Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question. Help needed. PC for touring models...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question. Help needed. PC for touring models...

Hi.

I really don't know how to approach the subject since my ride is carburated and I'm doing this for a friend of mine. My friend's ride is an Ultra and he recently changed the exhaust for the screamin' eagle ones from HD.
Now, I've told him to change also the ignition module and the air intake, but when it comes to the ignition module... What would you reccomend? I've heared plenty in here about the PowerCommander III, what is exactly the PCIII? What does it include? How does it works?

Thank you very much for your help on this.

Mimo.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:26 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question. Help needed. PC for touring models...

The PCIII is a tuner for FI bikes only. If your buds bike is carb, you can't use a PCIII. I personally would not change any ignition parts. Just change the air cleaner, and get that carb rejetted. Pick up a Dynojet kit and a 47-48 pilot jet.

nogood o~`o

Old 01-09-2007, 08:29 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have misread your post. If the bike is FI, you can install a PCIII, get a map from the Dynojet website and install it yourself. It will "Lie" to the engine controller allowing more fuel to be delivered to the engine. When you open up the air cleaner, and exhaust, you need more fuel.

nogood o~`o

Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is kinda a basic description of the thing.

It's a small rectangular box that plugs into the wiring harness that goes to the stock Module on the right side of the Ultra, behind the triangular painted cover just before the hard-bag. Then it has a cable that comes OUT of it and INTO the stock module. So the PC111 is now "in front" of the standard module. Then it,not the standard module, decides how-much, and when, to open the injectors, thus allowing more fuel. When you buy it you can do 1 of 2 things to get it goin. You can ask the seller to "pre-program" it by telling him what pipes and air cleaner are on the bike, IF he is willing to take the time to open the pack, go on-line, and download the appropriate map. Or you can do that yourself if you have a computer on-line. It's pretty easy and the instructional CD that comes with it shows how to do it. But after this it is a good idea to Dyno-Tune the bike. It usually will give a nice boost to performance by "tuning" for the specific conditions of that particular bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20949/1C2A314E4581437D8BBD8F368FCC7F42.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Thank you very much for you information guys, then if I understand correctly, it is basically a high performance ignition module, right? How would you compare the PCIII against the Screamin' Eagle performance module??? Which one is better? Where is a good place to get it online?

Yes, my friend's bike is EFI.

Best regards.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mimo

Thank you very much for you information guys, then if I understand correctly, it is basically a high performance ignition module, right? How would you compare the PCIII against the Screamin' Eagle performance module??? Which one is better? Where is a good place to get it online?

Yes, my friend's bike is EFI.

Best regards.
[sm=bangbang.gif]

No it is not an ignition module. It is a fuel injection module that controls the fuel and air.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Roger...

Tnx!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

I have a PCIII USB. Be prepared to drop around 300 for one new. Eastern Performance which is a friend of this board sells them.. look for thier ad on the front page.

Think of the PCIII as a "chip" for the bike. Just as youi would "chip" a cars computer that you wanted to get more out of, FI bikes get a PowerCommander.

The DynoJet website has many "maps" ( downloadable programs) that you put into the PowerCommander using a laptop, or a PC. The map you choose depends on what has been done to the bike. They give specific maps based on specific pipes, air cleaners, cams, etc etc etc.

Once you find a map you can go in and adjust some of the values to add fuel, or sometines adjust the timing in parts of the throttle range. This eliminates popping on decelleration, gives more oomph on acceleration, and other things.

The best bang for the buch is to spend some coin on a dyno run and tuning session and let someone who works with this stuff on a regular basis put in thier map, or work with a DynoJet one and massage the numbers in the data table a bit.

Since the MoCo ships these bikes super lean from the factory to keep Uncle Sam happy, any modification to the intake or exhaust will only make it worse, meaning if you think it runs like crap now wait till you lean it out some more. It will run even crappier when you burn a valve or melt a piston because it was running lean.

As for the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) you couldn't give me one. DynoJet is the top dog when it comes to this stuff, not only on HD's but an any make of FI bike. They are also into the carb modding business selling jet kits for bikes.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
uniondog1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THUNDERMAX & AUTO TUNER - that seems to be the answer to all the problems with fuel/air mix on these injected bikes - cost more but no dyno cost - so it will most likely be cheaper in the end. That is the way I'm going

UD1

Old 01-09-2007, 06:05 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Neggy ZRXOA 5248

I have a PCIII USB. Be prepared to drop around 300 for one new. Eastern Performance which is a friend of this board sells them.. look for thier ad on the front page.

Think of the PCIII as a "chip" for the bike. Just as youi would "chip" a cars computer that you wanted to get more out of, FI bikes get a PowerCommander.

The DynoJet website has many "maps" ( downloadable programs) that you put into the PowerCommander using a laptop, or a PC. The map you choose depends on what has been done to the bike. They give specific maps based on specific pipes, air cleaners, cams, etc etc etc.

Once you find a map you can go in and adjust some of the values to add fuel, or sometines adjust the timing in parts of the throttle range. This eliminates popping on decelleration, gives more oomph on acceleration, and other things.

The best bang for the buch is to spend some coin on a dyno run and tuning session and let someone who works with this stuff on a regular basis put in thier map, or work with a DynoJet one and massage the numbers in the data table a bit.

Since the MoCo ships these bikes super lean from the factory to keep Uncle Sam happy, any modification to the intake or exhaust will only make it worse, meaning if you think it runs like crap now wait till you lean it out some more. It will run even crappier when you burn a valve or melt a piston because it was running lean.

As for the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) you couldn't give me one. DynoJet is the top dog when it comes to this stuff, not only on HD's but an any make of FI bike. They are also into the carb modding business selling jet kits for bikes.
Thanks man for the detailed info.... Thanks to all you guys.

Best regards.

Quick Reply: Question. Help needed. PC for touring models...