Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reefer UltraCool Install on 2011 SG 103

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012 | 10:57 PM
Billdoe
Cruiser

Glad to see someone has tested this out.. i seen this in 2 diffrent harley dealers before Street Vibrations in Reno this week and was thinking 459.00 is alot for an oil cooler but a $9,000 engine is worth the cost.. Just put a Jims 131 race engine in my bike and i didnt make it 100 feet in traffic before it got hot and engine light flashed.. was looking at the Jag fan assisted and then seen this last week and was like hmm .. now that i know how well its working im buying one tomorrow .. i heard that the 120 and 131 engine run 20 degrees hotter then smaller engine and i dont have a cooler on my bike from thew factory so this will be on soon

Old 01-21-2013 | 11:30 AM
Splinterman
Stage II
Default Reefer Oil Cooler Works With a Scavenger Oil Change System?

I've got a thermostat-controlled HD oil cooler on my '05 Road King Classic but am considering switching over to a Reefer oil cooler. I use the Scavenger Oil Change System to remove ALL the old oil out of the bike (works great!) but I'm not sure if the Scavenger's "puck" that screws on to the oil filter's mount will fit with the Reefer's oil filter adapter. Does anyone know if the two are compatible? I do not want to give up using my Scavenger system and it appears that the built-in 'lip' on the underside of the Reefer's oil filter adapter may not accomodate the Scavenger's 'puck'...

Old 03-23-2015 | 07:23 AM
dr_photo
Novice

I know that this thread is a bit dated, but have you (or anyone else with the Ultracool Reefer installed) considered adding an AN T adapter in line with a cap on the T to allow you to drain the cooler when changing oil? I'd hate to leave 1/2 qt. of dirty oil at each change. I just ordered this cooler and hope to install it this weekend.

Old 05-09-2015 | 12:29 AM
ubreal
Road Master

I think this cooler is great and thinking about buying one, just a side note I saw a guy use his crash bar as a oil cooler he drill and tap two holes in his crash bar and ran the oil through it. The oil went in one side up and around and then back out the other side he clams it work's great. To me it seems that the oil pump won't have enough presser to pump the oil up through the bar

Old 05-09-2015 | 01:41 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member

Funny seeing people all worried about fans and oil coolers in cooler climates. Ive been riding HDs for years in AZ, rarely see anyone with a fan. The rider will overheat before the engine...

Nothing like sitting in AZ traffic when its 110F outside...

Old 05-11-2015 | 08:08 PM
InTheWinda1
Advanced
Default results

Originally Posted by Esuomm1
Now you can put on the gasket and join the two parts of the adapter together with the 5 allen bolts.

and after all that , the results are what ??
JIM

Old 09-13-2017 | 09:10 PM
dr_photo
Novice
Default I know, sad to be quoting myself... :-P

Originally Posted by dr_photo
I know that this thread is a bit dated, but have you (or anyone else with the Ultracool Reefer installed) considered adding an AN T adapter in line with a cap on the T to allow you to drain the cooler when changing oil? I'd hate to leave 1/2 qt. of dirty oil at each change. I just ordered this cooler and hope to install it this weekend.
No longer have this bike ('05 FLHT), but wanted to share my experience since I just found my original post about this oil cooler.
  1. The oil cooler itself worked great (as a passive oil cooler).
  2. The company has AMAZING customer service. I was a little unclear as to part of the instructions (removing the gasket prior to installation), called them up on a Sunday and they surprisingly answered the phone and clearly explained the whole process and even offered tips to make the installation a bit easier.
  3. Might have been just a fluke of timing (or the 80K+ miles on the bike when I installed it), but one week after installing it I finally got to test the fan usage as we hit HEAVY traffic when we arrived in D.C. for Rolling Thunder. Saw the LED indicator light up and instantly felt the heat on my feet as it sucked in air over the cooler. Was so happy I installed it, for about 15 minutes... that's when my voltage indicator dropped to less than 9 volts - fried stator. Fortunately a good friend rode over from PA and brought me his battery tender (how did I forget to put mine back in the left saddlebag?) and save me a BIG headache. Like I said, might have just been "it's time", but I kind of feel that the additional amps the fan was pulling might've been the proverbial straw...
Regardless of the stator failure, I still think that it was a good investment. After replacing my stator, I wired the fan to an accessory switch on the console so that I could disable it if necessary in the future.

One other note (replying to a previous post about not understanding why folks in cooler climates need an oil cooler):
I am one of those in a cooler climate (eastern Ohio), but I was commuting to Pittsburgh daily. My ride home (60 miles) typically took 2 hours, the first 45 minutes of which allowed me to progress an entire 8 miles. No nice way out of that city between 3 rivers, a tunnel, and CONSTANT construction. Sitting in the "bath tub" (underpass surrounded by high walls on both sides that dips under the elevated roads), air temps typically 20+ degrees higher than the rest of the city as there is no moving air. The Parkway West (US 22/I376, for non-Yinzers) is also referred to as the Parking Lot West due to how slow the traffic moves.

Old 09-14-2017 | 06:29 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Esuomm1
The left one that attaches to the oil cooler adapter goes to the top fitting on the oil cooler and the right one goes to the lower one on the oil cooler.

After hoses are attached, the electrical wiring part is pretty straight forward and the instructions that come with the kit are pretty clear.

Seems like it will take about a half a quart of oil once you're done and buttoned up.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

J

OOPS DIDN"T REALIZE I HAD REPSPONDED TO A 5 YEAR OLD THREAD. LOLOLOL

So what are your impressions thus far?
I had an oil bud OC on for 7 years but had issues w/it on and off w/leaking and last month the threads came/stripped completely out of the adapter plate so decided enough was enough and took it off and put it in the recycle bin.

Looking real hard at the Ultracool Reefer 2.0 now but will probably wait until next season to do so.

Last edited by lionsm13; 09-14-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2017 | 05:00 PM
Esuomm1
|
Tourer

I see the guy in AZ says he never had any problems and the rider would overheat before the bike but my bike would knock and bang something fierce sitting in traffic and going really really slowly through the tunnels. At one point I'd turn the bike off and just guide it down the tunnel's ramp instead of hear it make all that racket.

After install the fan would kick on, and bike not knock.

Overall very glad I installed it.

Old 09-17-2017 | 09:14 AM
Softy 103
Banned

Do you have to use that little green lite?

Quick Reply: Reefer UltraCool Install on 2011 SG 103