Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna Try the Clay Bar, Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 PM
firefightermike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna Try the Clay Bar, Any Tips?

I am going to give the clay bar a try to see if I can get the million tiny specks off that have come from nowhere on my black bike. Does anyone have any tips on the procedure? Thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:55 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Never use the bar if you drop it on the ground, throw away and get a new one...very important...I use one all the time, nothing special but don't drop it.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:56 PM
drs0413
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a spray and wipe or quick detailer to lubricate clay, i normally will wash with Dawn dish washing liquid, then clay using back and forth motion instead of circles, then wash again, dry off, then polish, then wax. will usually wax every month, every 6 months or so will strip wax, clay and redo.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

once removed, clear coats and paint will never reappear.

I'd suggest using a good wash and wax.

and save the finish removal for a last ditch temporary fix on the way to a new paint job.

if you have to go this step always try to feather the edges, although the edge of a clear coat will often appear as light line

( and never use steel wool to clean metal parts on a bike)

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-04-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Tried it and I don’t think I had enough of the spray on the paint (although I sprayed the crap out of it). Left a couple of marks that I cant get out. I found that a three step Maguire’s process works best. Cleaner wax, polish, carunba. If it’s going to come off this process will take care of it safely.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When using a clay bar make sure you use a lot of the lubricant. No need to rub really hard either. Let the clay do the work.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
chopper king matt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly as what cruzmisl said and never ever use any kind of washing up liquid as it has additives in it that take the polish off and will eventually make the paint dull
best thing to use is baby shampoo as there is nothing in that but baby goodness lol and yes im being serious

Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer

Never used one on the bike or any black vehicle so cant say how it will work. I just did our entire suv including some of tge chrome with the meguires kit. Detail spray for lube and work clay back and forth. The paint was filthy from our chit weather here and it looks better than new now. It is gold in color I would be skeptical on black but never tried it

Old 06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

water, water, water... that's all you should ever use with a clay bar. PLENTY OF IT! If you let it get dry and rub, you will find yourself compounding which is a PITA.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

Pretty straight forward. Use lots of clay lube or quick detailer to keep the paint lubricated. Work small sections at a time. Make sure you fold and inspect the clay as it becomes contaminated as you don't want these particles rubbing against the paint.

Quick Reply: Gonna Try the Clay Bar, Any Tips?