Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012 | 11:22 PM
nelson1337
|
Stage II
Default New Member

New member, but do not currently own a HD. I own a sportbike but can no longer stand to ride that style. I hurt my back last year and want to continue riding so I feel its necessary to go with a cruiser. I really like the look of the Street Glide and road king. My question is I'm only 25 and is that a bike someone my age typically owns? Iv done the research between the two and it seems ppl are pretty split on which one to buy. Better suspension and better ride on the RK but You get the fairing and radio with SG which I like. Cruise control is nice since I plan on doing trips on the bike with my wife. Any input would be great.

Old 05-30-2012 | 11:46 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome to the forum, the SG and RK have the same frame, the difference is in the length of the shocks, and they're interchangeable. There are many people your age who ride baggers. The RK and SG are both great bikes and good for long rides. The RK is the most versatile, if you want you can add a detachable fairing with a stereo to it. Read throughout the forum, use the search to find info, and good luck on whstever you decide.

Old 05-30-2012 | 11:58 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

Welcome to the forum!

As you probably know, it used to be that any bagger bike was referred to as a "Geezer Glide". Actually, that mostly referred to Electa Glides such as the EG Standard, EG Classic, and EG Ultra Classic. However, "baggers" have become very popular even for younger people nowadays. For good reason. They look awesome and are practical for putting on the miles. I have a buddy who ended up on an EG Ultra Classic (aka Full Dresser) when we were in our 20's. The thing was though, he had already had Harley's for many, many years and had already worked his way "up" to a full dresser.

The two you are interested in are both great bikes. One thing to keep in mind is that the RK does have available aftermarket Batwing fairings like the fairing on the Street Glide. And they can be installed and removed just like the windshield. You can have a radio also. It's a very nice bike for someone like you who is just getting into the Harley scene. So if you feel like it would be worth it to you and that you would actually take the time to remove it and or the windshield for striped down cruising, it may be the best choice. Even with just the stock windshield the RK is a very comfortable bike. For that matter, it's also fun when you take the shield off.

So you actually may have more options than you thought to get what you want on a RK.

You will get plenty of opinions. That's for sure.

Dave.

Old 05-31-2012 | 12:31 AM
TheArchitect
Tourer

Originally Posted by nelson1337
New member, but do not currently own a HD. I own a sportbike but can no longer stand to ride that style. I hurt my back last year and want to continue riding so I feel its necessary to go with a cruiser.
Since you have a bad back you should really rent the bikes you're interested in and spend a few hours in the saddle to see how it impacts your back. There are many different types of back injuries and it's hard to predict what riding position would be best for you, it's really something you need to try out.

Originally Posted by nelson1337
I really like the look of the Street Glide and road king. My question is I'm only 25 and is that a bike someone my age typically owns?
Personally I think the Street Glide is the most sporty and "youthful" H-D touring bike there is. To me it looks like a stripped down hot rod, it's got the "less is more" thing going for it

Old 05-31-2012 | 01:47 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

I'd get the RK. You can always add a fairing to the RK, but with the SG you are stuck with it. That is MHO, because personally I can't stand the way fairings look. To much plastic rattling around up there, and I think the RK windsheild offers more protection than a fairing.

Old 05-31-2012 | 06:04 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome to the group and congrats on your first post!

Don't be concerned about age and go with what you want and works for you. If you plan on serious touring with your wife, you both will appreciate creature comforts. Fairings, tour packs and comfortable passenger seating will be desirable. Good luck on the choice.

Old 05-31-2012 | 06:20 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheArchitect
Since you have a bad back you should really rent the bikes you're interested in and spend a few hours in the saddle to see how it impacts your back. There are many different types of back injuries and it's hard to predict what riding position would be best for you, it's really something you need to try out.

Personally I think the Street Glide is the most sporty and "youthful" H-D touring bike there is. To me it looks like a stripped down hot rod, it's got the "less is more" thing going for it
+1 what he said Rent before you buy bring the wife with you so you can get the feel for both 2 up

Old 05-31-2012 | 07:13 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dickey
I'd get the RK. You can always add a fairing to the RK, but with the SG you are stuck with it. That is MHO, because personally I can't stand the way fairings look. To much plastic rattling around up there, and I think the RK windsheild offers more protection than a fairing.
If you are concerned about looking like an old fart, in my opinion, stay away from the plastic fairings and bags. (I AM an old fart, as is Dickey, but I still don't like the look of a fairing.) The RKC has leather bags and looks more like a cruiser while still being a great tourer. The windshield comes off in 10 seconds for an even more stripped down look.

Old 05-31-2012 | 08:04 AM
clbking
Cruiser

Hi and welcome to this forum. All great advise here to your question. I also came from sport bikes and here is my bit of advise for you.
First of all, how bad is your back? surgery required to fix it?, no HD or any other bike will help here until this problem is resolved or it might get worse.

I eased into my Road King by going the sport tourer route, (K1200S), then the power cruiser (V Rod), an adventure bike (R1200GS) and even full dress tourers (GL1800), which were all great rides but lacked something. I got bored after the rides and just parked the bike and that's it.

I even had some cruisers that did not do it either (BMW's R1200C and an '05 Fatboy) so when I sat on a Road King, I was blown away at how comfy and cool looking it was. It has a classic cruiser look but since it belongs to the touring family of HD bikes, it has all the attributes of the line. I am super happy with this bike. Its smooth (more than my FB), has a nice touring range (approx 180 miles), adequate power (torque), very comfy, has lockable hard cases, easy to change to the cruiser look by detaching the windshield in 5 seconds (specially beneficial on those hot humid summer days), and tons of accessories from HD and the aftermarket.
Add a GPS and and a backrest for your wife and you can go anywhere.
I've rented a SG for a week in AZ and its also a great bike with the sounds but its not a requirement for my riding. Check out the Road Glide Custom as well Rent them for a full day or 1/2 day each. Ride on the highway to test the wind protection for each (they are all different), and some twisties for handling characteristics. The SG and RG have a 1" lower rear suspension than the RK. A lot of owners here have changed their suspension to Ohlins, Progressive , HD Premium shocks, etc.
Hopefully you get a knowledgeable sales guy that can also help you out in your choice but definitely research here first so you go in armed.
Good luck with your decision. Its all fun!

Old 05-31-2012 | 08:31 AM
jjpish
Road Captain

I would take a ride on any that you are interested in and see what you think. I had a RKC for years and loved it. Traded last fall for a EG Ultra. I looked at the SG as well and figured I could take anything I did not want today off and have it for tomorrow. There are people of all ages riding all kinds of bikes, the cool part is you can start with any bike and make it what you want.

This is the 03 RKC Classic I had:

This is the 2011 EG Ultra I Have:

You can do pretty much anything you want to them with all the aftermarket parts out there. I just turned 44 so I am a couple years older than you, but not an "Old" guy yet... Good luck in finding your new bike.

Quick Reply: New Member