Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory Auxilary Switch Activation ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
cafjo01
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Accessory Auxilary Switch Activation ?

Folks,
I have a 2011 Road King. I want to know when the Accessory Switch will turn on power to my accessory when I flip it up. Is it 1.) When the switch on the console is turned to ACC? 2.) When the switch on the console is turned to Ignition with engine off? 3.) Only when the engine is running? One, two or three or a combination as a response works.

I already know about the plug under the seat so no need to point that out. I also think the numbers on the plug have 3 as the wire activated when the accessory switch is turned on and 4 as the ground.

Thanks in advance for your response.

John

Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 PM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

On my 09 Ultra, as long as the ignition is turned on (engine does not have to be running), the accessory switch will work. Turn off the ignition, and it will shut off the accessory. The other wires work great for adding extra lighting. There are 4 wires coming out, 1 is ground, 1 is controlled by the ACC switch, 1 is brake, 1 is running lights. I have used this plug for adding extra brake and running lights so i didn't have to butcher any existing wiring.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Put a volt meter to it and find out for yourself for sure. One pin does one thing and the other pin something else. You got to probe these yourself to factually find out what pin does what. I know I stole one of the leads for ignition on voltage lead for my spot light switch.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The accessory switch is energized when the ignition is "on" or in "acc."

Carl

Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 AM
iTiger
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The accessory switch is energized when the ignition is "on" or in "acc."

Carl
Concur. Power is available to the accessory switch on the nacelle when ignition switch is in either ON or ACC position--providing switched power. Power is provided through the accessory switch on the nacelle to pin 3 of the accessory plug underneath the seat--pin 4 is GND.

I have a heated hammock seat that plugs into the accessory plug. It is connected to pin 3 for power and uses pin 4 to ground; therefore, power to it is controlled by the accessory switch on the nacelle. I also connect a riser mounted radio to switched power, pin 1 of the accessory plug--which has power when ignition switch is either ON or ACC and it not controlled by the accessory switch on the nacelle.

simplified summary (I hope):
12vdc (switched/P&A circuit) --> accessory plug pin 1
12vdc (switched/P&A circuit) -->accessory switch on nacelle --> accessory plug pin 3 (+) --> [accessory] --> accessory plug pin 4 (GND)

Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A member posted this diagram recently and I snagged it - but I don’t remember who.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
A member posted this diagram recently and I snagged it - but I don’t remember who.
I found it years ago and kept it.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 06-08-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato

That diagram is for older models. The more recent colors are different. Pin 1 wire isn't green anymore. It's orange with red. Pin 2 wire is red and yellow instead of red and white. The other colors are the same.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
That diagram is for older models. The more recent colors are different. Pin 1 wire isn't green anymore. It's orange with red. Pin 2 wire is red and yellow instead of red and white. The other colors are the same.
But they do have the same function.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 PM
iTiger
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
But they do have the same function.
Agree. The orientation is correct for the accessory plug under the seat. Also, the pin numbers are marked along edge of the wire side of the Deutsch plug.

Quick Reply: Accessory Auxilary Switch Activation ?