Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner vs Hammock seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundowner vs Hammock seat

What do you guys think? 19k in the Sundowner with no problems. I can sit on the Sundowner all day long but my buddies Hammock has got me thinking. Its softer and more narrow but not sure about the long haul two up?

Sath

Old 05-28-2012, 05:33 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently went from the factory Hammock to the Sundowner on my 07 FLHT and it's the cat's meow.
The pillow top OEM was very cozy, but the trip to sturgis (700 miles) left me feeling crowded.
The Hammock has a nearly verticle back stop where as the Sundowner has a much greater taper to the back which gives me alot more wiggle room. The sundowner is also a tad lower, and moves me back just enough to fit the bill perfectly. I ordered both the Tallboy and Sundowner at the same time, and if the Tallboy was the only option it would have worked, but the Sundowner was IT for me.

I am long limbed and could only set in 1 position where the Sundowner allows me to be able to set upright and forward, feet on the boards, or slouch some and get my feet on the pegs. The flexibilty is nice when "tripping" so I don't cramp up.

Mama likes either for both have some good realestate for the passenger.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:55 AM
djack
Road Master

I've got a demo sundowner on right now,but I've thought about the hammock

Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Theatan
Tourer

I don't know much about a hammock,...?
Butt! I do know the Sundowner is great on both the interstates and
the twists and turns of the Smokies nd Shannadoa Mtns.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The only 'knock' I've heard on the 'Hammock' seat is that the 'hammock' part tends to sag over time. This is just hearsay because I have a Sundowner, and consequently, no desire to try the 'hammock'.

Last edited by RBWIDE; 05-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sath
I can sit on the Sundowner all day long.
Sath
Some guys spend a lifetime searching for a seat that makes them happy on an all day ride. Consider yourself lucky!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

When I first got my CVO it had the OEM seat which was pretty crappy to me compared to my Sundowner I had on my 2000 FLHRCI. I rode it until the Hammock went on sale as I had heard and thought the hammock would be the best as my wife has a bad lower back and since the CVO is lowered I figured the hammock with its 'suspension' seating would be the best. I wasn't sold on the hammock as it sits higher and more forward than the sundowner and I didn't have the back support that I liked. I sold it and bought me another sundowner for my '09 Road Glide........happiest with it

Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 597 Likes on 434 Posts

My thinking is that if you already found a seat that works good for you why change? What works for one may not work for another. Try swapping seats or bikes with your buddy on a long ride. You'll know soon enough.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the newer bikes form 08 on are totally different then an older one, so the replies you get take into consideration. I have 08 FLHTC, hated the stock seat, sent it to Mean City to get mem foam. Waste of money I hated it also. Bought a mustang it was good Wife liked it for me it was good for a couple hours then it hurt my ***. Sold it and bought a Sundowner, hated the way it moved me forward and I would hit my ***** sold it. Bought the Air Zepplin and it was the best seat of all, I liked it so does the old lady, bought I saw a hammock seat on ebay and got it cheap. It is the softest seat of all, you can even feel yourself bounce in the hammock, my wife likes it the best. I alternate between the 2 the thing I like better is the passenger section on the air zep is bigger and looks better since I have the tour pak relocated back, with the hammock there is a gap that looks stupid but you don't see that when riding. Everyone is different, go to a dealer and try it before you buy it, most will let you put it on and take a quick ride with it.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I was thinking about this exact thing. I can't make up my mind on either,so I look forward to other responses.

Quick Reply: Sundowner vs Hammock seat