Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke down in Yellowstone "Need some advice"

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

We have two bikes so my son will just jump on mine and we will use the few days to see more of Yellowstone. As far as the build goes the HTCC heads were not hurt in any way so they will be using these again with a set of flat top pistons, bringing the compression down to 9.8 from 10.5 with a set of Andrews 54g cams with the new S.E. Cam plate with the hi flow oil pump as well as the new 103 crank and cylinders. They also explained that the left side crank bearing with be the new "Lefty" heavy one as well. They will re dyno once all done and utilize the existing PC3. This setup as explained will be a bit easier on the motor with less compression and should be a more dependable bike with much better torque. They expect to turn out around 105-110 HP and 110-115 Torque
Anything else I need to know please chime in. And thanks again for all the comments, PM's and replies.

Last edited by SpiderPig; 06-01-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure you use the timkin/torrington full compliment inner cam bearings. HD sells them and every mechanic I've talked to recommends them. When I did my 95" work, one end of one of my cams was scored and the Mech. said the bearing wasn't going to last much longer. Mine was an 06 with 28,000 miles and just a stage 1. I also have a friend who lost an inner cam bearing at 30,000 miles on an 04. He only had a stage 1 and did not abuse the bike. Those INA bearing just don't seem to be very reliable and as you've found a failure can do a lot of damage. I try to tell my experience to save someone else the headache. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of the bearings holding up longer but it's of little comfort to someone who has a failure. Hopefully the timkin bearing will be more stout.

Last edited by carpetride; 05-30-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by carpetride
Make sure you use the timkin/torrington full compliment inner cam bearings. HD sells them and every mechanic I've talked to recommends them. When I did my 95" work, one end of one of my cams was scored and the Mech. said the bearing wasn't going to last much longer. Mine was an 06 with 28,000 miles and just a stage 1. I also have a friend who lost an inner cam bearing at 30,000 miles on an 04. He only had a stage 1 and did not abuse the bike. Those INA bearing just don't seem to be very reliable and as you've found a failure can do a lot of damage. I try to tell my experience to save someone else the headache. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of the bearings holding up longer but it's of little comfort to someone who has a failure. Hopefully the timkin bearing will be more stout.
Thanks Carpetride, I appreciate your comments!

Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 711 Likes on 353 Posts

I can't remember the name of the indy in Cody but the owner goes by "Codyshop" over on HTT. I stopped in to meet him on my trip out there, very nice guy and definately knows HD's!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm guessing your son's parts look something like this?

This was my Dad's 2006 Street Glide Stage 1 after 40,xxx miles.

Zach

Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Biggzed
I'm guessing your son's parts look something like this?

This was my Dad's 2006 Street Glide Stage 1 after 40,xxx miles.

Zach
Zach,
The crank sensor looks the same with the exception that ours was down to the wires in the sensor and the inner bearings looked similar as well. The case where the inner bearings set in, my son's are much worse, the rear especially. The cases are currently at the local machine shop hoping to get them finished by Friday to be able to begin reassembly. I did not see the pump but imagine ours is similar, the cam ends are very similar as well. Once we get home I will post more pictures.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Hey sorry it took me so long to get here but maby i can offer
some help. I never throw any thing away that has Screamin
Eagle on it. When you said HTCC heads I broke open my 07 SE
parts book and found 103 pistons to be used with the HTCC
heads and they offer 10.5:1 compression the part number is
22444-02 They work with ported HTCC heads as well as the
HTCC heads they are forged and in 07 they were 279.99 now
they would probley be 300.00 maby this will help if you need any
else out of my 07 SE book give me a shout

Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Zach,
The crank sensor looks the same with the exception that ours was down to the wires in the sensor and the inner bearings looked similar as well. The case where the inner bearings set in, my son's are much worse, the rear especially. The cases are currently at the local machine shop hoping to get them finished by Friday to be able to begin reassembly. I did not see the pump but imagine ours is similar, the cam ends are very similar as well. Once we get home I will post more pictures.
I really hope your son's cases are not worse than those. Those cases were not repairable. Hope everything works out for you guys.

Zach

Old 05-30-2012, 07:23 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Biggzed
I really hope your son's cases are not worse than those. Those cases were not repairable. Hope everything works out for you guys.

Zach

Should know by Friday morning

Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Hey sorry it took me so long to get here but maby i can offer
some help. I never throw any thing away that has Screamin
Eagle on it. When you said HTCC heads I broke open my 07 SE
parts book and found 103 pistons to be used with the HTCC
heads and they offer 10.5:1 compression the part number is
22444-02 They work with ported HTCC heads as well as the
HTCC heads they are forged and in 07 they were 279.99 now
they would probley be 300.00 maby this will help if you need any
else out of my 07 SE book give me a shout

Thanks 6 Gun. We have the flat tops on order. Went with these to decrease the compression from 10.5 to 9.8

Quick Reply: Broke down in Yellowstone "Need some advice"