:58 AM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MyFirstHD
Love my '06 EGC, I just wish I didn't have to take the fairing off every year to fix something. Seems like when one part breaks, the added vibration takes something else down with it.

This bike could last forever, but if I ever do buy a new Harley I am going to install some kind of fairing bracket repair or support before the first bracket breaks and save myself the headache later down the road. This is the 8th part I've had to fix in 4 years (60,000 miles).

Really, at what point do you spend the money to buy a new inner fairing and how much is that going to cost? I'm running out of JB Weld.
Dude.... there is a guy on Ebay that sells nice replacement bracket kits for pre-2009 bikes for about $50. Two of my friends have bought and installed them and raved about them. Search him up on EBay.... easy to find.

Old 06-09-2012 | 08:15 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member

There are 4 metal support brackets inside the fairing. Have all 4 failed and been replaced? Twice each? What else has broken?

Old 06-09-2012 | 08:22 AM
smokeybones
Advanced

I went with Dan's brackets...http://www.nwmachine.com/rfw/index.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idwKf_4v6pQ

Last edited by smokeybones; 06-09-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2012 | 11:11 AM
Curlybill
Road Master

I have one upper that has been broken for a year. The fairing only shakes a little at idle. I figure that the weakest link has broken and has reduced the stress on the other three. So far so good. If another goes than I guess I will have to fix it. Ride safe.

Old 06-09-2012 | 05:30 PM
MyFirstHD
|
Road Master

Both fairing brackets, one speaker brackets, one speaker magnet vibrated right off, a stripped speaker screw, all windshield inserts and now the plastic support on the inner fairing that the bracket screws onto. I'm wondering if something wasn't line up properly when it was installed at the factory.

Old 06-09-2012 | 05:42 PM
ShadoHawg
Advanced

+1 Dan Ragan's brackets!

Old 06-10-2012 | 08:57 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain

yep...both fairing brackets (repaired with simple hardware) and two nurled nutserts for the windshield mount (Hooray for JB weld!). But...I figure it gives me the grand experience of figuring out the "DIY's" of simple bike repairs. Have ya had the rattle noise at low RPM back near the muffler somewhere? Thats a fun one too!

Old 06-10-2012 | 09:23 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser

Also used the repair kit from Dan. No more bracket problems here.

Old 06-11-2012 | 08:29 AM
PAPAFISH
Cruiser

I have about 20k on my 07 flhtc knock on wood no broken mounts yet.is it worth it to get Dans bracket kit to avoid any future problems?

Quick Reply: Fairing Parts Breaking