Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pledge: Long term use? On everything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012 | 01:37 PM
99%er
Cruiser

Every spring full wash then wax with Gary's Satin Marine / RV Wax.
Rest of year maybe once a month, its a wash, dry with soft terry cloth towel then pledge baby! In less than an hour it is looking great.
Never any negative effect from the Pledge however I only use it afer a good wash and dry. Do you wax a car without washing first?? Arent you just dragging dirt around otherwise?

Old 06-02-2012 | 01:49 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dew Me
On this forum I have seen Pledge recommended more than anything else. Doesn't seem right though. Can I get some responses from people that have used Pledge long term (and define long term) confirming it does or doesn't hurt paint, chrome, plastic, windshields? As well as how often they use it. Is it only good for slightly dirty bikes or it doesn't mater how dirty? Also does it ever create any wax buildup? (I think the old ads say "with no waxy buildup" so I chuckled a bit when I asked that)
I've been using Pledge on all my bikes for more than 14 years.
How could it hurt paint? There are several coats of clear over the paint, you know.
It works fine also on chrome, plastic and windshields. I use it each time I wash the bike. Waxy build up? None whatsoever, if you use it the way it's supposed to be. I spray Pledge on a microfiber cloth, run the cloth all over the bike, then use another clean microfiber cloth and wipe gently until I get a nice shine.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-02-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2012 | 02:22 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Pledge has it's place. To quickly remove pollen and other kinds of soft particles from an otherwise clean bike, it is just fine. You try rubbing anything around on your bike that is gritty, however small, it will scratch. Clear coats are a funny thing, you can wash, dry, and polish your bike with soft cotton towels, and it will leave small scratches that you can see under the right light. I have seen this time and time again, more pronounced on darker colors in the reflection. But a clean microfiber towel in good condition with no grit present, using a quality product, I have found yields the best results.
So, under the right conditions, pledge will be fine, just beware of anything gritty or scratchy.

Old 06-02-2012 | 03:41 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer

Once a year, I wax all the paint with Duragloss and use Turtlewax Chrome Polish on the chrome. Then, a wash with Duragloss car wash about once a month. In between washes or when we're on a week vacation, it's Lemon Pledge. I spray it on a diaper and apply. Then, I buff it off with a microfiber towel. It really cleans a bike up nicely. Anytime I need to clean the windshield, front fairing or lowers of bugs, I use a generous helping of Pledge. It gets the bugs right off.

I've never had any problems with Pledge...I think it's the bomb!

Tip: Get a pack of Pledge wipes and keep in the saddlebag. They are great for cleaing the windshield (and your glasses) while out on the road.

Old 06-02-2012 | 04:00 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

I use it on everything except leather. It is fantastic on the windshield! After the first time, the bugs just slide off. Do a search on the forum. there are LOTS of threads on how well Pledge works on everything. Except for the guy above, I haven't seen anyone claim that it damages anything.

Another member of the forum, Pointman, posted a detailed and very persuasive analysis of Pledge and its ingredients. I edited out some of his humor to cut the length. Here it is:
I am a scientist just not a rocket scientist. I deal with organic, inorganic chemistry and do research in chemical engineering.
Lets start out with the actual ingredients found in a spray can of Pledge.

Please note that the base formula will be different being dispensed from a spray can or pressurized aerosol vessel due to the fact that a "propellant" is needed to transfer the product from the container to a surface, in this case lets say a fender or a windshield. A trigger plastic spray container would not require this propellant additive.

For the purpose of this discussion, I will list the information relative to Pledge in the aerosol spray can as it appears to be the most common used by others on this forum.

The base ingredients are:
  1. Naphtha, petroleum, light alkylate 5%-10% or (isoparaffinic hydrocarbon solvent)
  2. Polydimethylsiloxanes (Silicon oil) 5%-10%
  3. Water 70%-85%
  4. Butane1% -5%
  5. Isobutane1% - 5%
  6. Propane1% - 5%
Now we can breakdown what these are and what they do.

The first ingredient is:

1-Naphta,petroleum,light alkylate.
This is a hydrocarbon solvent-based dispersant formulation which combines oil penetrability. In other words remember the label says "smear and smudge proof"? These are the ingredients that will break down and remove the smears, finger or dermal tissue oils. Criminals take note.. use this to eliminate finger prints. Just dont be a dumb azz and leave the can behind!!

Now, what is a hydrocarbon?
A general term for organic compounds which contain only carbon and hydrogen. They are divided into saturated and unsaturated hydrocarbons, aliphatic (alkane or fatty) and aromatic (benzene) hydrocarbons. Crude
oil is essentially a complex mixture of hydrocarbons.

To break it down even further, I will now define an organic compound.

An organic compound is any member of a large class of chemical
compounds whose molecules contain carbon.
What is carbon you asked? I knew ya would!!

Carbon is a chemical element with symbol C and atomic number 6. As a member of group 14 on the periodic table, it is nonmetallic and tetravalent (a state of an atom with four electrons making four electrons available to form covalent chemical bonds.)

