Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch cable ran out of adjustment? What gives?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch cable ran out of adjustment? What gives?

Hi All,
I installed an AIM clutch kit with a 340lb spring and a Barnett clutch cable. Everything works great but I have a bit too much free play at the lever. I went to adjust the clutch cable to take up some of the slack and the threaded end popped out of the adjustment nut. I'll assume there is no other place to take up the slack in the lever? Any other ideas? I don't like having 1 thread in the adjustment barrel.
Thanks,
J.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like maybe you got a bad Barnett cable (actual cable cut a touch long compared to the casing/housing or has stretched to the max)

The following users liked this post:
WVHARLEEMANN (03-17-2022)
Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you have to readjust it at the clutch itself, and the adjuster screw in the middle of the clutch pack has to be turned in a little bit.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master

You may be right. Manual said 1/2 to 1 turn out and I split the difference with 3/4 of a turn. Maybe I'll just go 1/2 and see what happens. Will that take up some slack?

Boomer1143 (05-06-2023)
Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

Yep, I believe only backing off a half turn instead of 3/4 turn should take up some slack for you. It took me a few tries to get the feel for adjusting it at the clutch pack. "Lightly seated" is different to everybody, for me I'd watch the clutch diaphragm to see when it just barely started to depress, backed it off a very, very slight amount, and then a little over a half turn from there.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

You'll know it's finally correctly adjusted at both ends when the freeplay is right and the clutch disengages where you want it to using the clutch lever. I like mine a little closer to the bar, so it disengages about an inch off the handlebar grip. If it disengages immediately when you touch the clutch lever, you went too far- it's too tight at the clutch pack and you'll risk burning up the clutch if you ride with it like that for too long.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
You may be right. Manual said 1/2 to 1 turn out and I split the difference with 3/4 of a turn. Maybe I'll just go 1/2 and see what happens. Will that take up some slack?
Did you use a new cable or the old one cuz I tried that and it didnt work....you ran out of threads cuz the G__d__m cable stretched at least thats what happened to mine, playing with clutchpack screw just partially engages the clutch. Your just going to have to take the adjuster as far as it will go without it running out of thread and lock it down. It will just have to do or change to a new clutch cable. If you used a new cable you need to make sure its got a max 3 1/2" pull.

Sc0- (05-06-2023)
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like you may have a defectivily made cable (if its new). I just purchased Barnett clutch and throttles and the throttle cables had too long of a "travel length". Barnett sent me a universal adjustable end which I had to cut some cable off to get them to adjust. You wont be able to do that with the clutch, but I noticed the clutch cable has a pretty long adjustment to it for a new cable.
Now I am thinking Barnett has some QC issues.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 PM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it is not just me either, I just did bars on both the wife's and my Street glides, and have the same issues, the clutch freeplay adjuster is maxed out. one more turn and it separates. I just hope the cable doesn't stretch or it will be new cables again.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM
toad6301
Road Captain

You may have done this I dont know:

COLLAPSE the cable adjuster completely
prior to doing adjustment at the basket,
then adjust cable...........

swabby09 (03-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Clutch cable ran out of adjustment? What gives?