Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Monster Rounds

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:37 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have my 2 year old Monster Rounds off right now. The Chrome on the end caps started coming off. Here is what the baffles and wrap look like. I contacted V&H and they said they would sell me the end caps for 1/2 which is $100 for both. I'm considering powder coating mine instead. A friend of mine has a PC set-up and will do them for free.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:39 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Well,

I decided to go for a bit more rumble. I pulled the baffles which took
some effort for me as I have chronic tendonitis in my elbows which really impairs my grip ability. I did the project in about 30 minutes.

I found that once undoing the allen screws that an allen wrench fit diagonally in
the opening of the end cap in the indent that the caps have. I stuck a crescent wrench on the allen and turned the whole works. I got things loosened up in that manner, and fired up the bike using the pulse vibrations to help loosen the baffle more.

After the end cap had moved out about 1/4 " or so, I used a 6" rectangular block of wood and a hammer to gently tap the baffle loose. ( removed saddle bags)

Sound is somewhat louder but not raspy. It did the trick will post pics and video if possible.
BTW, yours must be the Hi-Output Monster Rounds, correct?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 AM
Mike Gault
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson
BTW, yours must be the Hi-Output Monster Rounds, correct?
I hope so i just had my baffles out tonight and they are are much longer then his. Well worth taking the packing off sounds great now

Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Emdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats interesting. My buddy has the monster Ovals and he wanted to do the same but we couldnt figure out how to remove baffle. Called v&h and tech told me both ovals and Rounds have Nonremovable baffles...

Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bump !!

Originally Posted by Emdog
Thats interesting. My buddy has the monster Ovals and he wanted to do the same but we couldnt figure out how to remove baffle. Called v&h and tech told me both ovals and Rounds have Nonremovable baffles...
My take is the baffle/end cap is a complete assembly(end cap is screwed from back side through the baffle flange). Removing the lock screws underside...You can remove the assembly and replace or remove "packing" but the muffler is not designed to run without the baffle. Non-removable.

I too have the longer baffles and as of yet haven't changed the packing although I plan to while I'm in there so to say. I bumped this thread because I also have chrome issues with the tips and have yet to find my receipt of purchase for V&H cust service. Either way if I have to purchase new...so be it

Which brings me to the OP.... did you ever get yours powder coated and if so...PICs ?? I'm thinking of doing the same with mine.
SC