Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JVC Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM
LOTL
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JVC Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit

Just finished installing this yesterday and thought id post a few pics. After a lot of reading, research, talking to different installers i narrowed my choices down to JVC, Alpine and Kenwood head units.

I know Pauly3 made a similar post with some great pics, which helped convince me to go with Hawg Wired.

The JVC i went with was the least expensive of the three and i got a great deal from a local distributor for $200 and he was the only one who had any in stock.
I was almost sold on one of the Digital Media Receivers, but figured why not take up that space with a CD player. That and the idea of having a fold down front face to help keep some dust out of the drive did it for me.
I considered the Sony with the hide away Ipod dock, but decided against it.

The model is a JVC KD-A95BT its part of their Arsenal Premium line. Had a few more bells and whistles than its non-arsenal equivalent and the price was within $40 so what the hey. Better EQ, 5 Volt Preamp outputs, 2 year warranty and a couple other things that wont amount to much when your riding.

I went with the Hawg Wired HUA-470 Universal Kit. Looked at both Biketronics and Hawg Wired and liked the look of the Hawg Wired better. Reviews here seemed to be in favor of Hawg Wired.
I have an Arc amp that im running and AVC has to be disabled, so not having AVC control with Hawg Wired was no big deal.
It is a quality piece of hardware and the finished look is top notch.

I also ordered the Biketronics Splash Cover as Hawg Wired wants $125 for theirs. I guess im one of the unlucky ones as it was way to loose and wouldn't stay in place.
Im going to look into some of those clear rubber adhesive bumpers for kitchen cabinets etc. and try putting a few on it and see if i can get a snug fit. If not it was only $18.

Handle Bar controls work great. Installation took about 4 hours. An hour of that was removing the tank and routing the USB cable back to my trunk. I bought a 6' USB extension cable, taped up the plugged connection which landed inside the wireway under the tank. Popped out the rubber grommet in the trunk and ran the USB cable into the trunk. I had previously pulled the antenna cable and will be getting one of the under the fairing antennas.

Due to the length of the leads from the JVC and the extra height of the Arc amp, i wasnt able to put the Hawg Wired interface up on a solid surface. I could have lengthen the leads, but just tie wrapped it in place below the radio.

One of the drawbacks to this and other aftermarket radios is daylight viewing. For us over 50 crowd, night time viewing isnt much easier with the smaller font.
I was hoping that with the bigger full face display id get a larger font.
Today its raining, so no chance to tweak things on the radio. I did read through the manual and supposedly there is a display feature to increase the font size and clock size. Hopefully we will have a dry hour or two tomorrow and i can get out there and have at it.

The Gear

Original HK Factory Radios last moments...

Size Comparison of JVC Head Unit and Factory HK Radio

Front shot of both radios

Installed JVC Radio without Arc Amp

Completed Install of JVC Head Unit and Hawg Wired Kit.

Fold down face of JVC for CD access.

Routing USB Cable

Finished install with Arc Amp

I had to post this one just to see how many "Whats with all the **** on your handlebars" comments ill get.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 PM
WOLFMAN94
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Whats with all the **** on your handlebars"

Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,770 Likes on 22,735 Posts

Nice Job!!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 PM
bubdifab
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should dump that sirius tuner on your bars and use your new jvc to run Sirius.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:28 PM
LOTL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bubdifab
I think you should dump that sirius tuner on your bars and use your new jvc to run Sirius.
The cheapskate in me doesnt want to have to pay the extra monthly charge. Plus i have to pay for the Sirus/XM module.

I use the SkiFi2 in my work van and just swap it back and forth. I get a ton of dead spots whenever im under tree cover. Up in the hills of NH and Vermont and elsewhere here in New England there is a lot of tree cover. I may just dump the whole thing and use Pandora or the 32GB Flash drive i plan on loading up.

Looks like sun tomorrow, so hopefully ill give the bluetooth and Pandora a shot and fill up the drive.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 PM
CC Rainman
Tourer

How did the splash shield fit?

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 AM
LOTL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CC Rainman
How did the splash shield fit?
I mentioned above that it didnt. Its loose on all 4 sides. Im going to try and get some clear adhesive rubber strips or bumpers and fill in the gaps.

Quote from Biketronics website: "Splashcovers fit directly over the face of the radio, and are installed by simply pushing them into place."

Im assuming the Hawg Wired kit keeps the radio set back inside the bezel further and that the cover cant fit around it? The only way it might fit with my setup is to attach the rubber strips to the edges and have it fit tightly against the opening in the fairing.

You can see in the pictures shown in Biketronics installation guide, that it does appear the head unit protrudes out further.
http://www.biketronics.com/content/BT1000.pdf

Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Larry, nice job and nice post.

Thanks for the write up. I am looking forward to seeing it IRL.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Inthuwind
Novice

Nice!! Is there a plug and play harness for any receiver that will let you retain handlebar switch controls...I have a JVC KD AR870 I'd like to use.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
LOTL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Inthuwind
Nice!! Is there a plug and play harness for any receiver that will let you retain handlebar switch controls...I have a JVC KD AR870 I'd like to use.
Looks like your in luck. Go to the link below and scroll down to the "list of discontinued known or assumed* compatible source unit model numbers"
Yours is listed but JVC's website doesnt show yours as having a steering wheel remote lead.
http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...products_id=96

Your best bet is to call Hawg Wired. They are great to deal with. Good luck with your install.

Quick Reply: JVC Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit