Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Ultra sour grapes, or old fool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when i bought my flhrc i felt i was setting up way to high . i shipped the stock seat to MeanCity Cycle and had the seat lowered and narrowed a few inchs with memory foam added fore comfort . way way more thrifty than buying a new seat ... my total coast including shipping bothways was just under $150 . give allen a call and see what he can do for you.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzy jack
Thank's to all for the grest feedback and advice. It souds like I just have to spend more money to make it more comfortable and rider (this rider anyway) friendly! I've a;ways personalized my bikes I don't recall feeling this uncomfortable with any of my previous 7 Harleys. I tend to keep my baikes for a long time and here I am considering dumping this girl. Thanks again to everyone.
I traded my 05 Ultra for a '12 Limited in February. The o5 fit me perfectly, stock seat and bars. I've done a couple of back to back 15 hours in the saddle trips with no problems.

The first few rides on the 12 were great.. new toy!! After that the "strange" feeling crept in. It just doesn't feel "right". Makes sense, it's a new frame.

Instead of throwing money at it right away (seat, bars), i'm just going to ride the hell out of it and see if I adjust to it. I did a 10 hour saddle day and I was fine. It still feels a little "off" but I think time and miles will fix that.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

It's a long time ago now, but when I bought my Glide I was fine on shorter trips, but just didn't feel at ease on longer ones. Then one day I decided the bar ends were a little high and after a few attempts got them just right and since then have crossed continents on it. Cost nothing! So I agree with BugBYter, just let the miles roll on and you will probably find as I did that some small adjustment or change will make it just right, but it may take a little time to identify what it is.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 AM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I'd try is another seat,my Sundowner is lower than a stock seat by at least 2 in,and much more comfortable.Makes a big difference.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69z28
First thing I'd try is another seat,my Sundowner is lower than a stock seat by at least 2 in,and much more comfortable.Makes a big difference.
Thanks' that's probably where I will start.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I just keep reading this type of thread and wonder why I continue to want a new Ultra. My current ride is setup perfect for me, and while I'd like better suspension, everything else seems to be made for me now that I've got it dialed in. I can ride for hours on end and enjoy every minute of it. But that desire to own a new scoot just keeps haunting me. I'll keep fighting it, especially after reading this one.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
fishfinder
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my new 2012 Limited 3 weeks ago. Previous to that, I was riding a 2005 Ultra Classic, and before that, a 1996 Ultra Classic. So I've got a lot of years riding an Ultra Classic. The thing that I notice most about the new Limited is that I get a lot more wind turbulence that I did on the previous 2 bikes. Even with the lower fairings closed and the wind deflectors closed, I get more turbulence behind the bat wing then previous bikes. I also get a lot more wind buffeting the top of my helmet than the previous bikes -- to the point that it is really annoying at 70mph and above. Standard height windshield, looking just over the top of it as with previous bikes. Seems like the aerodynamics is different.

Anybody else experience anything similar?? Or any suggestions?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,499 Posts

My 12 is the best bike I have ever had. I wouldn't want any of my other Harleys back. A few things are different (TBW) although not a big deal at all. I ride my wifes bike with throttle cables and I don't like it. A few things are worse (CAT) I removed it and installed true duals,heat is gone.I was hesitate about EFI. I ride all year which includes lots of cold months,and I love just starting up and go. No more cold starts,or choke issues. I have learned to appreciate fuel injection.

Also with the old crap frame, I still remember pushing my speed in heavy corners,and mountain riding. My old RK would bend and feel like a wet noodle compared to the new frame. That alone is the worth the upgrade for me. Things change,technology improves,some see it as good or bad,but change is a part of life. Give it time,and you might learn to like it.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfinder
I just picked up my new 2012 Limited 3 weeks ago. Previous to that, I was riding a 2005 Ultra Classic, and before that, a 1996 Ultra Classic. So I've got a lot of years riding an Ultra Classic. The thing that I notice most about the new Limited is that I get a lot more wind turbulence that I did on the previous 2 bikes. Even with the lower fairings closed and the wind deflectors closed, I get more turbulence behind the bat wing then previous bikes. I also get a lot more wind buffeting the top of my helmet than the previous bikes -- to the point that it is really annoying at 70mph and above. Standard height windshield, looking just over the top of it as with previous bikes. Seems like the aerodynamics is different.

Anybody else experience anything similar?? Or any suggestions?
I get a lot a lot more turbulance than I think I should. Been chalking it up to the nature of the beast. Every once in a while I try something. Like checking the air in the tires, or various torques, but everything always checks out.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:36 PM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
My 12 is the best bike I have ever had.......

.......Give it time,and you might learn to like it.
I agree 100%.

It's just that after so many hours and miles on the old bike your mind and body is used to that feeling. A new bike just feels different. It's going to take time and miles to adjust to the new normal.

I think part of the problem is when going from old ultra to new ultra, everything kinda looks the same and is familiar but with the new frame it's a different feel.

I've put 4700 miles on mine since Feb and it's almost normal now. I don't really think about it anymore. Only issue I still have is judging speed. On my 05 I knew how fast I was going without looking at the speedo and I definitely knew if I was running 80+. On the '12 80 feels like 60. I still have to pay attention or my speed creeps up quick.