A chemical element is a type of atom that is distinguished by its atomic number; that is, by the number of protons in its nucleus. The term is also used to refer to a pure chemical substance composed.

What does this all mean?? It is a pure chemical substance.
Why is it in there? Remember the finger print? It is a solvent that removes oily residues. This is the cleaning agent in the product.
Look at the can.."It dusts and cleans". this is what makes it clean/remove dirt,grease,oil,grime.

That was the more lenghty one. The remainder are relatively simple. If you are still reading at this point, thanks for bearing with me.Go grab another beer! I will summarize at the end and compare to other products on the market in terms of ingredients, costs and results.

The second noted ingredient is:

2-Polydimethylsiloxanes or Silicon oil 5%-10%.
This is silicone based oil. The molecular structure of this is such that friction is significantly reduced. This nifty additional ingredient is also the reason why the ..refer to label again.. NO WAX BUILD-UP!! Silicone will blend with it'self and not mix or layer with other chemicals.
It does however have the ability to **** bike painters off due to the fact that it needs to be completely removed proir to coating with paint. If not...start all over again. It makes surfaces slick so that nothing sticks. It also provides the shine to the surface.
This chemical is also present in 95% of products us bikers use on our scoots such as Armor All, Meguires Wax and STP Son of a Gun just to mentiion a few so if you are worried about using Pledge in the past on your bike, you may alraedy have and just did not know it.
This silicone oil is also an ingredient in Right Guard deodorant, baby powder,Desitin, Gillette Dry and several moisturizers and creams. This is why Pledge does not contain wax, they use this instead.

The third ingredient:

3-Water. This acts as a dilutor. Kind of like "filler" in cheap dog food but in liquid form.
Cant use the product undiluted.

The remaining butane, isobutane and propane are the propellants that assist in expelling or propelling the liquid product from the can. Sorta like lighting a fart. The methane is the fart building under

Other ingredients such as aromatic compound like orange, lemon or any other organic scent additive can also be incorporated.

Several products out there are costly for several reasons. 1 because of proprietary ingredients/raw materials, 2 advertising costs, supply and demand and product to market costs. What will the market bear? I have always compared ingredient when shopping. Silicone oil is silicone oil.

In summary:
  • Will not damage finish
  • Will provide a nice shine
  • Will not build up or layer
  • Safe on windshield. No alcohol or amonia
  • Safe on chrome
  • Also has some (although not real good) anti corrosion properties. I use Boeshield T-9 for this application.
One precaution!! Flammable! Do not use around open flames or on hot pipes or other hot components. Do not get on or use on denim ar matted finishes!!

Well, I hoped this helps. Like I said, I have never used "Pledge". But I have applied the same ingredients in Pledge (just under a different name...Maguires Wax) on my bikes not knowing it, and they have all looked great!

Now get off the computer and spray your bike with Pledge!, or go riding...

Last edited by TKDKurt; 06-02-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2012 | 04:25 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I use it on everything except leather. It is fantastic on the windshield! After the first time, the bugs just slide off. Do a search on the forum. there are LOTS of threads on how well Pledge works on everything. Except for the guy above, I haven't seen anyone claim that it damages anything.

Another member of the forum, Pointman, posted a detailed and very persuasive analysis of Pledge and its ingredients. I edited out some of his humor to cut the length. Here it is:
I am a scientist just not a rocket scientist. I deal with organic, inorganic chemistry and do research in chemical engineering.
Lets start out with the actual ingredients found in a spray can of Pledge.

Please note that the base formula will be different being dispensed from a spray can or pressurized aerosol vessel due to the fact that a "propellant" is needed to transfer the product from the container to a surface, in this case lets say a fender or a windshield. A trigger plastic spray container would not require this propellant additive.

For the purpose of this discussion, I will list the information relative to Pledge in the aerosol spray can as it appears to be the most common used by others on this forum.

The base ingredients are:
  1. Naphtha, petroleum, light alkylate 5%-10% or (isoparaffinic hydrocarbon solvent)
  2. Polydimethylsiloxanes (Silicon oil) 5%-10%
  3. Water 70%-85%
  4. Butane1% -5%
  5. Isobutane1% - 5%
  6. Propane1% - 5%
Now we can breakdown what these are and what they do.

The first ingredient is:

1-Naphta,petroleum,light alkylate.
This is a hydrocarbon solvent-based dispersant formulation which combines oil penetrability. In other words remember the label says "smear and smudge proof"? These are the ingredients that will break down and remove the smears, finger or dermal tissue oils. Criminals take note.. use this to eliminate finger prints. Just dont be a dumb azz and leave the can behind!!

Now, what is a hydrocarbon?
A general term for organic compounds which contain only carbon and hydrogen. They are divided into saturated and unsaturated hydrocarbons, aliphatic (alkane or fatty) and aromatic (benzene) hydrocarbons. Crude
oil is essentially a complex mixture of hydrocarbons.

