Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Ultra sour grapes, or old fool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:19 AM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Ultra sour grapes, or old fool?

First off I'm not looking to start any arguements, this is only my observation.

Just bought a 2010 Ultra Classic, traded in my 2001 Ultra Classic. I am not impressed with the new bike. Riding geometry seems high some how, kind of like riding a BMW tourer not like a Harley at all. I've been riding HD for more than 30 years and this bike does not feel like a HD to me (remember only my opinion here) The ride seems much stiffer and I'm likely wrong about this but it seems longer too?!?!? And what's the point of a 6th gear, unless you are doing 80 mph or more the engine is lugging in 6th. I don't mind travelling at 80 or 100 mph but it eally isn't practical, I never had a problem exceeding 100mph with 5speeds either.

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but this bike seems to have no soul. I feel like it's almost as if HD was trying too hard to be something more like every other bike.

Just my opinion folks, let the old man rant.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Don’t know how to answer, but I will try.

First, Riding geometry seems high:
When was it made, and does it have the stock seat?
The seat on the 09s and early 10s put the rider higher then the newer versions. I believe it was sometime in Feb. of 2010 they started shipping with the lower seat due to complaints. ( there may be threads here I this, I am not sure. )
I replaced mine ( after the introductory price ) with the lower sear ( seat says “low” on the plastic on the bottom ) When riding lowered me about an inch, but then had to break in that new seat which took a while to be comfortable.

As far as sixth gear goes, it is useful for highway speeds. A lot of threads on this, but my stock motor feels very comfortable in sixth gear at or above 68 MPH. So cruising at 72 keeps the cagers at bay and keeps me under the radar so to speak.

As far as the suspension goes, I can not say. Have there been any mods to it??

As far as old fool goes, well .... join the club!

Last edited by IKnowNot; 06-06-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

I think it may be the TBW. It makes the throttle feel "disconnected" from the power.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:23 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How many miles have you put on the new bike? And how many did you ride the old one? I think you may find that after a little more time on the new bike, you probably will start to like it a lot more. I've found that for some of us "older" riders, a new bike has to break in a bit like a new pair of shoes. Also, have you adjusted the handlebars closer to you? They are adjustable and that can make a big difference.

As far as sixth gear, I'm with you for the most part. I would just as soon have the same overdrive gear that sixth gear is, just in five gears instead of six. The only reason to have six gears is to have "shorter" or closer gear changes. That's only good for acceleration such as racing. Otherwise, give me the same gear spread over just 5 gears. On the other hand, I think you will find sixth gear to be more handy than you first may think. I wasn't using mine much when I had my first one but then started using it more and it really doesn't lug as much as you might think. Especially when you're out on the highway.

So overall I would say give it some more time, and do some things to personalize the ride for you such as the seat as mentioned above, and maybe repositioning the handle bars.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

---Since you bought it used it is sometimes hard to tell what mods the previous owner has done?
---Did '01's have air adjustable suspension?
---What IKN said about the seat is interesting. I've been thinking about changing my seat anyway. Not b/c of height but b/c I too like to sit down in something (car, truck, or bike) as apposed to on top of it. Also I put 10" mini-apes on. Looks wise they are perfect but if I sat lower they would come close to being the same height as my shoulders.
---As far as 6th I love it. To me 5th gear always kinda screamed out that it needed another gear. I never seem to have this lugging problem others complain about. Maybe it is the Stage 1 that is making the difference? I'm often doing 50 in 6th and doing just fine.
Give it a little time, check the air pressure in the rear suspension, and check on that seat.
Congrats on the new ride!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,840 Likes on 3,179 Posts

I would never have done the deal.

You gave up a short stroke motor with a hot forged crank and Timken Lefty bearing, air adjustable suspension both front and rear, a throttle that opens with a cable, 100,000 mile wheel bearings, no limp mode / parade mode, heat issues, weak primary ( clink clank grind on hot starts,) and a reliable 5 speed in exchange for a totally unnecessary 6 speed.

In other words you traded down. Harley has been going downhill since 2003 and got simply ridiculous from 2007 and on.

My 2000 has 109,000 miles on it, ( my 14th bike,) is my daily rider and will be rebuilt before I do that to myself. Good Luck. ( Just one old fool to another...)

Last edited by Stiggy; 06-06-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with ya man, I have an '09 EGC and I like my '05 RG way better. That said the '09 is still a good bike. There's a few things you can do to make it better. Change the primary gearing, not only is your 6th too high, first also sucks for riding in traffic and low speed maneuvers. As said another seat will alow you to sit lower (in) the bike. The suspension certainly sucks in stock form, you can change it out, do your homework as there are many options.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 AM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Hmmmm. Now I'm second guessing myself. Do I want my Black Cherry 05 Ultra back????

Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 AM
peippert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Love the new ones

I traded my 70,000 mile 2004 Ultra on a 2012 Road Glide Ultra - Love it. It handles great - no more hinge in the middle. And it lopes down the highway on long legs. The spatial relationship between the seat, bars and floorboards are different, but I like the difference - a little more spread out - and I'm only 5'8". The 103 is just fantastic - I put a Big Sucker on, a Vance and Hines Fuelpak and true duals and it is a screamer! Until I ran a few tanks of fuel threw it I was wondering if I made a mistake, but on the third tank it became "My" bike!

Harley suspension is still junk - same old crappy air shocks and poor front suspension. I plan at some point to replace the rear shocks and do the Progressive cartridge upgrade in the front. Then it will be perfect.

Last edited by peippert; 06-06-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 AM
peippert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Love the new ones

I traded my 70,000 mile 2004 Ultra on a 2012 Road Glide Ultra - Love it. It handles great - no more hinge in the middle. And it lopes down the highway on long legs. The spatial relationship between the seat, bars and floorboards are different, but I like the difference - a little more spread out - and I'm only 5'8". The 103 is just fantastic - I put a Big Sucker on, a Vance and Hines Fuelpak and true duals and it is a screamer! Until I ran a few tanks of fuel through it I was wondering if I made a mistake, but on the third tank it became "My" bike!

Harley suspension is still junk - same old crappy air shocks and poor front suspension. I plan at some point to replace the rear shocks and do the Progressive cartridge upgrade in the front. Then it will be perfect.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ultra sour grapes, or old fool?