Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012 | 01:47 PM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member
Default Exhaust Heat

Has anyone switched back to stock exhaust after changing out to aftermarket pipes? Seems my wife says the new exhaust is hotter then the old exhaust. I have a de-catted set on the way so I might swap out the Rush true duals for these and see how it goes. When we got home yesterday I felt her shoe and it was very warm to the touch right after we got home.

Old 05-28-2012 | 01:54 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Smile No cat = cooler

I've heard/read that once you take the catalyst out of the equation the temperatures drop significantly. Dont know if you've ever seen one but they are very restrictive. Try that before returning to square one with the stock exaust which won't help the heat issue either.
I'm about to do the same thing. Got a stock header from a local guy for $60.00, gutted it and had a friend weld it back together. Now I just need new exaust gaskets and the time to do it.

Good luck

GSF

Old 05-28-2012 | 01:58 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior

My right leg would get HOT sitting still, after removing the cat, no heat!

Old 05-28-2012 | 02:05 PM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member

Let me clarify. I have ceramic coated Rush True Duals on there and the wife says she is getting more heat. I have a gutted stock set of pipes on the way. Might give those a try and see if it is the pipes.

Old 05-28-2012 | 02:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

a few "cat bike" ( 2009 CA & 2010+) riders here have reported satisfactory sound/ performance with stock mufflers on decatted headers.

the cat bikes have less restrictive mufflers than the non cat bikes.

I don't know about heat though- lots of factors from motor tuning to air flow, lowers etc.

good advice is that "thicker" boots and jeans help protect the rider(s) from heat, wind and spills.

gutted stock mufflers are crap shoot as all the science which controls exhaust gas direction, velocity and flow ( tuning) has been removed by a guy with a drill.

a pipe which is too open will have poor velocity, a pipe with out wadding/packing behind the baffle core may allow gasses to eddy and reverse direction.

I know just enough to know not to mess with it- although I do use and tune supertrapps.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-28-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2012 | 02:27 PM
2ropes
Road Captain

Another part of the equation I did not read any comments on here is having the jetting or EFI re-mapped since the new headers and pipes have been installed. If the fuel mix isn't correct for the intake and exhaust flow then it could be running hotter then before.

I'm currently in the market for a Road King and want to get one that is stock, kind of scares me to get a bike with modified pipes added and intake changed without knowing they compensated the fuel mix for those changes.

Old 05-28-2012 | 02:52 PM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member

I know a bad tune could cause the heat. I am running with the SEPST. Have done several smart tuning rides and bike is running good with no pinging.

Old 05-28-2012 | 04:00 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior

I always assumed that with the oil tank right under my right thigh,that the my softtail was hot to sit on. After riding my StreetGlide in some big heat I have to say that it gets as hot if not hotter. I am running stock headpipes w/o cats and believe me when I say that you will feel the heat.

Old 05-28-2012 | 04:18 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

well as has been stated on here several times you are setting on top of a air cooled motor , you are going to get heat , the bigger the motor and leaner the fuel the more heat

Old 05-28-2012 | 05:08 PM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member

No problems on the other two air cooled bikes I have. I know I will feel some heat and this is the first time my wife has said anything about the heat.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Heat