To break it down even further, I will now define an organic compound.

An organic compound is any member of a large class of chemical
compounds whose molecules contain carbon.
What is carbon you asked? I knew ya would!!

Carbon is a chemical element with symbol C and atomic number 6. As a member of group 14 on the periodic table, it is nonmetallic and tetravalent (a state of an atom with four electrons making four electrons available to form covalent chemical bonds.)

A chemical element is a type of atom that is distinguished by its atomic number; that is, by the number of protons in its nucleus. The term is also used to refer to a pure chemical substance composed.

What does this all mean?? It is a pure chemical substance.
Why is it in there? Remember the finger print? It is a solvent that removes oily residues. This is the cleaning agent in the product.
Look at the can.."It dusts and cleans". this is what makes it clean/remove dirt,grease,oil,grime.

That was the more lenghty one. The remainder are relatively simple. If you are still reading at this point, thanks for bearing with me.Go grab another beer! I will summarize at the end and compare to other products on the market in terms of ingredients, costs and results.

The second noted ingredient is:

2-Polydimethylsiloxanes or Silicon oil 5%-10%.
This is silicone based oil. The molecular structure of this is such that friction is significantly reduced. This nifty additional ingredient is also the reason why the ..refer to label again.. NO WAX BUILD-UP!! Silicone will blend with it'self and not mix or layer with other chemicals.
It does however have the ability to **** bike painters off due to the fact that it needs to be completely removed proir to coating with paint. If not...start all over again. It makes surfaces slick so that nothing sticks. It also provides the shine to the surface.
This chemical is also present in 95% of products us bikers use on our scoots such as Armor All, Meguires Wax and STP Son of a Gun just to mentiion a few so if you are worried about using Pledge in the past on your bike, you may alraedy have and just did not know it.
This silicone oil is also an ingredient in Right Guard deodorant, baby powder,Desitin, Gillette Dry and several moisturizers and creams. This is why Pledge does not contain wax, they use this instead.

The third ingredient:

3-Water. This acts as a dilutor. Kind of like "filler" in cheap dog food but in liquid form.
Cant use the product undiluted.

The remaining butane, isobutane and propane are the propellants that assist in expelling or propelling the liquid product from the can. Sorta like lighting a fart. The methane is the fart building under

Other ingredients such as aromatic compound like orange, lemon or any other organic scent additive can also be incorporated.

Several products out there are costly for several reasons. 1 because of proprietary ingredients/raw materials, 2 advertising costs, supply and demand and product to market costs. What will the market bear? I have always compared ingredient when shopping. Silicone oil is silicone oil.

In summary:
  • Will not damage finish
  • Will provide a nice shine
  • Will not build up or layer
  • Safe on windshield. No alcohol or amonia
  • Safe on chrome
  • Also has some (although not real good) anti corrosion properties. I use Boeshield T-9 for this application.
One precaution!! Flammable! Do not use around open flames or on hot pipes or other hot components. Do not get on or use on denim ar matted finishes!!

Well, I hoped this helps. Like I said, I have never used "Pledge". But I have applied the same ingredients in Pledge (just under a different name...Maguires Wax) on my bikes not knowing it, and they have all looked great!

Now get off the computer and spray your bike with Pledge!, or go riding...
You left out one thing. It atracts bee's!

Old 06-02-2012 | 04:40 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
to each his/her own, but I've been using it on my windshield for years - no yellowing, if you are getting yellowing, you have a deffective windshield for reasons other than Pledge. Been using it on leather, paint, plastic for years, great results, no issues.

And if you are getting a greasy film, you arent wiping it off.
So have I for as long as Ive been cleaning bikes..on everything: chrome, rubber, plastic, mirrors and yes windshields. I have a 5 gal bucket of clean water and emolient enriched Dawn dish soap that I hand wash ( clean rag wrung out ) everything on the bike by hand. I gently dust paint with a california mini duster first. Simple and perfect.

Old 06-02-2012 | 04:43 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
You left out one thing. It atracts bee's!
Only the lemon pledge, use the orange instead.....if they buzz in to investigate they just fly off instead of attack your wipping rag....and you if you resist.

Old 06-02-2012 | 05:30 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I have been using it for years. It is similar to McGuire's quick detail in components but cheaper. Also, I have switched to Walmarts generic brand for even more savings. Boy am I one cheap son of a gun.

Old 06-02-2012 | 05:59 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

I use Pledge. It works great. Never used it on chrome or my windshield though. I don't really use anything on the chrome except maybe an SOS pad, but mostly just wipe it down with a microfiber towel.
Today I washed my bike and used this. I've had this Fireman's Friend wiping towel for over 20 years and it still works great to this day. Just check it out.

Fireman's Friend, no Pledge.

Still will use the Pledge, but this synthetic chamois is da bomb.

Quick Reply: Pledge: Long term use? On everything?