Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To rebuild or not to rebuild? Motor for 1998 RK

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012 | 12:00 AM
BuckRogers
|
Intermediate
Default To rebuild or not to rebuild? Motor for 1998 RK

Hey guys,

I am having my 1998 Road King COMPLETELY rebuilt by a shop. They are talking about doing a complete overhaul of the motor. Everything.... EVERYTHING, will be replaced, including a swap for a carb. My question is... is it worth it? I do want some power, and the bike is going for that old school look, but should I be looking at putting a new motor in it with a little bit more power? I am looking at spending 4500 for the rebuild. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the input!

Old 06-04-2012 | 01:33 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

1.) why

is the motor worn out, broken, doesn't run ?

it's an evo motor- they last a long time

a.) if you really wanna goes fast, a RK isn't it. a sport bike or a light weight Harley

b.) more power means you find the next weakest link in the chain, clutch, tranny, belt etc.*

c.) more speed ,means you'll want better brakes than the single calipers, better suspension, brace the frame ( and you'll want a Carlini Torque Arm/ Screaming Eagle Race Brace...I have one new in box if you decide to buy one) etc.

another approach is a crate motor- S&S is the premier name. and may cost you less for a brand new motor. and you can keep or sell yours.

"they are talking about..." easy for them to talk about spending your money, you know and trust this shop ?

$4500 is alot to start throwing at a $9000 bike, which will have pretty much the same resale value whether you put $4500 into it or not if it is running fine now.

"Old School Look"
Easier achieved with a 1984 or older FLH, because of the frame and front end changes, or with a softail frame- the softail was designed to mimic the look of a rigid frame bike.
The touring frame the past 25+ year just doesn't and can't look "Old School", unless your name is "Senior" or you have never seen an old bike

I guess your post raises additional questions

mike

* The sign in the Hot Rod shop said:

How Fast

How Long

How Much

You get to pick two

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-04-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2012 | 09:58 AM
BuckRogers
|
Intermediate

Fair enough,

The motor is definitely not worn out. It has 27,000 miles on it and is in great condition. The reason I went with this bike is because I would like to be able to throw my old lady on the back and be able to ride across the country, and since I will be going to Okinawa soon, and the stipulation on their emissions for post-2000 motorcycles require sending them to mainland for emmissions (a 2500 trip) I went with this bike.

The bike will be done by a very well established motorcycle shop, with about 40 years in the spotlight of motorcycles, so I am sure they will be doing everything that needs to be done. To be honest, I will be throwing about 10,000 at this bike for everything that I want to be done, including a new paint job, saddle bags, seat, exhaust, everything. I realize I wont get that back out of the bike, but since they are building it for me, I dont see a reason to ever get rid of it.

So.... you suggest a new motor? arent the S&S motors around 7,000?

Old 06-04-2012 | 10:07 AM
stevevfd
Tourer

27,000 on a Harley motor is nothing as long as it's been maintained. I'd do whatever performance upgrades/emissions fixes you want to it, but unless you have an issue, I wouldn't do a full rebuild.

Old 06-04-2012 | 10:12 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

I would do everything stated except the engine! Can always do it later IF you have an issue!

Old 06-04-2012 | 10:14 AM
BuckRogers
|
Intermediate

Thanks Steve,

That makes sense. I guess I am not talking about a rebuild, but rather an increase in performance.

Old 06-04-2012 | 10:16 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

spend 4500 to rebuild an engine with only 27K miles on it....def not.

Old 06-04-2012 | 10:19 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuckRogers
Thanks Steve,

That makes sense. I guess I am not talking about a rebuild, but rather an increase in performance.
Then cams, exhaust and tuning might be in order.

Old 06-04-2012 | 10:23 AM
BuckRogers
|
Intermediate

Thanks Soft. Thats a great looking bike, by the way.

Old 06-04-2012 | 10:26 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

What used to be popular with 80" Evo's was an 88" upgrade and a cam swap which will easily get you in the 90hp/90 tq range. Plenty of snort and you can stay with the stock, but kitted, CV carb. It will also allow you to gear it a bit taller (Evo's were a bit low on over-all gearing) which will help to deliver better mileage.
Then just ride the thing.

Quick Reply: To rebuild or not to rebuild? Motor for 1998 RK