Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pc only- on 07 no other mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007 | 01:18 AM
voodoodrug
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default pc only- on 07 no other mods

I know its been asked but Im really stuck on this. how has this worked out for anyone that is/has done this? comments opinions? mgp? proceived power? engine heat? surging? smoothing?

Old 01-08-2007 | 01:49 AM
kgjl
Tourer
Default RE: pc only- on 07 no other mods

I put a PC on an otherwise stock 07 Ultra. The crossover pipe now has a dull orange glow at night. That is an improvement from the bright cherry red it used to be. It takes a little longer to start now. I have no evidence to document increased power, but it feels a little stonger.

Old 01-08-2007 | 02:17 AM
voodoodrug
|
Stellar HDF Member

kgjl-did you have any thing adjusted on pc other than stock set-up? like low-midrpm fuel efficiencey ?

Old 01-08-2007 | 04:57 AM
kgjl
Tourer

I am running the map provided by Fuel Moto for a stock bike. MPG still around 36. As for surging, the recall from the MOCO improved it some, although I was happy with it before.

Old 01-08-2007 | 11:57 AM
chesterbud
Cruiser

Guys, since the last thread I started on this I called 2 large HD dealers to ask about PCIII. At one dealer I spoke with a service rep but at the second I got to speak with a tech. Both said they do not recommend a PCIII (non HD product of course). The tech in fact said that the PCIII has caused error codes in the ECU that they can't seem to clear. Both dealers used to install PCIIIs and are approved tuner centers. Both say do nothing on a stock bike but say that if I feel I must then they recommend the SERT due to the more adjustability and that HD will likely stand behind warranty on more types of issues. Of course the SERT is about double the cost and can only be used on te one bike.

I'm totally confused now so have decided to run stock for a while and see what I think later.

Old 01-08-2007 | 12:04 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

I put one on my stock 07 Strreetglide, I noticed a big increase of power. Stock map from fuelmotousa.

Old 01-08-2007 | 01:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I have a PCIII on my six-week-old SG, along with Rush mufflers (1.75" baffles) and a K&N kit, all purchased from Fuel Moto (recommended). My intructions to Jamie at Fuel Moto were to give priority to mileage in the cruise range. When I installed it, I began experimenting by further leaning out the cruise range (2k-3k RPM and 5-10% throttle) and the "take-off" range (1K-2k and 10-20% throttle). I set them down to about 1/4 of Jamie's settings and have felt no ill effects. Yesterday I lowered the cruise range down even more to a value of 2, and a quick ride again didn't show any adverse effects (e.g., surging or detonation), even though I have ignition advance on a value of "10" in this range (originally "0"). I'm trying to emulate the effects of an old vacuum advance, which would add 20 or more deg. or more at light loads. The problem is that I don't know what level of advance is already being given by the EFI, so I'm flying blind. Jamie said these advance settings might be high for summer, and I'll keep an ear on it for any signs of detonation as the temperatures rise. Here recommended staying at "5" or lower.

I didn't have the stock setup for long enough to evaluate fuel mileage, but after the PCIII and after all but the last map adjustment my mileage has varied between 43 and 48 on rides, mostly backroads and not more than one cold start. It seems to vary by air temperature, higher when warmer, which makes sense. City mileage where I do many cold starts per tankful is awful, in the mid-30's. In this cool weather it takes the oil 15-20 miles or more to warm up even to 150 deg., and while the engine is cool the EFI will be pumping more gas in the A/F mixture to compensate. I think this is a fact that I'll need to get used to and something that can't be improved. On my old carburteted RK I could push the choke rod in early and be in the lean circuit, but not with this EFI bike. City mileage with that bike was never lower than about 46, going into the 50's on rides or trips, even in touring trim (loaded TP and saddlebags). I've resigned myself to never seeing these figures again, at least not with this new SG.

As for performance, it seems peppy enough and better than before adding the muffler, PCIII, and K&N. I haven't changed the map installed by Fuel Moto in any other area, so full-throttle should be maximized. I would recommend at least some sort of open air cleaner option (K&N, Ness, HD SE, etc.), as that has always been the best bang-for-the-buck improvement. It will require a fuel adjustment, either a new EFI map (Stage 1), PCIII, or SERT. I chose the PCIII based on feedback here and the way it works, adding or subtracting values to the EFI map. SERT changes the EFI values directly, is only useable on one bike, and is more expensive. I think I made the right decision.

All this said, I do think it'd be wise to do a dyno run using DynoJet's Timing Link Software to tweak everything by adjusting A/F ratio directly. I'd like acceleration in the 13.0-13.2 range and cruise at around 14.0, maybe 14.2 for mileage. This bike doesn't seem to run hot, and has never exceeded 180 deg. since installing an HD cooler, and not above 190 deg. before that, even in mild weather. We'll have to see how it does when temps climb into the 90's, however.

I've also thought about trying this setup in closed-loop mode, which would require reconnecting the O2 sensors. According to DynoJet (PCIII) tech support, closed-loop mode bypasses the PCIII and thus it will run as if the PCIII wasn't installed in that narrow range. This will mean very lean conditions (~14.7) in the cruise range and, I think, idle--adding to the heat factor, but should increase mileage. There'll be a fine line between optimized mileage and detonation and/or hot running doing this, though.&nb

Old 01-08-2007 | 03:51 PM
voodoodrug
|
Stellar HDF Member

thank you all. leaning towards waiting some more before adding fuel mod. my dealer in lancaster sidestepped the issue depending on who I spoke to. just added oil cooler,synth oil,and only have 1500miles with 300 with new download. will see how it runsin daytona in march.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18734/D77D1A9E40804CE7ADBB367BB5C24112.jpg[/IMG]