Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rpm/mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012 | 09:20 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

Originally Posted by edge540steve
Absolutely calling BS here! My 103 gets 31-33MPG and that is it! In town, cross country, 2 up, solo on the freeway, no way in hell im ever seeing 50 MPG.

Steve
Call BS if you want. Just because YOU can't do it doesn't mean others can't. 31-33, either means you have something not set up right..... or it's YOU. There's something wrong.

If you have your engine set up for lots of power, you are NOT going to get good mileage.

There are a LOT of us seeing 50. Is your engine stock? How fast do you ride? How hard do you twist the wick? HOW OLD ARE YOU?

And in town, 2 up, and freeway = lower mileage.

My engine is stock, stock exhaust, stock intake, stock cams, no tuner. Plugs are a nice tan color when I check them.

Most of my riding is 55mph.... midwest level roads. One up all the time. My wife has her own bike.
I don't stop for a beer every 30 miles. Short hops KILL mileage.

Going long distance without stopping will get you better mpg.

50 to 55 MPH is king of the sweet spot for mpg.

RTFM.... there is even a reference to SLOW DOWN when you are running low on fuel to get more range.

Go faster, and the drag increases exponentially.

It's not rocket science. Twist the throttle and MPGs go down.

Crap gas with alcohol will also hurt MPG

Last edited by shooter5074; 06-08-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-08-2012 | 12:16 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Call BS if you want. Just because YOU can't do it doesn't mean others can't. 31-33, either means you have something not set up right..... or it's YOU. There's something wrong.

If you have your engine set up for lots of power, you are NOT going to get good mileage.

There are a LOT of us seeing 50. Is your engine stock? How fast do you ride? How hard do you twist the wick? HOW OLD ARE YOU?

My engine is stock, stock exhaust, stock intake, stock cams, no tuner. Plugs are a nice tan color when I check them.

Most of my riding is 55mph.... midwest level roads. One up all the time. My wife has her own bike.

RTFM.... there is even a reference to SLOW DOWN when you are running low on fuel to get more range.

I can agree with most of what you've written in this post, but "a LOT of us seeing 50" is a little stretch in my opinion. It's more like a few.

Based on my experience in this forum, for every person that claims 50 or 50+ MPGs, there are hundreds at mid 40s or lower.

I'm not doubting your claim based on your explanation of the conditions and style of most of your riding. But the other 50 MPG claim in this thread with an AFR of 12.0/1 - now that one is hard for me to fathom.

Old 06-08-2012 | 12:28 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I can agree with most of what you've written in this post, but "a LOT of us seeing 50" is a little stretch in my opinion. It's more like a few.

Based on my experience in this forum, for every person that claims 50 or 50+ MPGs, there are hundreds at mid 40s or lower.

I'm not doubting your claim based on your explanation of the conditions and style of most of your riding. But the other 50 MPG claim in this thread with an AFR of 12.0/1 - now that one is hard for me to fathom.

Yes...LOTS. The ones getting way lower have more than likely modified their fuel/intake/exhaust systems. There are probably more people here, who have done performance mods than people who ride stock.

Don't even go there with the air fuel ratios.... that means MODIFIED. And I would doubt that 12.0/1 one too.

LOOK AT THE SPECS http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...om.html#/specs the specs say 54 highway/35 city for my bike. I have hit 54 MPG a few times on long trips. My average is 49/50

And my style of riding is........ TOURING...... not going like a bat out of hell, and cranking the throttle every chance I get. I like looking at the scenery, without it being a blur.

A STOCK bike with someone who doesn't weigh a ton, and controls throttle, can get 50+ mpg (assuming the year and model claim it can). If you throw pipes,and fuel maps at the bike for performance or cooling, you're gonna screw up the mileage.

And to throw another wrench into the mix is ALTITUDE.

Last edited by shooter5074; 06-08-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2012 | 04:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Did 202 miles today and put in 3.8 gallons and that was standing there stuffing it after it shut off. That is 53.16 mpg. The ride was on two lanes roads with a 55 mph limit. I was on cruise control 95% of the distance.

