Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Mile service, should hd do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:10 PM
meanjean
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 Mile service, should hd do it?

2010 sg due for the first service. I dont have any factory warranty left as I'm the second owner and due to age of the bike. Hd wants over $450 to do the first service and a local chopper shop that works on HD will do it for $325. Does it matter who does it? Is a HD mechanic better or more qualified then a mom and pop shop mechanic? The place is called Big Daddy Cycles in Hayes, Va. Never heard bad things or good about them? They told me they will do the same work as the HD dealer and inspect/adjust everything.
Thoughts?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say only if you know the independent does good work through personal experience, or through someone else's close to you. I think the 1k is important enough you might want to have the dealer do it.

Left mine off at the dealer today.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 PM
gonzo3426
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i still think that $325 is expensive...do it yourself if you can...the supplies, synthetic oil probably around $100, invest money on repair manual...

Old 05-26-2012, 09:18 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The dealership has a checklist they use when doing the service (of which you should be given a copy). Some indy's don't have that. Whether or not they hit everything they're supposed to isn't the issue. It's proving to the dealership that it was done correctly if there comes a time for warranty work.

If the indy doesn't use a checklist, then I'd be worried because it's a pretty important service. Things work loose, and the dealership knows what to look for.

On the other hand, not all dealerships are thorough either. One way I check is to ask them how long it will take to do it. If either gives me a short time estimate, I would go elsewhere. I've had my 1,000 and 5,000 mile service done at the dealership. Both took over three hours from the time it went up on the lift. I had a indy do the 10k to save a hundred bucks. It was done in 45 minutes. I still worry about that one, and won't be going back. I know for a fact they didn't check spokes, or critical fasteners.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

The hd dealer will have access to the latest recalls, like the brake switch if not already done. He will have the upgrades to the stereo, all things the indy wont have. Since thebike has so few miles, let the dealer go overit. They have a checklist that they go by. My money would be send to thedealer. If you want to develop a relationship with the indy, do so gradually.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:22 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
The dealership has a checklist they use when doing the service (of which you should be given a copy). Some indy's don't have that. Whether or not they hit everything they're supposed to isn't the issue. It's proving to the dealership that it was done correctly if there comes a time for warranty work.

If the indy doesn't use a checklist, then I'd be worried because it's a pretty important service. Things work loose, and the dealership knows what to look for.

On the other hand, not all dealerships are thorough either. One way I check is to ask them how long it will take to do it. If either gives me a short time estimate, I would go elsewhere. I've had my 1,000 and 5,000 mile service done at the dealership. Both took over three hours from the time it went up on the lift. I had a indy do the 10k to save a hundred bucks. It was done in 45 minutes. I still worry about that one, and won't be going back. I know for a fact they didn't check spokes, or critical fasteners.
it's not a secret checklist! I saved over 200 by having an indy do mine and had syns added besides! would've done it myself but I wanted the paper trail.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 PM
shredder22
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get the service manual, the check list are all there for all the different milage intervals. There is no time like the present to start learning stuff about your bike, iy may come in handy some day plus save you a ton of money in the long run if you plan on riding for awhile.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 PM
dhog
Advanced

Save yourself the money. I am as handy as a one handed baboon and I was able to change all three fluids. Cost.... $75.00. Each spring, I do send the bike to a mechanic to do a quick check to see if anything needs tightening, adjusting or lubing. He charges me $90.00 to go through the bike. As long as you change the fluids religiously, you shouldn't have any issues on a new bike during the 2 year warranty period. Just my opinion.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:31 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the 1k is important enough you might want to have the dealer do it.
+1... I have developed a relationship with my HD master service technicians and feel quite confident in their commitment to my bike's service. My previously owned 2010 RK recently went in for 1K service and my tech even straightened out the heel tab on the jiffy stand which was bent far forward. I did not notice it was bent forward until I got it back and it was positioned correctly. It no longer tweeks the plastic channels on my coaster. Along with the service check list he seemed to take a very close look at the bike.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:40 PM
meanjean
Intermediate

Thanks for all the feedback. There's another dealer in Richmond, I'll get a quote from them also.

Quick Reply: 1000 Mile service, should hd do it?