Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would you buy a hi milage bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012 | 11:43 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigTM
I would not sell a good bike just because of high miles. But I would never buy one with that high mileage unless it was ALOT cheaper.
T
Seems like good reasoning to me, I would pass. I'll keep my high mileage bike but not going to buy someone else's high mileage bike.

Old 06-08-2012 | 12:35 AM
edge540steve
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EricD10563
Seems like good reasoning to me, I would pass. I'll keep my high mileage bike but not going to buy someone else's high mileage bike.

+1 Id run my own along time but never trust someone elses extra miles.

Whats the price? If its actually a good price and not just the dealer saying its a good price the It could be worth it.

Buy what you can afford, if what you want is 25k and you have 12k then you might be looking at a high mile bike and there is nothing wrong with that if you can spin wrenches or the warranty offered is worth the paper its written on.

Check a few different dealers and don't hesitate to walk out, it is an absolute buyers market!

Old 06-08-2012 | 02:08 AM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Cool

I just purchased a 2007 Street Glide stock with 323 miles on it for 12,000 deals are out there....

Old 06-08-2012 | 06:19 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior

Hell yeah, but only if the price was good enough I could take it right to my motor builder and have it overhauled.

Old 06-08-2012 | 06:55 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

I'm going to disagree with most, and I am a newbie (6 years and about 100k under my belt). BUT, I am in the used equipment business. I buy new when I can't get what I want used, and I can afford all new ones. I sold a 08 FLHR I bought new to get into a 04 FLHRSI because it fit me right. I just traded that in on a new 12 only because I wanted all the new stuff since 09 and the 103 (and I got $600 more than I paid 2 years and 23,000 miles ago for it).
ANYWAY... I have good independent mechanic I trust my bikes to, I would call him and ask if I could book him for a day, I want you to go through this bike one end to the other. If a part doesn't make 70% of new spec, replace it. Ask for a estimate on his time. Put that onto your 'percieved' cost. My 99 FXDWG was 7 years old with 2200 miles when I bought it, at the end of that day (described above) if it was made of rubber, it was replaced. Tires, shocks, handlebar bushings, to name a few. So IMHO, rather than give some insurance rip off scam a grand or two, spend it on getting the warm'n'fuzzies.

Old 06-08-2012 | 06:57 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Buying new is good if you have the money. Otherwise I would not let the mileage worry me. These bikes can last a whole lot longer than 88k miles and 5 years. You never know what you are getting, just do your due diligence and hope for the best. You might find deals on low mileage bikes, but I would buy the bike I like the best even if it had more miles on it. It's not like the bike is a collectors item with over 1,000,000 miles on it. To some people it seems that way, but to some of us 88k is just getting warmed up. The bike was owned by someone who used it like it should be used, nothing more. 17/18k a year is barely getting your money's worth out of it.

Old 06-08-2012 | 07:38 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

I am the 2nd owner and have 69K on my 05, most of which were put on by me. That being said, I trust this bike to be good to go for a lot more miles because I take good care of it, and know the bike.

Would I buy one with high mileage that I didnt know? NO!!! But I would buy a high mileage bike, if I knew who had it and was assured they were just as **** as me when it came to regular maintaining and care... :-)

Old 06-08-2012 | 07:51 AM
LynnSG
Road Captain

Even though its for enjoyment its still an investment. I would pass and find something with alot less miles.

Old 06-08-2012 | 08:46 AM
MLHJR1
Cruiser

never trust the dealership, unless you have done business with them before and know their service dept. as if they are your best buddies. That is where you will find the truth.
Sales folks are just trying to move the bike.. IF they actually spent money to go through it, then ask for the records of service.. and so on..
If they do not have it, then I would pass and move on to the next good deal you bump into.

Mo

Old 06-08-2012 | 08:47 AM
PhoneGuy-MI
Tourer

Originally Posted by ultimo-hombre
So my question is simply this.... Would you consider buying a bike with that milage if it otherwise is THE bike. Is a guy looking at a rebuild at 100k
So what did you decide with all the input provided? Deal or no deal?

Quick Reply: would you buy a hi milage bike?