Lean? Someone must not understand 12.1 to 1 AFR. The worst on the 12 RGC was 50 during break in. The best was a 54.7.

The gas is 91 octane form a 66 station with no alcohol.

I have three bikes with TC96's and this one with the 103. All have constantly yielded at least 50 mpg. All are set up the same. Cobra Fi2000R, Stage I A/C and stock exhaust. This yield a cooler running motor which in turn runs stronger and more torque.

I accelerate modestly (well most of the time) and run the 55 in sixth with the cruise on.

I doubt that many ride that conservatively and they will never see those numbers but I'm sure they don't care as they are looking for the fun factor.

On tours with the Ultra in the past two seasons I always got 50 crossing the Rockies. Used 85 octane in high elevations always.

Last edited by lh4x4; 06-08-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2012 | 05:44 PM
edge540steve
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shooter5074

Might be something wrong with me!

I may be missing something here but I wont even run in 6th gear under 75 period. Its just luggin like hell and did the same stock. Whats 55 in sixth: 1200 RPM ??

On an 800 mile trip last weekend I was dumping dam near 5 gallons of shell or 76 premium 91 octane every 150 miles. We rode 2 up with the bags full of crap. Not riding too hard or stopping much.

Its a 12' limited with 4" true duals, cams, head work, big sucker, tuner and it boogies! I rode it easy the first couple tanks while stock and its only ever got 35MPG solo on the freeway.

I dunno, Im 34 and I ride the hell out of it but have commuted it for a week riding 70 on the freeway 35 miles both ways on cruise and only got 34-35 MPG stock with over a 1000 miles on bike.

RTFM ???

Steve

Old 06-08-2012 | 06:22 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by edge540steve
Might be something wrong with me!

I may be missing something here but I wont even run in 6th gear under 75 period. Its just luggin like hell and did the same stock. Whats 55 in sixth: 1200 RPM ??

On an 800 mile trip last weekend I was dumping dam near 5 gallons of shell or 76 premium 91 octane every 150 miles. We rode 2 up with the bags full of crap. Not riding too hard or stopping much.

Its a 12' limited with 4" true duals, cams, head work, big sucker, tuner and it boogies! I rode it easy the first couple tanks while stock and its only ever got 35MPG solo on the freeway.

I dunno, Im 34 and I ride the hell out of it but have commuted it for a week riding 70 on the freeway 35 miles both ways on cruise and only got 34-35 MPG stock with over a 1000 miles on bike.

RTFM ???

Steve
55 in 6th is 2200 rpm. But with your mods you moved your power band up in the RPM range. In other words, you all but eliminated your low end torque.

Everything from "It's a 12' Limited" on explains your mileage. You're not going to get good mileage with those mods, and the way you ride.

RTFM means Read the f'ing manual

Old 06-08-2012 | 07:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

the only one i ever rode with that consistently got 50 was on a 883,so... I'm thinking if a 96 or 103 thats a couple hundred pounds heavier is getting that something is wrong with the fuel system,ontop of that i don't know how anyone can cruise at 55 on any harley.

Old 06-08-2012 | 08:19 PM
fabricater
Cruiser

My 2010 ultra LT would get between 36 and 38 stock at best every tank.I normally ride 60mph.in ^th gear.got rid of the cat and added cobra triovals,and V & H fuel pack and my fuel milage went to 41 to 42 mpg at 60mph.I got 45.8 on ! tank I have never seen that again.There is no way my bike will get 50 mpg.When I pull camper it drops to 37 mpg.

Old 06-08-2012 | 08:29 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

could even be the harley odometer being way off,something aint right if your getting 50 on a bagger.

Old 06-08-2012 | 09:16 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
could even be the harley odometer being way off,something aint right if your getting 50 on a bagger.

I use my GPS.............................. next?

Originally Posted by fabricater
When I pull camper it drops to 37 mpg.
I love that one .... You rock...... I'm going to try some of your mods soon....

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
i don't know how anyone can cruise at 55 on any harley.

DUH???? It's a TOURING bike...... DUH????

Last edited by shooter5074; 06-08-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: rpm/mpg