Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does lowering really impact handling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012 | 02:10 AM
Ben E
|
Road Captain
Default Does lowering really impact handling?

Shocks are the next mod and i would love to come down an inch front and rear (probably Ohlins and monotubes). Lot of conflicting posts--some folks saying lowering definetly negatively impacts handling others saying no difference. What's the deal? Is it a matter of degree? Will one inch really matter?

Old 05-30-2012 | 02:29 AM
Saddle Tramp
Cruiser

i have a 06 EGC, all i can say is i used lowering blocks on the rear and lowered it 3 inches, i think it rides better, shocks still have same amount of travel in them, i might be saying this wrong but im not a engineer, but i think it changed the geometry of the front end also and i think it actually rides better and i know it handles better, even took some of the wobble out of it in corners. As far as loseing ground clearance, there is no doubt i did however i have yet to have to take a curve slower than i wanted to because of the decresed ground clearance, yeah in parking lots turning sharp it drags the boards more, driveway curbs yes i bottom the bike out if im not carefull but that has only happened a couple times as you learn where these places are and avoid them.Over all im more than pleased with the changes it made, im 5ft5 and it sure made a world of differance being able to get both feet on the ground flat and makes it alot eaiser to back up. But i know you will hear just as many things bad about it as good, but its a touring bike, if i was road racing it i wouldnt of done it but i dont need to lean and drag my knee, good luck with what you decide and i hope this helped.

The following users liked this post:
LMCI-Enforcer (03-14-2020)
Old 05-30-2012 | 05:21 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

I lowered my CVO Ultra an inch and I have the Ohlins #6 on it. Didn't affect the handling of the bike at all and I just came off a 600 mile trip up to Michigan 2 up and still didn't notice any difference. In fact my lady enjoyed the ride so much she actually dozed off a few times. But again it was only lowered an inch. Not sure if lowering much more than that would make a real difference in the handling. But like Saddle Tramp said the you will hear the total opposite end of the spectrum from the those that might not have had a good experience.

Old 05-30-2012 | 05:22 AM
131tman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp
'06 EGC, 3" lowering blocks, bike bottoms out if not careful.
Great advice!

11" ULTIMA Billet Shocks (1.2" travel - hand adjustable preload), Bagger Brace, 18" Night Dragon's.
Sweet stance, exceptional handling!

Last edited by 131tman; 05-30-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Groucho1 (03-14-2020)
Old 05-30-2012 | 09:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member

The reason you get different opinions is that the term 'handling' gets a lot of interpretations. If you fit Ohlins you will get an exceptional riding experience and 'handling' will be a thing of the past!

Old 05-30-2012 | 09:50 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Lowering the front and rear will not really effect handling. It will effect lean angle, ground clearance and suspension travel. The change to motube + Ohlins will be so much better than stock ya may not have a problem with the reduced travel/harshness but the same mods without lowering would be a bigger improvement in ride. My RK was lowered 1" front and rear when I got it. It was awful! Normal height now!

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 05-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2012 | 09:58 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member

it really depends on what you do and how you do it

if you lower something from stock you loose clearance no matter, you are now going to scrap more all around, floorboards in turns, speed bumps, driveways etc

if you lower something but increase the spring rates then all should be good

some people lower things by just reducing the amount of travel your stock suspension had and that will give you a rough ride, others do it the correct way and lower with increased spring rates so that you get less travel, but it's a stronger spring or shock and thus you get more spring out of less travel

if you do it the right way for what you are looking to do, then you will still have a nice smooth ride, however this is no the place to get cheap with your decisions

you can lower a bike an inch or two and still have a good ride that doesn't knock out your fillings if you hit a pebble in the road, but a trade off maybe a slightly stiffer ride and for sure you are going to loose lean angle and turning radius

Old 05-30-2012 | 07:15 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

Lower the bike and you'll reduce cornering clearance, i.e., you'll scrape your floorboards at less angle/lower speed.

Shorter shocks generally mean less stroke/travel. Less shock stroke will probably equate to a less comfortable ride, e.g., stiffer springs to keep from bottoming-out.

I have no experience of lowering blocks. But certainly if they lower the bike you're going to affect cornering clearance.

Alan

Old 05-30-2012 | 07:32 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

In general, lowering the rear of the bike only will make it feel more stable at speed. Lowering the front only will make the bike turn in easier at most speeds, but it also will be less stable at speed. Lowering both the front and rear the same amount should be negligible. You do lose lean angle, though (same with footboard extensions).

Old 05-30-2012 | 08:48 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

I have Bitchin Bagger 11" drop shocks. they are stock air shocks cut down, diffrent spring . a slightly firmer ride but comfortable bike handles better

Quick Reply: Does lowering really impact handling?