Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pledge: Long term use? On everything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012 | 10:52 AM
Dew Me
|
Elite HDF Member
Question Pledge: Long term use? On everything?

On this forum I have seen Pledge recommended more than anything else. Doesn't seem right though. Can I get some responses from people that have used Pledge long term (and define long term) confirming it does or doesn't hurt paint, chrome, plastic, windshields? As well as how often they use it. Is it only good for slightly dirty bikes or it doesn't mater how dirty? Also does it ever create any wax buildup? (I think the old ads say "with no waxy buildup" so I chuckled a bit when I asked that)

Old 06-02-2012 | 11:07 AM
jjpish
Road Captain

I have used it before on various bikes. It does put a nice shine on everything (never used it on a windshield). The only problem is that pledge pickes up dust. Spray it on a rag and wipe the coffee table and it grabs up the dust. What I have noticed especially on a black bike is that it collects dust on the bike. Wipe it on in your garage and it shines nice, take it out for a ride and it is covered in dust. I stopped using it.

Old 06-02-2012 | 11:15 AM
tombeving
Road Master

I live in the desert and in one day even with a cover on the bike there will be a coating of dust on my bike. I spray Pledge on a detailing rag and wipe my bike down. It works very well for removing dust, but not much else. I haven't noticed any problems using Pledge.

Old 06-02-2012 | 11:52 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's everything you need to know about Pledge (and more):

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/detai...on-pledge.html

Old 06-02-2012 | 12:06 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I've been using Pledge for over 15 years on my boats and bikes. A long-time commercial fisherman up in Alaska tipped me off to it, and we started using pledge instead of rain-x on the windows on our boat to help the water bead up and roll off. These are plastic windows, some hard lexan and some are flexible plastic that roll up with the canvas. There is no evidence that the use of pledge causes or contributes to yellowing or fading of the plastic.

Old 06-02-2012 | 12:07 PM
tubeman426
Cruiser

Pledge will yellow clear plastics, wife used to cean the stero turn table lid with it. It turned brite **** yellow in a couple years. They make quick detail products for cleaning and waxing your bike which works better. Why the hell you would want to use furniture polish is beyond me. Shure pledge is cheap, but harleys are not. The people using pledge seem to have the most scratches on thiere paint, also it looks like it leaves a greasy film which seems to attract dust and dirt.
Leave the pledge for hondas and lawn furniture.

Old 06-02-2012 | 12:17 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tubeman426
Pledge will yellow clear plastics, wife used to cean the stero turn table lid with it. It turned brite **** yellow in a couple years. They make quick detail products for cleaning and waxing your bike which works better. Why the hell you would want to use furniture polish is beyond me. Shure pledge is cheap, but harleys are not. The people using pledge seem to have the most scratches on thiere paint, also it looks like it leaves a greasy film which seems to attract dust and dirt.
to each his/her own, but I've been using it on my windshield for years - no yellowing, if you are getting yellowing, you have a deffective windshield for reasons other than Pledge. Been using it on leather, paint, plastic for years, great results, no issues.

And if you are getting a greasy film, you arent wiping it off.

Old 06-02-2012 | 12:21 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tubeman426
Yellowing and fadding on cheep thin plastic YES.

Old 06-02-2012 | 12:25 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain

I've only used it on windshields since the '80's no yellowing ever.
Actually fills in some of the smaller scratches.
For the paint, soap, claybar and carnuba wax!

Old 06-02-2012 | 12:37 PM
mikesth
Cruiser

Can I get some responses from people that have used Pledge long term (and define long term) confirming it does or doesn't hurt paint, chrome, plastic, windshields? - *4 Bikes, 12 years, no damage

As well as how often they use it. - After every ride unless the bike is wet with roadgrime and/or muddy

Is it only good for slightly dirty bikes or it doesn't mater how dirty? - I won't use it when the bike is wet with roadgrime and/or muddy

Also does it ever create any wax buildup? - no, including multiple windshields - no buildup

My tip was from an Alaskan bush pilot - using it on his plane's windshield. The one downside I am aware of is that the Lemon Pledge (only one I will use) will attract bees...even in the dead of winter I have had a bee show up to check it out.

Quick Reply: Pledge: Long term use? On everything?