Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cudos to Glacial Lakes HD of Watertown, SD

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012 | 09:06 AM
ks6c
|
Tourer
Default Cudos to Glacial Lakes HD of Watertown, SD

I just got back from an rather ill-fated attempt at the MTF/IBA 48Plus (49 States in 10 days) but wanted to share one of the real highlights of the trip.

On Day 5, my starter failed in Watertown, SD - home of Glacial Lakes HD. It was a Sunday, though, and like many smaller dealerships it was also closed on Monday. Bummer.

Well, a very kind and generous local couple and their daughter (all HD riders) saw my plight in the parking lot of the Wal*Mart and called J&L HD in Sioux Falls which is open on Sunday and is also Glacial Lakes parent dealership. It was 45 minutes until their closing time so we weren't going to get much done Sunday anyway, but their Service Manager told me he would get on the phone to track down their Glacial Lakes mechanics to open up the shop on Monday especially for me and, failing that, he'd have a truck come up to Watertown to pick me up and return me to Sioux Falls for repairs. He promised that barring a major failure requiring extensive repairs, he'd have me back on the road on Monday. He'd call me first thing Monday to let me know which route was going to happen.

Let me tell you, these guys delivered! Monday at 8am, I got a call from Jimmy saying he had gotten hold of one of their techs who would meet me at the shop at 10am (he was out fishing). 10 am sharp, Seth showed up and 90 minutes later I was back on the road!

There are so many reasons I ride a Harley, and people like the local riders who delivered my bike to the dealership in their enclosed trailer and left it there overnight, and the dealership who called in a mechanic and opened their shop just for me are a couple of them.

Again, kudos to Glacial Lakes HD of Watertown, SD and J&L HD of Sioux Falls, SD and their staff.

As it turned out, I got back on the road and attempted to finish 48 States in 10 days but was stopped in Butte, MT with a winter storm blocking the mountains between me and WA & OR - 46 States in 9 days. So close but yet so far...

Last edited by ks6c; 05-27-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-27-2012 | 09:49 AM
Lyfer
Tourer

I've found that most dealers I've had the pleasure of meeting when broke down or catch flat tires when traveling are GREAT. I've been driven to lunch at the local VFW and back at one dealership. One dealer (Reimer's I believe) offered to open a house up they owned across the street for me so I could shower and get gas off of me after check valve in fuel line failed and sprayed gas all over me. That's not counting the fact that when touring and break down, most dealers stop what they are doing to get your scooter fixed and back on the road ASAP.

Old 05-27-2012 | 09:53 AM
Nabubba
Road Master

Always good to hear the good stories about dealers and not always the bad ones.

Old 05-27-2012 | 10:16 AM
skydude426
Club Member

J&L Harley is my local dealership. It's family owned and operated and I can't say enough good things about them. My wife and I have always felt welcome there and have had great service. I'm glad to hear they took good care of you and got you up and running again. Sorry you didn't make all 48 but it was close.

Old 05-27-2012 | 10:28 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

This week I was talking to a guy who was originally from Aberdeen SD, but now lives up here. He still goes to Glacial Lakes to buy new bikes, (it is over 400 miles from here). He says that the people there are the very best and have always treated him great. Service like that really build a loyal customer base.

Old 05-27-2012 | 12:31 PM
ks6c
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by skydude426
J&L Harley is my local dealership. It's family owned and operated and I can't say enough good things about them. My wife and I have always felt welcome there and have had great service. I'm glad to hear they took good care of you and got you up and running again. Sorry you didn't make all 48 but it was close.
Let 'em know I'm bragging on 'em!

And if you ever meet Roger, Deb and their daughter Ashley from Watertown, know that they're real good people.

Old 05-27-2012 | 01:28 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Originally Posted by ks6c
I just got back from an rather ill-fated attempt at the MTF/IBA 48Plus (49 States in 10 days) but wanted to share one of the real highlights of the trip.

On Day 5, my starter failed in Watertown, SD - home of Glacial Lakes HD. It was a Sunday, though, and like many smaller dealerships it was also closed on Monday. Bummer.

Well, a very kind and generous local couple and their daughter (all HD riders) saw my plight in the parking lot of the Wal*Mart and called J&L HD in Sioux Falls which is open on Sunday and is also Glacial Lakes parent dealership. It was 45 minutes until their closing time so we weren't going to get much done Sunday anyway, but their Service Manager told me he would get on the phone to track down their Glacial Lakes mechanics to open up the shop on Monday especially for me and, failing that, he'd have a truck come up to Watertown to pick me up and return me to Sioux Falls for repairs. He promised that barring a major failure requiring extensive repairs, he'd have me back on the road on Monday. He'd call me first thing Monday to let me know which route was going to happen.

Let me tell you, these guys delivered! Monday at 8am, I got a call from Jimmy saying he had gotten hold of one of their techs who would meet me at the shop at 10am (he was out fishing). 10 am sharp, Seth showed up and 90 minutes later I was back on the road!

There are so many reasons I ride a Harley, and people like the local riders who delivered my bike to the dealership in their enclosed trailer and left it there overnight, and the dealership who called in a mechanic and opened their shop just for me are a couple of them.

Again, kudos to Glacial Lakes HD of Watertown, SD and J&L HD of Sioux Falls, SD and their staff.

As it turned out, I got back on the road and attempted to finish 48 States in 10 days but was stopped in Butte, MT with a winter storm blocking the mountains between me and WA & OR - 46 States in 9 days. So close but yet so far...
Awesome