Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does lowering really impact handling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012 | 10:11 PM
iamfree
Cruiser

just posted a similar question a few days ago. here's my 2 cents: after putting over 3,000 miles on a stock 2011 SG i rented an electra glide. even weighing over 60 lbs more it felt considerably more nimble going thru the twisties and the ride was softer. i've bottomed out on the SG 6 times or more if memory serves. nada on the EG. that's all i got.

Old 03-14-2020 | 10:51 AM
LMCI-Enforcer
Novice
Default Weight Difference

It goes without saying the difference between the SG & a EGC is substantial. I just removed the tour pack from my 16 UCL and of course it's night and day.

2016 FLHTK minis the tour pack. There is a remote antenna kit installed and the filler panel run, turn, brake lights compensates for the loss of tour pack lighting.

Last edited by LMCI-Enforcer; 03-14-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2020 | 11:05 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Eight year thread resurrection ... Well it is close to Easter :>)

The following users liked this post:
Vernal (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020 | 11:08 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp
i have a 06 EGC, all i can say is i used lowering blocks on the rear and lowered it 3 inches, i think it rides better, shocks still have same amount of travel in them, i might be saying this wrong but im not a engineer, but i think it changed the geometry of the front end also and i think it actually rides better and i know it handles better, even took some of the wobble out of it in corners. As far as loseing ground clearance, there is no doubt i did however i have yet to have to take a curve slower than i wanted to because of the decresed ground clearance, yeah in parking lots turning sharp it drags the boards more, driveway curbs yes i bottom the bike out if im not carefull but that has only happened a couple times as you learn where these places are and avoid them.Over all im more than pleased with the changes it made, im 5ft5 and it sure made a world of differance being able to get both feet on the ground flat and makes it alot eaiser to back up. But i know you will hear just as many things bad about it as good, but its a touring bike, if i was road racing it i wouldnt of done it but i dont need to lean and drag my knee, good luck with what you decide and i hope this helped.
What corners? If you lowered it 3 inches you have very little lean angle left to lean into corners. So if you are not sliding off the set in corners, you are probably holding up traffic. I drag stock height FLH bikes. And even after suspension upgrades, I still drag, but less often.