Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deceleration Popping

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deceleration Popping

What does popping on deceleration usually an indication of? I've recently had my bike Dyno Tuned.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:10 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

If its been tuned dont worry about it theres always going to be some decel popping. If its extreme then I would have it checked.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My bike's dyno tuned and doesn't pop at any time. Have a chat with your tuner.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Decel pop is caused by either a too lean condition at 0% throttle or an exhaust gasket leak causing unburned exhaust gasses to combust in the pipes.
If you just got it tuned it may need some fuel added @ 0% throttle,that's if it didn't pop before the tune. Mine popped on decel so I added 5% fuel and problem solved.

The following users liked this post:
ubreal (05-02-2019)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM
TheArchitect
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJHOG
What does popping on deceleration usually an indication of? I've recently had my bike Dyno Tuned.
From this thread:

From the TTS Manual (this is the first thing to try) - The SERT is the earlier version and this still applies -
DE fuel is controlled by the Decel Enleanment Multiplier table, Figure 3-25. The intent of this table is to temporarily remove fuel when the throttle is closed. DE mode is terminated if the throttle is opened more than about 3 percent. Note that larger multiplier values remove more fuel, just the opposite of the AE table!
This table affects exhaust “popping” when backing off the throttle. Typically, popping occurs because the mixture is too lean. Setting the multiplier value lower will richen the mixture and may help this condition.
Edit to add- I assume you mean it was not popping before the tune and started popping after the tune, in which case the tune may need some tweaking. If you added new exhaust at the same time though you may have an exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks will cause the same popping issue.

Last edited by TheArchitect; 06-08-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 AM
criyi
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

lean huh...maybe that's why I get a loud backfire every once in awhile after installing the Arlen Ness Stage 1 and the V/H twin slash 2 into 1.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Harleydaddy
Tourer

I just put Rush Big Louie slip ons on my RK and have the stock football a/c and am getting some decel popping and backfiring. No tune at this point. Getting that done next week. Hopefully the tune will eliminate this.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Decel pop is caused by either a too lean condition at 0% throttle or an exhaust gasket leak causing unburned exhaust gasses to combust in the pipes.
If you just got it tuned it may need some fuel added @ 0% throttle,that's if it didn't pop before the tune. Mine popped on decel so I added 5% fuel and problem solved.
That's what I did to solve my popping on decel.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Keeper01
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What pipes are you running? I know that with all the Thunderheaders I've run, they pop a little on decel, even when they bike has been perfectly dyno tuned.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain

V & H regular Ovals with V & H Power Duals.

Quick Reply: Deceleration Popping