Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Issues Again, Look at this poop

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

End of the line on that pully. Throw it out.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ebay?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:11 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Here's a few links, mostly from Gates, on belt diagnostics.

http://www.sdp-si.com/web/images/Bel...ysis_Guide.pdf

http://www.bdi-usa.com/FileUploads/C...e_posters_both[0].pdf

If someone were to tell me I had to pick one thing as most likely, I'd say inadequate tension.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have always been told the newer belts are better than back in the 80's, but in 85 I purchased a new EG and every 20k miles I would have a belt like that. At 66k miles I sold it and went to BMW for years. But anyway the Harley dealer was the ONLY one that did maintenance on that bike and they said they could never see anything causing it. Years later I got a bright idea that maybe I caused it by putting the bike up wet all the time.

By that I me I was in California at the time and almost every morning I would ride to work in the fog. Once there I covered the bike immediately. My thought was that maybe I was trapping heat and steam for an hour or so every day. It was a stretch but it was the best possible explanation I could come up with.

You wouldn't by chance be doing something similar would you? I really would like an answer to it to this date. I still don't trust belts because of my original Harley.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I would like to see the old pully lined up next to a new one to see if there is a small difference in the spacing or the pitch of the teeth. Plus or minus in tolerances could cause a problem.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

144K on my 04, no issues.

alignment and tighestness biggest issues

Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I've seen belts go over 100000 mi and still be fine. Hope the sprocket was the issue.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yep, I sent four belts to the grave doing the same thing -- burnouts and wheelies will ruin at belt -- either lose teeth or a quick snap -- I'm going to a chain very soon
Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
i went through primary/secondary belts like that at one point. it was either no more wheelies/burnouts/holeshots or chains... i chose chains. if you arent abusing it like i was and this happened, something is terribly mis-aligned

Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Dyno that bitch! You might have some freak e deek powerhouse !

What about the rear wheel sprocket compensator that sits inside the sproket on the rear wheel. Do you feel a very large clunk when you go into gear! If that's worn or causing a jerk in the belt every time you go into gear or power through the gears I'd imagine that could advance belt failure.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ultrat
The only time I snapped belts was pulling wheelies ..
No more wheelies...for me..
Last one I put on was one for sidecar use . Said to be stronger..
Panther is a good belt also...

51Moe, I've seen some insane riding and skills to boot on many a Youtube video. Bagger wheelies for blocks, burnouts from h*ll. It all looks cool in the pictures, but it does inspire some to want to reproduce some of the scenes they witness. No offense meant, but I believe you came up with the answer to your problem. What clued me in was when you said "Oh yeah, I bang on it."
Your belt being to tight or loose can make a difference, but even more so if your banging on it. Belts can only take so much abuse. The latest posters here have your answer by not riding like that, or changing your belt drive to a chain drive.
Their was another HDF rider complaining about how his front belt drive conversion kept breaking belts. I mean, those suckers are wide and I would think pretty heavy duty. It came to light rather quickly that he too was "Banging on it" as he had a nice looking bike with a nice motor and wanted to rip some pavement. It's obvious that belts just will not take a hard banging when given plenty of power. You might not be producing a hundred horses, but riding style can have a lot to do with that.
My 06' with 57K is still on its first belt, but I have yet to ride it like I would like too. All my reading on HDF, leads me to believe these bikes cannot be ridden like a drag or dirt bike without consequences. Again, no offense meant, just an observation.
I personally ripped two kickstand springs off of mine within days till I realized I couldn't ride mine off of any and every street curb. I've warped a couple three since then as well. I keep an extra in my saddle bag.
My $0.03

aka Bob

Quick Reply: Belt Issues Again, Look at this poop