Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King w/fairing or Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road King w/fairing or Street Glide

Well, I did a search to see if anyone had posted about this decision before and did not find anything. I test drove a RK, SG and RGC a few weeks ago. I really like the Road King but also want tunes. I thought I made up my mind to go with a denim black SG but now I'm questioning myself. There were some good threads of RK's with fairings and now I'm torn between the SG and a midnight pearl RK with a Reckless fairing. I like the versatility of the RK but would most likely leave the fairing on at all times. I also like the idea that the Reckless XL fairing would provide a somewhat different look than the multitude of SGs on the road. Has anyone had both these bikes and have any pros or cons to either? Decisions.....decisions....

Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 PM
joewg3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the Street Glide. I have a fairing and love it. I don't image I'll take it off much. I don't think many RK owners with a fairing take them off much. So... it makes sense to just get the Street Glide. The gauges are nicer, it has a tach, and nice fairing mounted mirrors.

I know there's the whole argument that you can always "just take the fairing off" if you feel like it, but let's be honest... the fairing stays on.

My bike with the Reckless Fairing. No complaints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9DvC9WDMU0

Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Dead Center Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a toughy. Both bikes are great. And Joewg3 makes a good point in that the stock fairing has it's advantages over aftermarket. I love the flexibility of being able to take the fairing off and often do remove it. But, we built our company around that notion. If I knew that I would never take the fairing off, then I would probably opt for the SG.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Like others have said, hard choice. We have a Road King with a Dead Center fairing, and love it. Also have a street glide in the family. Love it too, stock fairing has some advantages. For what it's worth, we liked the dead center so much we never take it off even though its doable. lol

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-29-2012, 03:26 PM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had it to do over, I would have gotten the SG over my RK. I like my RK, but the SG has the full fairing with all the gauges, cd player and speakers. Plus, this was 4 years ago and my 2005 wasn't very old, but now I wish I would have gone with an 08 for the bigger motor, tank and tranny. I also got tired of my leather wrapped RKC bags within the first year. I just recently bought a used painted set for my RK, but with the SG I wouldn't have had to worry about that either. Next on the list is a painted matching RK fairing. I should just dump the RK and get a SG, but the RK is now paid off and it feels great!

Last edited by MrHog; 05-29-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:33 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I traded my RK for the SG. I thought about a detachable fairing becasue I still like to ride with the wind in my face. The thing that sold me was the simplicity of the fenders, etc., didn't have the bumpers, lights, reflectors ...... Yes, I could have changed all that too, but opted to do it the easy way. Now I have a few windshields, so as the mood strikes I can get more or less air in just a minute more than it took to remove the detachable. So, you have a tough choice ahead of you, but I haven't looked back, if that helps.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't change to a Glide.
I like, and I do frequently remove my fairing and use a shorty windshield or no windshield.
I like the wind sometimes, it is a motorcycle not a car.
My Deadcenter fairing goes on and off in a minute, is great quality and with the GPS and stereo (ARC amp, Polk speakers and Sony head unit) I have everything I need. My speedo cluster has the tach, I see no need for other instruments.
To each his own though.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I bought my first RK new in '94. First bike I ever had with a windshield. I thought I'd leave it off most the time? I never took it off! I currently have a RK and EG. There really isn't much difference in wind protection and I'm half deaf so a radio on any bike is pretty useless. I like the RG better than either! May switch my bat to a shark?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
trnewman
Tourer

Thanks for the feedback...I know if I get the SG I want to upgrade the speakers, paint the inner fairing and get the titanium gauges. I have an "upgrade" personality...lol. The RK would end up being cheaper even with a painted fairing with stereo. I also like the trim pieces of the RK. May have to go to the dealer a few more times and imagine the fairing on the king. One negative is I don't want to
wait 6-8 weeks for the fairing. I plan on going to Sturgis

Old 05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
trnewman
Tourer

My Deadcenter fairing goes on and off in a minute, is great quality and with the GPS and stereo (ARC amp, Polk speakers and Sony head unit) I have everything I need. My speedo cluster has the tach, I see no need for other instruments.
To each his own though.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The more gauges, wires etc. the more I see that can break..(or needs upgraded). Everytime I think I know what I want I read another post somewhere on this forum that makes me second guess...lol

Quick Reply: Road King w/fairing or Street Glide