Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch cable ran out of adjustment? What gives?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:55 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon65
for those of you with the cable spacer from Barnett, is it true that it will only work with their cable? I need one, and have the stock cable.
As said above, you've got other issues. Sounds like you're changing a clutch cable at the very least.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:02 PM
Mertoid
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Before you replace the cable or add a spacer, try this;

"Loosen cable adjuster til the lever is about half way to the grip. Turn the adjuster screw in til it makes contact, keep turning while working the lever, the lever will move out away from the grip. If it moves all the way, loosen the cable adjuster some more, repeat the process. When the lever doesn't move away from the grip anymore while tightening the adjuster screw, the ***** are bottomed out in their ramps. Now you can make sure that the adjuster screw is barely touching the rod, and make sure you have some free play in the lever. Now, back out 1/2 to 1 turn, and adjust the cable."

It's a modified version of the way the manual says to do it, worked great on mine.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mertoid:
18rmiller (06-23-2023), mzierk (07-23-2018), Ragtop (10-03-2021), trip20 (07-01-2017)
Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I'm burnt out from work but what the hell does grip size have to with the cable? It attaches to the perch on the lever, not the grip like the cable throttle attachment...

Old 09-25-2015, 07:50 AM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A larger diameter grip won't allow the lever to be pulled in as far.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:29 AM
jay.weber
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mertoid

"Loosen cable adjuster til the lever is about half way to the grip. Turn the adjuster screw in til it makes contact, keep turning while working the lever, the lever will move out away from the grip. If it moves all the way, loosen the cable adjuster some more, repeat the process. When the lever doesn't move away from the grip anymore while tightening the adjuster screw, the ***** are bottomed out in their ramps. Now you can make sure that the adjuster screw is barely touching the rod, and make sure you have some free play in the lever. Now, back out 1/2 to 1 turn, and adjust the cable."

It's a modified version of the way the manual says to do it, worked great on mine.
No need to replace cables or buy a/m spacers...your clutch is not properly adjusted. Follow the instructions above and all problems should be resolved.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Cdodson
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Everyone needs to listen to Mertoid!!!!

Originally Posted by Mertoid

Dealt with same issue with a LA Chopper clutch cable. It was binding up and I ran completely out of adjustment, felt dead after adjusting the clutch and cable. You all are wasting money with the spacers. I racked my brain for 2 days before finally reading his post. Had my Sh*t back together and running in 10 minutes.

THANKS MERTOID!!!!!

Last edited by Cdodson; 09-03-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Mertoid
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad I could help! I've taken away far more than I've contributed to this site, a wealth of good information on here!

Old 07-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Although this post is a few years old, I'll add a bit more from my experiences...

Sometimes when adjusting the clutch at the clutch hub, 1/2 to 1 turn, you can get a false feeling for when the adjuster contacts. I usually will adjust the clutch adjuster in until I feel 'first contact', then back off about a half turn and move it in again. I seem to get a different place where that initial contact feels like contact was made. This is probably due to the ***** finding their 'center' in the ramp. I have done this as much as three times to ensure a good contact between adjusting screw, intermediate clutch rod, and the ball/ramp assembly.

Last edited by Def Mute; 07-22-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:41 AM
limboglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put on a new set of 12" Twin Peaks and a +6" clutch cable, just as others have found out the cable ran out of adjustment and the clutch lever was loose.
Performed the adjustment as Mertoid explained and it worked perfectly. Thanks Mertoid!!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:25 PM
1LargeDog
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Although this post is a few years old, I'll add a bit more from my experiences...

Sometimes when adjusting the clutch at the clutch hub, 1/2 to 1 turn, you can get a false feeling for when the adjuster contacts. I usually will adjust the clutch adjuster in until I feel 'first contact', then back off about a half turn and move it in again. I seem to get a different place where that initial contact feels like contact was made. This is probably due to the ***** finding their 'center' in the ramp. I have done this as much as three times to ensure a good contact between adjusting screw, intermediate clutch rod, and the ball/ramp assembly.
What he said.......did mine 3 times and the final setting was almost a 1/4 turn more when seated properly. Everything works nice now.

Quick Reply: Clutch cable ran out of adjustment? What gives?