Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would you buy a hi milage bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012 | 12:16 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by EricD10563
Seems like good reasoning to me, I would pass. I'll keep my high mileage bike but not going to buy someone else's high mileage bike.
I feel the same way however if the price was right,a warrantee was included(bumper to bumper and no exclusions) and service records were included I would certainly consider it.
What I would do is ask the dealer to rent the bike for a week. I would ride it for as many miles as I could and just before returning it pull an oil sample and send it out for analysis. Napa sells analysis kits if you need one.
Now send that used oil out and wait for the results. A used oil analysis will have a wealth of information,such as bearing condition,ring wear,contaminants such as silica etc that shouldn't be in there. If copper,iron,lead etc are high that can indicate worn bearings and rings. How much sulfur and fuel contamination/based on averages for miles incurred,will indicate how much blow-by is getting past the rings,indicating worn rings.
Metals in the oil(measured in parts per million) will indicate wear on parts made from those metals.
It would be worth the hassle of doing the uoa because then you would be more informed of the inside of the engine then the dealer is,which puts you in a position of strength.
And as far as the rental fee is concerned try to work in the deal that the fees be taken off the price of bike if you decide to purchase.
Now after all this is said and done it is a buyers market,a little patience will likely find you a lower mileage bike. People are broke and liquidating assets. Their loss is your gain.
Jmo

Old 06-09-2012 | 04:43 PM
Delaware.Dave
Novice

Okay, you say the bike is clean, so I'm assuming you've checked the frame for any signs of corrosion.

Have they done a compression check?

The engine and trans are the issue. The markdown they are giving is about the same as the cost of the offical HD engine reman program. $3,000. My counter-offer would be to mark it down further for the same amount as the labor for a potential engine swap, or a reasonable deal near that.

Then buy and ride the bike. Reman the engine if it becomes an issue.

Old 06-09-2012 | 05:06 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

unless it is a steel , don't think so , my 07 has 46000 , not sure of the warrenty co eather , if you get it be sure it is the HD warrenty , it is good at all HD dealers , soom of the after market ones are not and to picky , if you can aford it I would shop , the year an't bad but up on miles

Old 06-10-2012 | 01:43 AM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ultimo-hombre
Classic quote, I am gonna steal this one!
Let's keep it legal.
Please accept this as permission to use it wherever you feel it's appropriate

Old 06-10-2012 | 07:10 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

If the price is right compared to a 40k miles bike i would consider it. 2 year warranty will be handy...from what i have seen, problems show between 30k and 60k miles like compensator, inner primary....other than that if the bike is solid....MIne has 70 and the problems have been addressed. Under extended warranty...Mileage means IT WAS JUST RIDDEN...not that it was mistreated....With that said, if you can find one with lower miles for the same price...go forit.

Old 06-10-2012 | 05:31 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by madmustang4
I know this would be a hike from Boise, but there is a dealership in Wisconsin and I think it's Hals, that gets a fair number of damaged Harleys, fixes them and then sells them as salvage bikes. They would always carry a salvage title with them, but you could get a decent bike for less than normal market value
try to sell a bike with a salvage title , if your lucky you can pay someone to take it , no way on a salvage bike

Old 06-10-2012 | 10:30 PM
Bam15012
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
try to sell a bike with a salvage title , if your lucky you can pay someone to take it , no way on a salvage bike
I can attest to this. You can easily dump 10 to15k into a project and no one will want to give you a third of that because of the title

Old 06-11-2012 | 11:06 PM
ultimo-hombre
|
Intermediate

Well put this issue to rest in my book as I bought another bike... an 08 Ultra, nice rinehart full pipes, oil cooler, stage 1 kit, painted to match inner fairing, not a scratch on it and runs awesome. thumbs up from a mechanic. best of all 12k miles. sales price over 2 grand below book.

Now i have to figure out how and the hell to set up and operate the intercom, what i need to buy, and how to run the CB....

Old 06-12-2012 | 12:22 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ultimo-hombre
... and how to run the CB....
hee hee nobody uses them anymore- good luck getting a breaker for radio check!

congrats on the new ride.

Mike

Old 06-12-2012 | 07:40 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member

I use the cb all the time when riding with others.

Quick Reply: would you buy a hi milage bike?