Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012 | 08:45 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome to the forum....which ever model you go with, with a bad back you should factor in a good backrest. Its kept me in the saddle while the Dr's keep telling me I shouldnt.

Old 05-31-2012 | 09:17 AM
jsims002
Cruiser

I would go to a demo day at a local dealer and test ride some bikes. I don't think age is a factor. This past weekend at Rolling Thunder, I saw all different kinds of bikes and riders. Guys in their 50s + on Sportys, young guys and women on SGs, EGs and full dressers. I think a contributing factor in older folks riding touring bikes is the cost. They're not cheap you know.

Old 05-31-2012 | 09:23 AM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor

Welcome from sunny Southern California

Old 05-31-2012 | 09:35 AM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer

Originally Posted by nelson1337
New member, but do not currently own a HD. I own a sportbike but can no longer stand to ride that style. I hurt my back last year and want to continue riding so I feel its necessary to go with a cruiser. I really like the look of the Street Glide and road king. My question is I'm only 25 and is that a bike someone my age typically owns? Iv done the research between the two and it seems ppl are pretty split on which one to buy. Better suspension and better ride on the RK but You get the fairing and radio with SG which I like. Cruise control is nice since I plan on doing trips on the bike with my wife. Any input would be great.
Ignore the stereotypical age BS associated with any bike. Get what YOU want. If you talk to alot of people who ride 'baggers' now you hear alot of the 'why did I wait so long to get one' type of statements. Sportbikes are nice, and if you ever have enough for a 2nd bike grab one for those go fast moments you have.

Like others said.. go demo or rent the ones you are interested in. Having the wifey come along helps too. BUT, understand that stock seats usually aren't the best, and if she complains about the seat, that can be changed. Don't purchase based on her not liking the seat if she likes the rest. Cuz I could be she will like an Ultra seat more then an SG seat...but with a backrest and the right seat the SG could be far more comfy. Its a tough decision, but most people change out seats, shields, bars, and other things to make it really great. Some people like stock set-ups but subtle changes can make a big differences. You can make any HD fit your needs with the amount of aftermarket from HD or others out there.

Your wallet my alter your decision too. If you can go new, great, but there are some outstanding deals on used low miles bikes as well. I was looking at the SG, but the Ultra was cheaper used in my price range so I got one with 13k in odo...., and I took off the tourpack, and bag guards and it looks more like an SG now. BUT, when me and wifey tour, and when my son is older, I can put the pack back. I don't mind the look and let me tell you.. it adds a TON of extra space.

I like the RK too, and adding a fairing later is pretty easy with the options out there for that too.

Good luck and don't let your head spin too badly while trying to decide. LOL

Old 05-31-2012 | 09:51 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

I really do like the look of the RK. But as far as the removable fairing goes, I would venture a guess that once you put one on, you won't want to take it off. Sometimes I miss the ride and feel of my old fatboy, but once I get in the saddle of my SG, I don't even think about wanting to remove the fairing......ever!

I would go for the SG. You already have some form of stereo from the factory (although in stock form it pretty much sucks), better gauges, and a more "finished look". Not to mention the cleaner look of the front and rear fenders that you couldn't get on the RK w/o mods.

Shakey

Old 05-31-2012 | 12:00 PM
nelson1337
|
Stage II

Originally Posted by clbking
Hi and welcome to this forum. All great advise here to your question. I also came from sport bikes and here is my bit of advise for you.
First of all, how bad is your back? surgery required to fix it?, no HD or any other bike will help here until this problem is resolved or it might get worse.

I eased into my Road King by going the sport tourer route, (K1200S), then the power cruiser (V Rod), an adventure bike (R1200GS) and even full dress tourers (GL1800), which were all great rides but lacked something. I got bored after the rides and just parked the bike and that's it.

I even had some cruisers that did not do it either (BMW's R1200C and an '05 Fatboy) so when I sat on a Road King, I was blown away at how comfy and cool looking it was. It has a classic cruiser look but since it belongs to the touring family of HD bikes, it has all the attributes of the line. I am super happy with this bike. Its smooth (more than my FB), has a nice touring range (approx 180 miles), adequate power (torque), very comfy, has lockable hard cases, easy to change to the cruiser look by detaching the windshield in 5 seconds (specially beneficial on those hot humid summer days), and tons of accessories from HD and the aftermarket.
Add a GPS and and a backrest for your wife and you can go anywhere.
I've rented a SG for a week in AZ and its also a great bike with the sounds but its not a requirement for my riding. Check out the Road Glide Custom as well Rent them for a full day or 1/2 day each. Ride on the highway to test the wind protection for each (they are all different), and some twisties for handling characteristics. The SG and RG have a 1" lower rear suspension than the RK. A lot of owners here have changed their suspension to Ohlins, Progressive , HD Premium shocks, etc.
Hopefully you get a knowledgeable sales guy that can also help you out in your choice but definitely research here first so you go in armed.
Good luck with your decision. Its all fun!
Thanks everyone for the great info. The decision truly is hard. The best thing probably is just go rent the two and go from their. My back didn't require surgery it just gets soar from time to time from an accident I was involved in last year. (not bike related)