Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a vest...who's wearing one? I got a Q?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a vest...who's wearing one? I got a Q?

Found a leather HD vest I like but I have never worn one - I was wondering if those that wear them are able to wear them in the summer or are they hot - riding and walking around? I guess I've never paid attention to those around me and noticed if they are being worn.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine walking around with a leather jacket without sleeves - same thing. When it's hot (90+) then yes, a leather vest will make you sweat even more. I like wearing one when the temps are more moderate (70-80), but above that it just makes me uncomfortable.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two vests. One is a rather thin leather and the other not so much. I hardly ever wear the thicker one because it's resricts my movement and in general isn't as comfortable as the thinner one. Yes they're hot in the Summer. I wear mine so I have a place for my phone, my pistol, my sunglasses, etc. If you can find one that is made with supple leather, you'll be better off in the long run. Same goes for chaps.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I plan on getting one for patches and pins. Probably will not being wearing it in 100 degree temps unless on a PGR mission or such gathering. And only then until the event is over. In cooler weather, they can add a touch of warmth by blocking some of the wind to your torso, but remember that most of your body heat exits thru your head and extremities.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacknthebox
Found a leather HD vest I like but I have never worn one - I was wondering if those that wear them are able to wear them in the summer or are they hot - riding and walking around? I guess I've never paid attention to those around me and noticed if they are being worn.

I most always wear one. We have about the same weather here and when it's warm I wear a "vest-extender." It's a chain that keeps the vest semi-closed but lets the air flow through.

It's covered w/patches and pins acquired from my travels and note-worthy towns worth remembering!

My latest is a patch from Deals Gap (the Dragon's Tail) 2012 w/the wife on an epic southern-tier tour.... 3500 miles -12 days - 12 states!!!

South Bend
Knoxville
Nashville
Tupelo
Natchez
New Orleans
Monroe
Hot Springs
Harrison, AR
Memphis
Home again!

Got patches and pins from Deals Gap, Country Music Hall of Fame, Eureka Springs, Graceland and BB King's Blues club in Memphis.

Mementos of fond memories.

Express yourself!!!

Regards,
Ken

Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Fox Creek Leather vest that I like a lot. Has a inside gun pocket for my 357 snubby. It's hot in the summer when you stop and walk around. But what isn't?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
michael427
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always ride with a vest. They are hot when you're off the bike. Side laces help alot. I have a very thick leather vest without side laces and I'm getting rid of it and switching to a denim vest. A vest helps alot with road fatigue and dehydration. It's nice not to have your shirt blowing around. It also helps keep your core warmer in cooler weather.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
BlueShift
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the Fox Creek vest. Made in the USA . HD is made in China or some other 3rd world country.
I think Fox Creek will perforate any leather that they sell .

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Has a inside gun pocket for my 357 snubby.
Ditto.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Best reason to wear a vest is for the pockets. You can carry all your stuff without hauling around a full leather jacket.

I also will wear mine under my jacket for extra warmth when the sun goes down.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a vest...who's wearing one? I got a Q?