Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
MOTOX56
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Temp?

First ride last weekend after I installed A HD oil cooler and oil temp gauge. Riding two up 92 degree, loaded for A week long trip,running between 60 & 70 MPH the temp gauge stayed between 220 & 230 degree. Bike ran great and did not seem hot. My question is, what is the acceptable temp and what temp would concidered too hot?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't say anything about your bike and setup. Year, model, engine, upgrades etc. another thread going on about this same subject here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-or-yikes.html

Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up one of those goofy digital oil caps a few weeks ago. Bike seems to run between 250 and 270 on a regular basis. Don't know if the thin air in denver is responsible but it's probably a number I'd be better off not knowing.

2012 FLHTK with absolutely no modifications.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MOTOX56
First ride last weekend after I installed A HD oil cooler and oil temp gauge. Riding two up 92 degree, loaded for A week long trip,running between 60 & 70 MPH the temp gauge stayed between 220 & 230 degree. Bike ran great and did not seem hot. My question is, what is the acceptable temp and what temp would concidered too hot?
Riding in those temps, that's great, be happy!

Old 06-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MOTOX56
Those are good readings you've got. You don't say what year your bike is or how it's set up, but those are acceptable temps.

Start to consider pulling over to let it cool off at around 280* to be safe and avoid problems. The newer 96" bikes run hotter than the 88" motors. Using a good synthetic oil is a good idea if your bike runs hot. Dino oils break down if exposed to extreme temps too many times. Synthetics will take extreme heat far better than dino oils.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Arizona. If 280 was pull over temp then no one would be riding. My bike saw over 300 oil temps in the pan in traffic with no ill effects.
Yes it's hot but the bike will go into safety mode before a rider needs to shut it off themselves.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:30 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Sometimes I think I'm better off not knowing what the oil temp is.
The hottest I've ever seen is 265. During the summer in NYC traffic.
I normally run around 225-230 on the hwy in summer, but my bike has Aftermarket pipes and has been tuned. It makes a difference.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

How many oil temp threads must there be????

The bikes are designed to run around 240 degrees. On the road with plenty of air the temp will be less, even if it's 90 degrees and high humidity. Mine stabilizes around 230-240 running 75 down the interstate for hours. In stop and go, it doesn't take it long to creep up well above the 240 mark, even in 85 degree weather. I've heard stories about police bikes running well over 300 with no issues.

People seem to obsess about oil temps. I've never read a single post about a head cracking or damage to a head or internals proven to be related to excessive oil temps.

It is important to run the specified amount of oil. Some guys run less than full to keep oil from being blown out of the breather. This is not an issue for most folks. Keep the oil at or near full to allow the full volume of oil to circulate, build good pressure, and do a better job of lubricating and cooling. If you run less than the recommended volume of oil, that oil has to run through the engine many more times then it would if the correct volume of oil were present. So naturally it will get hotter quicker and stay hotter longer.

Your bike is normal. Ride it and change the oil at the recommended intervals, if not sooner in hot weather. Syn oil makes a little bit of difference as well since the molecules are all identical and thus less friction than the dino oil.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:45 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say your temps are in the happy range. In my experience you will see cooler oil temps with synthetic (I noted 15 degrees after the switch from dino). I have yet to measure oil temp on my RK.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 AM
BanjoBill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradohunter
I picked up one of those goofy digital oil caps a few weeks ago. Bike seems to run between 250 and 270 on a regular basis. Don't know if the thin air in denver is responsible but it's probably a number I'd be better off not knowing.

2012 FLHTK with absolutely no modifications.

I've noticed too that the bikes run a little hotter up here at a higher altitude. I'm sure its like you said the thinner air just isn't pulling heat off the motor quite as well.

Bill

Quick Reply: Oil Temp?